Hi, My name is Stan. I lived in Ford St St Mary in the early 50s. Would like to hear if anyone lived there at that time ?. I went to Blue bell Hill school in 46, had to leave because of ill health,

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome Stan. My parents and myself as a wee bairn lived at 32 Ford Street St. Mary approx 1957 to July 1959 when we moved out to Eastwood. I wasn't quite a 3 year old when we left so I can't help you with the names you mention. My parents frequently told me stories of Jack Carlisle's shop - must have been on a street corner somewhere near to Ford Street. For some reason even now I can remember number 32 quite well even though we never went back there after we left.

• Upvote 1

Didn't that street run parallel with Turner Street??? There was a ladder maker near Alfred Street, he made wood ladders, and if memory serves me right, a chip shop on the corner with Alfred Street.

I lived in one of the terraces off Turner Street from before I can remember until I was about 13 or 14...Mum got a job at the Lady Bay Dry Cleaners and we moved into the new shop on Alfred Street near the corner of Robin Hood Street around 1961ish

That's better, I was getting mixed up with Plantagent Street, there was an off license on the corner of Ford St and Turner Street, a Shipstones one. I think there was also a shop that operated as a lending library for paperbacks not too far down there too.

I remember the off-licence on the corner of Ford St & Turner St. Used to get our dandelion and burdock there. also there was a fish and chip shop in Plantagenet St where had chips & mushy peas in our own basin everyday ! Oh what happy times !!

• Like 1

Doesn't ring a bell, I recall the woman who always seemed to be serving, can't for the life of me recall her name.

I recall the corner shop on Turner Street/Alfred Street, feller with one eye, we used to get ice cream from him, was also a confectioners shop dead opposite Turner Street on Alfred Street where Mum would go Sunday afternoon to get us chocolate as a treat.

One I do recall because it was an odd name, Tuckwards on the corner of Swanwick Street/Turner Street, Mum did most of her daily shopping there.

As an after thought it may have been spelled Tuckwoods..

Fernilee, did you live in or around Turner Street??? I recall Janice, but can't picture her after all those years.

There were two girls lived opposite our house, I'll bet you probably went to school with one of those too, Jillian the eldest, who would be around 67 now, and her Sister Veronica, can't recall the last names now.

I lived at 101 Alfred Street South- opposite Perrins Chemist

Agers greengrocers & a couple of doors away from the Post Office

I am not familiar with the girls you mention- could have gone to

To Pierrepont School the same as myself-

Janice Tuckwood 's parents ran the corner shop- I used to call for

her on the way to school

If you remember the dry cleaners shop when it moved from the bottom of BBH to opposite Agers green grocers shop, my late Mum managed the new shop for a while, she had to live on the premises, I was around 13 then, had a crush on Jennifer Ager..Ironic, a few years later I worked with her Dad during the last few months of my apprenticeship at Cotgrave Colliery.

I know Jennifer Ager I remember being envious of her lovely clothes

that my mum could not afford.

Also, I have been in touch with her through Friends United

The greengrocers was almost opposite to wear I lived

• 4 years later...

Well, I have been looking for a picture of Dad at his school & saw that he posted on this site. The power of Google eh!

I am Stan's son. Unfortunately he passed away last month. I have never seen a photo of him under the age of 20. He was born in Arkwright street in 1940 in terrible poor conditions & caught t.b, which also finished his mother off when he was 5. He told me some tales of his childhood in Nottingham.  His aunt Lilly lived with a fella called Pop, and he was the custodian of the Palais. My Dad swore blind that in the basement under the dancefloor they used to keep a chimpanzee, if that's true I can only feel sorry for the poor creature. He was a lifelong Forest supporter as am I, even though we moved to Hampshire in the 60's when I was a baby. I have, and still continue to see the reds regularly while I visit what's left of my family. His sister Sheila lived in Alexandra street in Stabbo until her death about 10 years ago.

Cheers

• Like 3

Nice of you to post that information a.j, although it's sad to hear that your dad (who started the thread) is no longer around.

It's one of the surprises that Nottstalgia can come up with.....old references and posts from several years ago which suddenly reappear.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

trogg  if you go on to stannspredemolition site you can see lots of photos. You can also take a walk along St Anns Well Road. There is lots of good infomation on this site. Yes It might not have been fit for human habitation but it was a community like no other.

Just like Hucnknall Was before "Robin Hood Line" /Tesco'/and  Tram

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 7/24/2014 at 10:59 PM, stanr said:

I remember the off-licence on the corner of Ford St & Turner St. Used to get our dandelion and burdock there. also there was a fish and chip shop in Plantagenet St where had chips & mushy peas in our own basin everyday ! Oh what happy times !!

How many mischievous kids popped their heads around the chipshop door just before closing to say 

Gorr any chips left mister ?

Yeah loads !

That's your fault for cooking too many !

• Cliff Ton changed the title to St Ann's area 1950's