Chinese Chippy circa 1990........True story witnessed by my ten year old daughter...one school lunch time...

Cheeky school kid...............gorr any fish bits Mrs ?......(said pulling his eyes into a squint)

Chinese Lady reply's...........(pushing her eyes 'Wide Open'').........NO F... Off

• Upvote 1

There use to be a chinese takeaway in bulwell market 1970,s somewhere near the jockey pub , i went in  after chucking out time from the pubs three sheets to the wind ,  the chinese guy said "what you wan " i said  i have you got rabbit ?  " No labbit" 

Okay give me a No18, a couple of them 23s, and to finish off a 99, 

He wrapped it all up and said £10.25 ,

I said HOW MUCH ??  Sod it I've only got 50 pence , give us a vegetable spling loll then !!!!!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to St Ann's area 1950's

Them chinese takeaway merchants always used to get abit of flak from the drunks turning out the pubs didn't they ? 

But once one server who resemble fu manchu got his own back 

I asked if he got  pork dumplings , and he replied  "no, it's just the way i walk "

• 1 year later...

David Kynaston's book Family Britain 1951-57 lists some of the shops in Alfred Street South and adjoining streets in the 1950s: Farnsworth's Pork Butchers, Barnes Dales dairy (for Colwick cheese), Barber Len, Coupe's Furnishing, Plunkett's Gents Outfitters,Atkin's Wine shop, Winfield's the Butcher, Brown's the coal merchant , Carnill's Pork Butcher, Briley's Ladies' and Children's Wear, Westminster Bank, Cromwell pub, Co-op Butchery and Greengrocer, Morley's Cake shop, Dean's Ladies Fashions, Cavendish Cinema, Mr Ash the Fishmonger, Meakin's the cobbler, Marsdens, Mr Chettle dentist, Ridgards for cookers, Mr Clarke the Chemist, Hopewell Furnishers, Wayne's poodle parlour and pet shop.   

With such a variety of shops there must have been little need to go into town.

• Like 1

St Ann's had a full variety of shops. From the top of St Ann's Well Road to the bottom where the road traffic island was there was every shop you wanted, also 2 cinema's  Empress and Cavandish. 2  dance halls The Palais and Victoria  a good undercover market. A bus station. A city bus that went to Wilford bridge through Nottingham centre. The bus ran every 3 mins. More or less a pub on every street corner. Two  beautiful Churches  St Ann's & St Catharine's as well as a Methodist church.  Famous people  Hopewells furniture, their first shop was on St Ann's Well Rd but they did live on Robin Hood Chase. William Booth had his meeting hall/church bottom of St Ann's Well Rd.                                                       But the house where not fit for human inhibition so Nottm council said so they called them slums and pulled them down.

• Like 1

It would be to get a time machine and go back to see Nottm in 50s. I went to see my great grandad and grandma in the mid 50s they lived  9 Sutton St.behind Notts County football ground i think they pulled all those old houses down no sign of the steet now does anyone know what this part of Nottm. was this called ths thankyou.

Not only shops Mary47, but St. Anns also had bloody good allotments. 40/47 trolley buses was my first solo outing as a conductor back in 1962.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Beekay said:

Not only shops Mary47, but St. Anns also had bloody good allotments. 40/47 trolley buses was my first solo outing as a conductor back in 1962.

Your right Beekay  my dad would enter the rose shows. he used to be so proud of his roses, also lots of chrysanthemum's shows which he would enter. Our allotment was very large.  we had a summer house with a loo (round the back) a pear tree, a plum, tree 4 apple trees, rhubarb patch gooseberry (gose-gog ) patch plus 2  large  veg plots. A 12ft and 6ft green house a large tool shed. I used to spend most of my time up there, my dad loved his garden. until one day he went to look our his chrysanthemum's  were going on and all the flower had been chopped off. I felt it for him my day really worked hard on his garden but by this time age was taking over so he called a day and sold his garden.

6 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

It would be to get a time machine and go back to see Nottm in 50s. I went to see my great grandad and grandma in the mid 50s they lived  9 Sutton St.behind Notts County football ground i think they pulled all those old houses down no sign of the steet now does anyone know what this part of Nottm. was this called ths thankyou.

Ian, denshaw, was right i have found ref to Sutton st it's site is Footymad fourms and it says Ashling and Sutton st behind Notts County main stand, but you can not go into site unless you join, hope this helps,

Thankyou every one those times are getting very vague now. My grandad and i would bike down to Sutton st. from Nuthall and leave our bikes there and walk down Meadow Lane to the County ground some fond memories as a ten year old.

15 hours ago, Newarker said:

David Kynaston's book Family Britain 1951-57 lists some of the shops in Alfred Street South and adjoining streets in the 1950s: Farnsworth's Pork Butchers, Barnes Dales dairy (for Colwick cheese), Barber Len, Coupe's Furnishing, Plunkett's Gents Outfitters,Atkin's Wine shop, Winfield's the Butcher, Brown's the coal merchant , Carnill's Pork Butcher, Briley's Ladies' and Children's Wear, Westminster Bank, Cromwell pub, Co-op Butchery and Greengrocer, Morley's Cake shop, Dean's Ladies Fashions, Cavendish Cinema, Mr Ash the Fishmonger, Meakin's the cobbler, Marsdens, Mr Chettle dentist, Ridgards for cookers, Mr Clarke the Chemist, Hopewell Furnishers, Wayne's poodle parlour and pet shop.   

With such a variety of shops there must have been little need to go into town.

I work on Alfred Street South at the moment and can assure you that it's got nothing like that now!

Not quite the right thread but it'll do, as your'e reading on here...."Happy Birthday Mary1947".

• Like 1

I got to know old ST Anns in 1960..........as a Railway Van Lad making deliveries to all the busines's that existed back then....

All the old streets and houses and friendly people........Donkey hill and Lamartine st for some reason always stick in my mind....

Can't remember which.......but it was a very steep hill up to the 'Posher'' Thorneywood........where we delivered to 'Jubilee pickles'

The following year i was working for Marsdens and got sent to a very busy 'Vernons store'' for a week just after its conversion to self-service.........busiest store at that time i ever worked....and one of those daft things that your memory does..even there only a week i recall the Managers name Mr Gamble........

And of course 'Hazel'...who i took to Locarno.which was also just in St Anns ...:rolleyes: lol

Hi Ben

Donkey Hill was the steepest hill,  real name St Bartholomew's Road.

23 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

I work on Alfred Street South at the moment and can assure you that it's got nothing like that now!

There was Alfred North that went from St Ann's Well road to Woodborough Rd then Alfred st Central which was called   Commericil square then Alfred St North which went from St Ann's Well  Rd to Carlton road.

I may be mistaken Mary, but I thought Carlton road was the opposite way. Did'nt Alfred st. North run up to Mansfield rd?

I seem to recall going down Alfred st. with a mate, when looking for a tattooist shop, which I think was somewhere on the right.

• Like 1

Alfred St North - Top of Huntingdon St to Woodborough Rd

Alfred St Central - Woodborough Rd to St Ann's Well Rd

Alfred St South - St Ann's Well Rd to Carlton Rd

Mostly redeveloped.

• Like 1

Sorry to all I have my Alfred St  upside down!!!!!!!

I did work on Alfred St SOUTH for a While at a Salon. The Blue Bell pub which is on (wait for it BK) Corner Robin Hood St and Alfred St South  the landlord and landlady were my hubby's Aunt & Uncle  this is the pub that changed my life, as this is were I met the master, and its been down hill ever since, no just kidding. Before that my eldest brother used to go out with Judy one of the daughters of the pub. The Blue Bell was used a lot by the barrow boys from off the market. 

Hi Meiissa

The Blue Bell is no longer there. In 1972 it was demolished, due to the demolition of St Ann's, I am not sure what is there now.