Very best wishes and congratulations Melissa. Remember the day when my wife and I went up to Preston for our daughter's graduation. Lovely day.

The trouble with being a named driver is that it doesn't give you personally any insurance "credit". The best way is, as others have said, to buy a car that is cheap to insure, insure it in your own name - after shopping around carefully - and drive even more carefully (as I'm sure you do) !!! It will cost the earth, but you will at least be building up your own no claims bonus entitlement.

• Upvote 2

Well done Mellisa, reminds me of my daughters graduation ceremony's when they did their degrees.

Wonderful thing for parents to see their kids succeed in life and education. One of my firm beliefs is you can never get too much education in today's world.

You are very fortunate.

• Upvote 1

Well done Melissa, now focus on what you want and stick to your guns in achieving that goal.

As regards your car Insurance, I second the advice from Catfan and Stephen, DON'T try to arrange it in your Dad's name, it MUST be Insured by the owner and the premium related to the main driver otherwise in the event of a claim you could have big problems.

If there are any Insurance Brokers left in Nottingham, do ask for their advice and quotes, doing it yourself on line ain't always the best answer!

• Upvote 1

Well done Melissa. This is just the start of it all. Keep pushing and doing well. Success tastes so sweet when its all down to your own hard work.

• Upvote 1

Well done Melissa you must feel great

Getting rid of your 'L' plate
You showed everyone you did learn

How to do a three point turn

Emergency stop and hill start

Proving you are 'wheelie' smart!

So congratulations I'm very impressed

That you have passed your driving test

Melissa #15.When a parent buys a car for a son or daughter & insures for themselves naming their child as a named driver when in effect the car is the son or daughters car, is called "Fronting".

Insurance companies & the Police take a very dim view of this. In the event of a claim the Ins Co will not pay out.

You are correct Catfan.

However, if Melissa insures the car with one or two named additional older/experienced drivers this can reduce the insurance premium. If the car is going to be a low annual mileage there are some policies available where the insurer fits a 'black box' which measures driving habits (speeds, time of day used etc) and these may be attractive to some younger drivers.

Insofar as choosing a car, the Ford KA is not a bad car - but there are bad KA's, same applies for all cars really. Insurers prefer new drivers to buy sedate 1,000cc cars (Fiesta, Corsa, Polo etc). My advice is to look around, do not buy the first car you see, avoid cars that have been tarted up/souped up. A key to motoring on a budget is also to find a local garage that can be trusted and look after you - they do exist - you will have to ask around. No good buying a cheapo car that is expensive to repair etc.

Talking of cheap cars - remember - all cheap cars are cheap for a reason. Take care with your choices and I hope you find a little gem.

Oh, and congratulations of your graduation Melissa, luckily I can say I know how proud your mum and dad are.

• Upvote 1