Old black music is brilliant. I love all the Motown music but other black singers? The Ink Spots, Harry Belafonte, Odette, Lead Belly, Paul Robins. The list is endless.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

And the greatest of them all.... Ray Charles. I had the honour to see him live twice. Once in Nottm, and once in Liiverpool.

Oooohhh!

Genius is an understatement.

Col

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Interesting.  A very good song, but neither typical Motown, nor an especial favourite of mine.  I suspect it gets the vote by having 'crossed over' into a wider 'listenership' than more typical Motown.

It's become something of a 'rock' standard.and is essentially a rock song which gets performed by many who wouldn't go near more 'typical' Motown.  Often taking inspiration from versions bt Jeff Beck, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

all time favourite Motown track is Stevie Wonder's Superstition.

Never liked it,, didn't like Stevie Wonder. His music is way to fussy and overly complex for my taste.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Not Motown, but none can compare to Otis Redding IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Never really liked Stevie Wonder. Can’t beat Smokey Robinson, The Tempations, Four Tops, the list goes on. Jimmy Ruffin What Becomes Of The Broken-hearted one of my favourites. Was Percy Sledge Motown? When A Man Loves A Woman amazing. It all stands up to the test of time, so glad I was around when we had this amazing music.

• Like 1

Saw him at the Dungeon too, but was never keen. Too poppy, and not soulful enough !

• Like 1

If you like Motown, do a search for the video documentary "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" About the Funkbrothers, the backing group of session musicians who are on about every Motown record ever produced, it's brilliant!!

I downloaded a copy several years back. It used to be on Youtube, but only parts of it remain as it's copyright material.

• Like 2

I also saw Stevie Wonder at the Dungeon, 10 /- if I remember right which was about 4 times the normal price

Here in Memphis we not only have Elvis, Graceland, Sun Studios, Ben E King etc, we also have the Stax Studio, now Museum, with Otis Redding, Booker T and the MG’s, Sam and Dave, Carla and Rufus Thomas etc etc. just need a little Motown and it would be paradise.

About 5 years ago I was working with demo contractors out of Michigan and the project manager’s name was Ruffin. His uncles were Jimmy and David - he was good guy as well.

• Upvote 2

Martyn, do you recall Wilson Pickett doing Hey Jude ? I think that was at Fame Studios, with the awesome guitar work of the late great Duane Allman. Brilliant, and on utube, but not live I'm afraid.

• Like 1

A few years ago from somewhere (can't remember where) got the individual isolated tracks of Superstition .

So using a program like Audacity you can mix your own version, say just drum and vocal if you like .

The keyboard (clavinet) part is made up of multiple overlays .

This guy obviously had the same individual tracks  and explains how it was done .

• Upvote 1

Being a rock fan, I prefer Jeff Beck's version. A great song though.

Here's a thread I started over on Pink Fish Media a few weeks back.  Asking for people's 'Top 5 Motown Songs' ..

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/your-5-favourite-best-motown-songs.229219/

I was kind of joking because I couldn't even decide my own top 5 Motown songs and they would be different every day.. but it brought out some interesting discussion.

There's some very informative history of Motown there.. especially from my good friend Dean... (posting as 'SCIDB')  a science teacher from Sheffield, well known in 'hi fi' circles and the single person who knows more about Soul/R&B etc., than anyone else I know.