2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Being a rock fan, I prefer Jeff Beck's version. A great song though.

There's a chap called Paul Kappa who plays the Cavern Pub opposite the Cavern proper every weekend. He and his band 'Kappa' do Superstition very well.  I first saw them in a couple of pubs in St Helens 15 years or more ago.. Excellent band and worth catching if you're in the area.

I'll look out for them if ever I'm in the area for a weekend. Can't beat a pub with a group !

• Like 1

There’s nothing worse than music in pubs unless it’s been pre arranged and you’re going to listen specifically. I used to meet up with friends for a chat at the Coach House in Southwell on a Monday night until a new landlady organised singers. It was mainly old blokes who went in on a Monday for a general moan but the singing rapidly cleared the place. We now meet elsewhere and although there is a bit of light background music (you can never avoid that!) at least we can hold a conversation.

Used to work behind the bar in the Highbury Vale pub (old one) early 60s 4/- per hour,,,and the landlord installed a ''Juke Box'''and very low lighting in a tiny room called the Blood-room...got its name from my Grandads days of being a regular,,,it was where after settling an argument on the waste ground opposite the 'Combatants'' retired to to get cleaned up and ''Shake Hands'',,anyway i digress,,

The reason the landlord installed the '''Juke box'' was to stop the old fellows spending all night playing Dominoes and only drinking a couple of 'Halves''..........his idea failed ,despite the Juke box'' being very loud,,,and lighting very low,,,the old chaps were mostly Deaf and the lighting greatly enhanced the ''Spots'' on the Dominoes............lol

• Upvote 1

Ben,

When we came back here in 88-89 we bought a bar that was always busy , or so it seemed. It was busy maybe the busiest in the village. The problems was the oldies ( men) would go in the morning and have their coffee and then meet their mates for a game of cards. The bar had 2 rooms one was large with card tables and chairs the other was a smaller room where you could sit for a while and enjoy your coffee or ice cream in peace .

My husband got fed up with the oldies sitting down all day playing cards and only consuming one drink, getting up one by one ( toilet visit) and nipping out of the back door.

He soon stopped it by installing games and slot machines and a snooker table. It encouraged the younger generation and the oldies rather to their discontent were confined to the smaller room. Smoking was still allowed then so you can imagine , you could cut the air with a knife. The bar  ( no longer ours) now has a Dehor  where the locals sit all day smoking and drinking. The locals now being, Marocchini, Macedoni, Rumeni etc. A truly international bar ....the Chinese run it.

You have a business but you can never guarantee what clientele you get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

How did that get from Motown to customers outstaying their welcome. Sorry if it got in the wrong topic but Ben just brought to mind something from the past

• Like 1
3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

How did that get from Motown to customers outstaying their welcome.

It's not the first time, Nonna :happy:       If threads didn't have a tendency to drift off topic, they'd all come to a sudden stop fairly quickly.

And we wouldn't hear a lot of ben's stories.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's on utube Martyn. Stupendous !

Lizzie, I don't know if you listened to the entire Top 100 Motown songs, but I can imagine some of the less popular ones being dire, but also some very interesting ones.

I like Rock and Blues, but for every Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, AC / DC, Whitesnake, G & R etc, there's some appallingly awful bands like Kiss and Motley Crue etc.

Likewise in the early 60's, there were many good bands from Liverpool / Manchester, such as The Beatles, Searchers, Hollies, Big 3, but then there's the other side of the coin with joke 'bands' such as Hermans Hermits, Gerry & The Pacemakers and Freddie & the Dreamers, who musically were nowhere. 

I could never take to pop bands such as The Tremoloes,  Dave Clark 5, etc. Give me The Zombies and Spencer Davis any day.