The Commonwealth Games, I'm referring to.

Now I fully understand that there will be avid sports enthusiasts who are loving every minute of them but I do feel that the BBC have gone a little over the top with their coverage.

All next week, BBC1 starts with the games at 9am and continues through till midnight, stopping only for the news. Even the news bulletins contain reports about the games!

That's fifteen hours per day on one, then BBC3 which usually doesn't start until 7pm is being started at 9am with thirteen hours coverage each day.

Much of the usual BBC1 stuff has been shunted over to BBC2 and if there's any gaps, they're filled with.......the games!

This is an absolute gift for the BBC, no production costs, just send the outside broadcast units, switch them on and sit back. They'll probably have a cheap week and end up with plenty of money in the kitty to chuck away on largesse like they normally do.

Is there anyone on here who will be glued to the box from morning till night, not missing a single second of it?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that's just the Women.

Becky and her sister Ellie are my great nieces, the grandaughters of my brother Alan, now sadly passed away but no doubt proud wherever he is!

Come off it Firbeck, despite the re work, Lulu's gorgeous. She is 65 for heavens sake. She's a nice person too. You are a misery guts at times. You've lived down South too long, LOL

I watched the opening ceremony until Billy Connolly came on (yawn) that did it. Off to bed and haven't watched a thing since.

Too full of himself. In fact, I think he's a downright tw4t.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant david, espcially the comment 'England lost these countries and still loses to them'

Won't play on my iPad, but it looks irritating, so I'll give it a go on the lap top later.

I've watched some of the events but will be watching a lot more when the athletics starts. We've been to 2 Commonwealth Games, the Edinburgh one in 1986 and Victoria in 1994, and loved being there for the atmosphere, these ARE called the Friendly Games and rightly so.

In 1986 we headed up to Edinburgh with no tickets and no accommodation, plus two little boys aged 6 and 9. We found a decent hotel just outside the city and on the first morning went to the stadium, almost knocking Steve Cram over as he crossed the road without looking right and left. Went into the Ticket Returns office to find nothing available but as we came out of there a lady told us she was just returning 2 tickets for 2 days because her friends couldn't make it. We bought them off her and bluffed our way through the turnstiles with our two kids, with the guy on the gate winking and saying that if the boys could sit on our knees that was OK. We took our (very good) seats and the lady who'd sold us the tickets arrived with her husband to sit alongside us. Her husband was David Hemery! They were such nice people and he was great to chat to between events.

In 1994 we flew to Canada knowing we had accommodation and tickets. We stayed with family in Victoria and saw loads of events. Our kids went off with their cousins to various music events in the city in the evenings which was good for them and us. We had a fabulous time and the athletes were not hidden away, they wandered around, with medals round their necks, which our athletics-mad kids loved.

Another little story ....... At the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Games there was an 18 year old playing in the Bahamas Rugby 7s team. Predictably the Bahamas did get knocked out by New Zealand, but what is so interesting is that only 4 months earlier that 18 year old was playing in the same school U18 team as our son and there he was taking to the field against Jonah Lomu and his mates!!

• Upvote 2

Watched the Marathon this morning I thought the Aussie Michael Shelley showed a rarely gutsy performance to win against the usual dominance of the Kenya's

Oh dear, I was hoping that once the swimming was out the way the 'Worlds Most Sporting Nation' wouldn't win any more medals, they never forgave the UK for coming above them in the last Olympics.

Why are our relatives better than us at sport ,it's called climate.and way of life,they have a life we dont,they knock off work early to persue sport and leisure.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they knock off work any earlier. They have just had the benefits of a healthier lifestyle, better nutrition, fewer pollutants in the air and water, etc. Also better equipment and techniques. Many of them also have larger populations to draw from. Take a look at any country based games - the Winter Olympics are one of the best, then divide the countries population by it's medal count - the results become VERY interesting!

• Upvote 1

#15 I have always ate my fry ups,me chips ,chocolate ,and cakes how much nutrition do us brits need,and I always stand in front of the mirror in my y fronts working out only stopping for a couple of park drive fags,even then when I disrobe on skeggy beach I never seem resemble any athlete,none the less I am willing to train you aussies free of charge.o

• Upvote 3

Spot on as usual Andy. LOL

Yea but ,I can't believe it ,I have just witnessed a Aussie that can drive basfordred,what's the world coming to .mind you every time I try and put in Aussie on my kindle it deletes and puts in sissies ,honestly.

Be nice!

Can't really get into games,and kind of annoys me that these countries are sort of slowly moving away from us,all of these countries have so much varied history and collectively we have been strong,and reality is these people are buried together across the world and jokes apart I love them and respect them ,and who knows would we be here without them.these are proven reliable allies ,and I hope we stay United.

• Upvote 1

With all our links to Commonwealth countries what a perfect base for trade,instead of the EU !.....?

• Upvote 1

Most of the larger commonwealth countries have forged trading links with their neighbours - Canada in NAFTA, Aus and NZ in APEA, and so on.

I suppose we could strengthen links with India and Pakistan further, though. We send them work, they send us doctors, nurses, call centre staff....

• Upvote 1