• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that's just the Women.

Becky and her sister Ellie are my great nieces, the grandaughters of my brother Alan, now sadly passed away but no doubt proud wherever he is!

Come off it Firbeck, despite the re work, Lulu's gorgeous. She is 65 for heavens sake. She's a nice person too. You are a misery guts at times. You've lived down South too long, LOL

What I want to know is how does Gary Lineker gets involved with the Commonwealth Games !! The man has just spent a month in Brazil has he got no home life 😃

• Upvote 1

He's certainly well in with the Beeb isn't he ......... I must admit that one or two of the commentators are getting on my nerves. Denise Lewis has always annoyed me, she just waffles on and likes the sound of her own voice. I've not watched as much this year, I don't think we have many 'exciting-to-watch' athletes at the moment.

• Upvote 2

Clare, balding why on earth is she so well in ,the daughter of a race horse trainer ,how does that qualify her to commontate on anything yet she is very high up in the BBC ,

Mm

• Upvote 1

Let's be friends ! Nuff said !

• Upvote 1

There's a guy commentating on boxing and a few other sports who I first heard at the Olympics and he's winding me up. He's overly wordy as if he's trying to prove he's educated.

'And Jones has launched an unprecedented onslaught onto his opponent, who has tried valiantly to change the inevitable outcome. Jones lost the first round in unanimous fashion but is now reversing the position hoping to attain an equilibrium'.

I kid you not. Boxing commentary!

• Upvote 1

I do actually like major sporting events, The Commonwealth Games, Olympics, The Test Matches, more or less everything apart from Motor Racing and Tennis. I have to say, however, that the BBC have really gone over the top with their coverage of these Games, it's not just the blanket coverage, it's their intrusion into the news bulletins, I thought that Wimbledon was bad, but this is ridiculous. In the mornings, I get up early, feed the dogs, give our youth a lift to his bus, have a shower, make my butties, before setting off for work. In the meantime I like to keep my eye on BBC Breakfast News to see what is happening in the world. The programme is being presented from a studio by the Clyde in Glasgow, the weather is presented from somewhere in Glasgow, the sports are presented from the stadium, only our Steph and her business news seems to have escaped the mayhem, so far. The format on the hour is the same every day, 10 minutes of news, then 'The Games', then the weather forecast from 'The Games', then the sports reporter reports on 'The Games'. Then it's over to Norwich for our local news, 1 minute of that then two minutes of what we've just seen except featuring our East Anglian athletes at 'The Games'. Then back to the main studio now in Glasgow for 1 minute of news then it's the usual sports slot, extended to show what we've already seen twice, except we luckily got about 20 seconds of cricket this morning, then the weather from 'The Games', then we have a 'pleasant' interlude where we are treated to a gold medal winning athlete being interviewed in the studio which is an excuse to show the moment of triumph for the umpteenth time, then a quick 10 second news summary followed by a return to the Norwich studio where the whole process is repeated again. If you think I'm exagerating, watch it for yourselves, if you can bear it.

On a happier note, thanks to some excellent results from both English and Scottish swimmers, the Aussies didn't achieve their expected domination of the pool events, I note that we've now taken over the top of the medals table with the start of the athletics, even the legendary 'Thorpedo' admitted that Australia were not likely to do so well on the track, though with the Aussies, anything could happen, I have to admire them.

• Upvote 1

As long as we don't have Rod Stewart crooning his so called self penned hits ( to the tune of Loch Lomond) He should forfeit some of his royalties. He makes me vomit prattling on about Celtic etc. This is the club whose fans openly contribute to the IRAs coffers and refuse to ..... Sod them I can't take anymore.

I know you do Lizzie, but as I've said before on here, he's gone from a great rock and blues singer to a crooner Vegas style. I know he's still good, but he's barely made a decent album since he left the Faces, and all this false loyalty to Scotland is a bit stomach churning.

I often play "Rod Stewart, Reason to Believe. The Mercury Recordings" in the car. A three CD set . Brilliant stuff.

Anyway, did you enjoy his concert, I remember your concern over the late arrival of your tickets.

Had a brilliant night in Stoke-on-Trent ........ not many people would say that, what a dreadful town that is! The tickets arrived only 2 days before and we were middle of the front row, fabulous. They cost more than I've ever paid for a concert and were so worth it except for the fact that Ticketmaster added more than 100% for themselves. Now that was really annoying and we weren't aware of it until the tickets arrived and we saw the price printed on them.

We managed to get a hotel about 4 miles from the Britannia Stadium and it took an hour to finally grab a taxi back so my husband was mad that he missed the first half of England v Italy.

Anyway, Rod is a great performer but he was rubbish at the Opening Ceremony.

• Upvote 2

Yes, I'll admit to you that he's still a great performer, but my head Is firmly entrenched in the 60's, early 70's, that's how I remember him best.

When he along with Long John Baldry and Brian Auger and the gang came back to my mates house in Ilkeston for a party and everyone sat around playing guitars, singing and drinking brandy after a gig at the Dungeon. FAN. TAS . TIC..........Great days, stupendous nights.

• Upvote 2

I never put the two together. I didn't know it referred to Mrs T. I'll have to listen to the words again.

I believe Maggie ,once said to rod whilst he was clad in his kilt,you wear it well when your sailing,I think he quite liked her handbags and gladrags.there was talk they had a baby and named it Jane.

• Upvote 1

Re #41, yes DJB, that's the story I'd heard. I think Andy C is pulling my leg, he's such a joker you know. I know Rod was a bit of a beatnik in those far off days. I sure that's the true version.

I remember my dad wouldn't let me go to Art College because he thought they were all beatniks. He thought any lad whose hair touched their collar was a 'puff'. Sorry dad, you were SO wrong. My hair was down my back in the late 60's and I certainly was not a puff.

(The late 60's, not my late 60's) Although I've got a fair bit left.

Gymnastics has been on the telly for what seems like days and I was getting a bit fed up with it but I have to admit that the gymnasts routines are incredible, they are all fantastic and to be commended.

• Upvote 1

I seem to remember you and I agreeing about Rod 'McStewart' before, Basfordred. He was born in London, yes his father was Scottish, but 'Mc Stewart' never lived there, I wonder if he's ever been to the Western Isles and Highlands. 100 years since the start of WW1 and my grandfather fought in the trenches until 1918 with the Royal Scots, he was born in West Bridgeford, didn't turn him into a Highlander, or my old man, or me. My best mate was born at and lived on Trowell Road, his old man was more Scottish than Rabbie Burns, my mate spent most of his holidays in Aberdeen, does he think he was Scottish, no way, he still supports Forest and is as English as you, me and Rod bloody Stewart. Look up on Wikipedia 'List of Scottish Musicians', some well known, memorable names, I can't find Rod Stewart amongst them though.

Let's hope that at the closing ceremony tonight that 'McStewart' won't be invited to appear and they get some real Scottish performers on there, the Proclaimers music has cropped up a few times during the games, Usain Bolt seemed to appreciate it last night, I just wish:-

'When you go will you send back a letter to America

Take a look up the rail track from Miami to Canada

Lochaber no more, Sutherland no more

Lewis no more, Skye no more

Australia no more Rod Stewart no more.........................................'

I'm at work and haven't seen todays results, we ARE still leading the Aussies I hope.

• Upvote 1

Becky and her sister Ellie are my great nieces, the grandaughters of my brother Alan, now sadly passed away but no doubt proud wherever he is!

• Upvote 3

Games over, well done England, Wupped the Aussies.

Did manage to catch a bit of Kylie and Lulu. Beautiful !