Don't get me wrong i can 'swear' with the rest of em' but i think theres a time and place for it, i worked all over the country and obviuosly heard folk swearing everywhere,however not as much as Nottingham,which i reckon must be the swearing capital of England. Am i alone in this ?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the tender age of seven I was "invited" to join the gang on our street. The initiation ceremony was all pretty harmless stuff, standing on one leg, whistling through your fingers etc, until it cam

When I stubbed my toe and broke it, did I say 'Oh dearie me'? When I lost a huge darning needle and found it two days later with my foot necessitating a hospital stay and an op, did I say 'Oh Bother'

People who swear a lot might think they sound angry or 'hard', but it actually comes out comical and stupid. We've all been walking through the city centre when you've overheard this type of conversa

Noticed that myself when I've visited the old place,the youngsters learn it off their parents when running around the supermarkets, in saying that though,it's more noticable out here in Lincolnshire when every other word is a swear word

Rog

WORKED lincs alot Grimsby the place for swearing, where in lincs are you rog?

People who swear a lot might think they sound angry or 'hard', but it actually comes out comical and stupid.

We've all been walking through the city centre when you've overheard this type of conversation.

I was f***ing walking down the f***ing street and this f***ing car came down the f***ing road and the f***ing idiot who was f***ing driving it nearly f***ing ran me over, so I f***ing yelled at him to f***ing look where he was f***ing going, and he just f***ing ignored me and f***ing carried on and f***ing nearly hit another f***ing car coming the other f***ing way.

And his friend just looks at him and says "f***ing right mate".

• Upvote 5

You're not wrong Benjamin. Was only yesterday when walking with my friends 1 year old daughter in the pram that there was a man next to me effing and blinding it! Also dislike people who constantly swear to get their point across via social media I.e. Facebook!

• Upvote 1

Noooo, Essex is the swearing capital of the country, even the immigrant East Europeans have learnt a few very choice words. Like you Benjamin I can swear as well as the rest of em, but not very often and certainly not in public. My mother never even said 'bloody' and used to have a go at me for saying it, she would even now. In all the years I knew him, I only heard my father say the 'F' word once, so significant was that at the time, I still recall the occasion and it was over 50 years ago. He'd come back from work on his bike, soaked to the skin, cold and in a foul mood, not being able to find his slippers in the shoe cupboard under the sink, he threw the entire contents down the garden shouting 'F' as he did so, I went and hid in my room till he lit up his pipe and calmed down. Considering he spent 6 years in the Army from 1940 to 46, it was always surprising to me that he didn't swear more often. It just seems to be par for the course down here, it's not just youth's, it's everyone. Take my in laws for instance, lovely hard working, but now retired folk. Liz's dad came from Hungary in 1956 where he'd had a hard time with the Russian invasion, his use of swear words is totally matter of fact along with her mother who originally came from Romford. A few weeks ago I was repairing his bay window, while carefully burning off the paint, I cracked a pane of glass slightly and swore as a consequence, her dad looked at me in astonishment and said 'Pete, do you know that's the first time I've EVER heard you swear!' and I've known him for 20 years.

Without wishing to embarrass him, our Bilbraborn could come out with some choice language when he was 15, mind you we all did at the appropriate time. Remember Oakenclough Youth Hostel Mel! Our dormatary had a hatch in the floor looking down into the washrooms and I very carefully opened the hatch to find Bilbraborn cleaning his teeth directly below, at which point I poured a glass of water over him. The blistering response to this nearly took the paint off the walls, un-noticed by me I spotted an old boy in the washroom with a big grin on his face, he turned round to Bilbraborn and said 'Now THAT'S telling him, lad!'. It became our catch phrase for ages after that.

• Upvote 1

#7 SOMEHOW Firbeck the Essex way of swearing does'nt sound so vulgar' for instance, they pronounce the 'f' word with an A' and the 'C' word, and i almost find it funny.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin 1945, I'm between Newark and Lincoln, in the sticks as it were but I work at Tattershall Thorpe near Woodhall Spa

Rog

#7 SOMEHOW Firbeck the Essex way of swearing does'nt sound so vulgar' for instance, they pronounce the 'f' word with an A' and the 'C' word, and i almost find it funny.

Yep, I know what you mean, I never took on the accent meself, but it wouldn't do to laugh in front of some of these characters! On the way home from working at the bike centre, usually about 5:00pm, I have to cycle through the pedestrian only market square. At the bottom end is the Jobcentre, then Tesco's on the left, a fountain, then two really rough pubs with chairs and tables outside. Once they've got their benefits, the scumbags, usually the younger one's, call in at Tesco's, get some cheap booze, sit around the fountain all day and get slaughtered. By the time I'm coming back they're staggering all over the place swearing at the top of their voices, lovely. My next obstacle are the two rough pubs, it's always the same people outside, heavily tatooed musclemen, obese suntanned middle aged women wearing very little, lot's of Irish Pykies from the illegal sites around the town and some very dodgy looking characters who are there everyday. Just glance over at these people and you get sworn at, I feel really sorry for the old dears who have to go past after a shopping trip in the town and can't avoid the place as it's on the way to the bus station. Where are the police, stocking up with food in Sainsburies as the police station is just the other side of their car park, so they're safe.

• Upvote 1

*acking hell Firbeck'........LOL,...ive spent years in East and South London in fact had an office in Mitchum (surrey) and i tend to lump the Essex accent with those areas as well, i worked with some amazing 'Geezers' who swore all the time,and being the way i am had brilliant banter with em,and i did find em funny.

I appreciate what you say about some of the unsavoury types,we get them everywhere don't we.

• Upvote 1

The other day I was walking through Newark market place and noticed two people arguing a few yards in front of me

They were going at it hammer & tongs, so expected to hear some pretty colourful language as I passed them by.

"To my surprise" they were both from eastern Europe and the words meant nothing to me.....

Are foreign swear words offensive if you don't understand what they are saying?

I assume they were swearing anyway !!

Smiffy

Always seems like they are swearing don't it,sort of harsh sounding,

Interesting topic. An old bloke I knew was a guest of the Imperial Japanese Government in the war. I think he was involved with the Burmese Railway. He told me that at that time the Japs had no swear words of their own so they used English ones.

As for children. At most schools they swear like little troopers. I don't think they could learn much more from us adults.

Glasgow was the swearing capital of the world when I lived up there. The F word was common and many of them sounded like Mrs Brown.

But the worst place was the railway. I was brought up to never swear in front of women, but those female guards could use the F and C word in more combinations than any man I knew.

Oh Flipping Heck.

I think that everybody swears nowadays, with some swearing every other word and others occasionally. DVD's, music and the TV are all full of bad language and it's all copied by the kids. My wife and I don't normally use bad language but it doesn't bother us if someone else does. In my opinion, swearing by the next generation will be the norm.

Swearing has always existed, presumably since language was invented; the only difference now is that it is more widely heard and known.

A good example is old war films made in the 1940s and 50s. Nobody ever swears in those films, everybody speaks in polite Queen's english, grammatically correct with no lower-class accents….but does anybody believe that's how military personnel really spoke in WW2, with no swearing or dodgy language?!?

That's one of the origins of the idea that swearing is worse now than it was in the past. It existed on the streets and in public places back then, but speech was heavily censored in films, radio, and early television; so swearing never appeared in mainstream entertainment and media. It didn't seem to be as common as it is now.

I'll bet if we could go back to walk the streets of the early 20th century, the language wouldn't be as different as some people would have you believe.

When I worked at British Rail Engineering, there was a works manager at one of the factories who used the ripest of language, especially when he was berating his senior assistants (which was fairly frequently). BUT - he would drop on anyone who used even the mildest swear words in the presence of ladies. Actually, he had a double door installed between his office and his secretary's, so that she couldn't hear him!

I think swearing is part of life these days and the majority of people swear at some point albeit not to the extent of an increasing number and mainly in private with friends and family. I’m not saying it is right to do so, particularly the ‘f’ or similar words, in general public but these days these ‘swear words’ are included in dictionaries, on television after the watershed and in the media generally. Those using these words in public either don’t realise they’re saying them or, do it on purpose to aggravate others. They don’t realise they are showing a lack of the English language, manners and consideration for others. Unfortunately, I don’t think the situation will improve and will actually increase.

I grew up on a council estate in the 50s and if we heard bad language from anyone they were considered real common,certainly it was'nt used by my parents except in very rare heated arguments.Dad was a 'railwayman' and i am sure at work he could hold his own.

In his last few years he came to live with us and it was a very busy house with teenage children and at times i must admit some choice swearing took place.he had been with us about a fortnight when he Summoned me into the 'parlour' which was his room,and informed me that too much swearing went on in the house,i apologised and told him i'll have a word with everyone.

This i did and the teenagers curbed it for while,but a month or so later they had lapsed,and Dad gave up,and the 'funny thing was DAD JOINED IN,to much hilarity from all concerned, God bless him.

• Upvote 1

I did not hear swearing in the house from my parents when I was a kid or from the other parents, now I am old its a everyday language today, if you say something to them they swear at you.