I have recently been scouring the British Newspaper Archives and have found an entry concerning my mother in the Nottingham Evening Post. Dated Thursday 29 April 1948 and under the heading "Tinker Bell's Thanks" my mother, amongst quite a few others, was thanked for their donations of stamps and silver paper. Unfortunately mum died last month so I am unable to ask her about it.
Does anyone know who Tinker Bell was? And what the resulting donations were used for?
Regards Paul

I think I vaguely remember it, although I might not be old enough. It was a "club" run by the Evening Post to get youngsters involved in the community by doing good deeds, such as helping old people, collecting unwanted items to donate to charity, or just being generally useful to those less fortunate than themselves.

There obviously wasn't really anyone called Tinkerbell; a different journalist - whoever drew the short straw - would have written the column every day.

If you haven't already done it, Google "Tinkerbell Nottingham Evening Post" and you will get several pages of results which explain it all.

When I was little I was in The Tinkerbell Club and used to get actual letter from Tinkerbell the fairy.

I used to collect silver paper from cigarette packets and anywhere else I found it, then someone

posted it to Tinkerbell for me.

I still believe in fairies :-)

Thanks for the information Cliff Ton and Anne of Aspley, I had already googled it but all I got was links to other newspaper pages on Genes Reunited and Find My Past. It would seem the club lasted a long time because the entries in the British Newspaper Archives run from the 1920s to the end of the 1940s.

Regards Paul

Yes..The Tinkerbell Club was around for many years. It was one of the highlights of my young life :-)

I never did understand what it was really all about I must admit..so thanks for bringing up the topic and reminding me of

times gone by. It was a clever idea don't you think :biggrin:

I remember collecting cardboard milk bottle tops, then wrapping them with anything pretty I could find, leaving the middle open.

When I had a big enough pile, I would make a bag with them, adding the handles out of anything I could find.

It kept us kids busy and the bags looked lovely :biggrin:

Didn't they stink in hot weather ?