This venue, formerly of Nuthall Road, gets mentioned here and there but I think merits it's own topic. My first recollection was of going to ballroom dancing classes there, must have been late 1950's. It was a great show venue and some fabulous acts appeared there. But it was also a hot spot for parties and celebrations. I came across the bill for my/our wedding reception in November 1969. 56 guests at 20 shillings each (A pound for a sit down meal!!!) plus 3 at 14 shillings (must have been kids). Sherry for the toast...9 shillings. The deposit was £5. The whole event for a little over £62. And it was just perfect.

• Upvote 4

For years we had our firms Christmas dinner and dance there. I believe it was owned by the Stevenson family and I went to school with Phillip Stevenson.

• Upvote 1

Vintageann, # 1

I've just searched out the invoice for our wedding reception at the Commodore Banqueting Rooms, held in May 1975. Charges per person rose more than 100% in that 6 years since your event, AND we'd gone decimal and were charged 8% VAT extra.

76 guests @ £2.30

1 child @ £1.52

Sherry Reception (6.5 bottles @ £1.85 each)

Asti Toast (13 bottles at £2.50 each)

Room Charge @ £6.00

Total including VAT £238.50

It doesn't seem much but at that time I was on a decent wage of £36 per week. :)

• Upvote 5

And my friend has just paid £1,900 for her venue alone for a measly 6 hours! If only the Commodore was still around today!

It is Melissa as a Sainsbury's Local 😢

• Upvote 1

Asti Spumante, That's posh enough for me Lizzie. You reminded me of a little story. I think this would be alright in (The Embarrassing Moments Thread), but it went on for a few years before anyone put me right.

When we kept our Beer Off in the 1970s, one of our good sellers was Asti Spumante. I would recommend it to customers as a very nice reasonably priced, Sparkling Wine, and tried to sound as if I knew what i was talking about.

It must have been about 5yrs before some one laughed one day at my pronunciation. All of those years, I had been calling it Asti Sputamen. The right letters, in the wrong order! No wonder I got some funny looks!

• Upvote 4

The Smith bros.who ran Radford Ametuer Boxing club' used to put alot of shows on there,a nice venue.

As a youngster I used to go there as part of a show that my ballet school put on in aid of The children's charity Variety.

I can one-up you on the reception front Lizzie. When they had the Tudor Bar at the side of the Commodore, my brother-in-law to be and I used to win and come 2nd in the quiz every week. First prize was a 3 course meal for 2 and 2nd was a bottle of wine to take away or have with a meal. We saved up all the vouchers and eventually i booked the whole Tudor Bar for my reception. 60 guests for a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine between each two. Cost - zero. It made sense to me but I don't think my wife ever quite forgave me for being so cheap.

• Upvote 4

Imagine already paid 1/- then your date would want an Ice Cream, damn Gold diggers !

I'll never forget attending a friend's wedding reception at The Commodore.

She was marrying a Nottingham-born Pole and her father (very unwisely as it turned out) decided to provide a free bar. His credit card took a hell of a hammering as their side of the reception proceeded to drink the place dry. He's probably still paying the tab off to this day.

And my friend has just paid £1,900 for her venue alone for a measly 6 hours! If only the Commodore was still around today!

Wow! Talk about inflation. My first house only cost me 1000 pounds more than that.

• Upvote 1

Went to see the late Bernard Manning there sometime in the nineties, The venue was termed a "Gentlemans evening!" leave you to guess what else was on as well as Bernard. Remembering some of the things being called out there were not many gentlemen there I can tell you.

Went to see the late Bernard Manning there sometime in the nineties, The venue was termed a "Gentlemans evening!" leave you to guess what else was on as well as Bernard. Remembering some of the things being called out there were not many gentlemen there I can tell you.

Some years ago there was a T.V. programme, made by himself,about his death and there were scenes showing him after death. Clever stuff but the most self indulgent load of guff I've ever seen./quote]