Certainly was owned by the Stevensons - I used to work with Kathryn S who was married to one of 'em. Where are you Kathryn??

We had a staff do at the Commodore in the 90's I think. Coach up the motorway, LOTS of free or cheap drink. I won a bottle of whisky in the raffle & we finished it on the way home. One of our lot fell over a rock in his front garden and did himself quite a mischief.

Saw Freddie Star there & had Chicken in a basket.

Biggest memory though was there was a chip shop just a bit away on the Rd opposite, I came out of there gave the Etype some wellie & the throttle stuck didn't make the traffic light witch was on red before managing to turn off the ignition.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I wonder what the General's sons are doing now.

Of all coincidences I ran into Alan Stevenson today. Apparently he spends half his time near Estepona and the other half at the hotel he still owns next to the Commodore (as was). His brothers still live locally, one in Clifton and the other on Aspley Lane. The General is now 93, still lives in Nuthall and drops into the hotel every day for coffee. The family have leased the p7b at Castle Donington out and are probably selling it next year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 31/07/2014 at 8:25 AM, DJBrenton said:

I wonder what the General's sons are doing now.

They are doing a lot of flying and they are getting on a bit now!! 

Just for for the record Alan is not a Stevenson he’s Alan askey so not the generals son! His sons are John,Graham and Phillip! I’m John daughter the generals granddaughter! 

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the Commodore - went to various functions there, one of which was a ‘Gentleman’s evening’ where one of the acts was a lady ventriloquist- a very large lady with a most foul/mouthed dummy. A few weeks later she was on ‘New Faces’ and she was the most cleanest innocent  person you could imagine but she wasn’t as funny as she was at the Commodore

On 31/07/2014 at 7:20 AM, catfan said:

I took the Ex there to see The Grumbleweeds & Rolf Harris, NOT at the same time !

Would that have been about 85 ish catfan ?.............took Donna probably same night.........she was wearing a little black number and looked stunning.......sat on a bar stool top of the stairs............went for a pee and when i came back the 'Grumbleweeds' were all over her.........soon sorted em out,........never been a jealous sort ,but they pushed their luck,gave em some Bulwell/Bestwood phrases..lol,.....and they retreated.........mind you did enjoy their act............lol.

• Like 1

My friends and I used to call it The Commode, as after several works outings there, we thought it was a 5hit hole !

Never had any problems with the Commodore most of our hairdressing comps were held there  eg  Wella Gold Award. L'oreal trophy, Goldwell Rose Bowl and many more  some of the comps were  also at The Sherwood Rooms. Never had any problems with either  venues.