I was sorting my book collection today,and found a little book i bought about 10 yrs ago called 'Crap towns'. Nottingham is listed as 8th worst place to live in the UK.

Its all a bit Tongue in cheek' but interesting non the least, it mentions St.Anns and Alfreton rd and incidents of 'Gun crime .However it says nowt about the people of our city,who i reckon are generally very friendly unlike alot of places ive worked/vistited/lived.

Places like Corby,Kettering,Northampton,Milton Keynes and for me the very worst Luton.I know its the 'luck of the draw' who you happen across when in different places,so perhaps again with a bit of 'tongue in cheek' whats been your worst place to visit/work or live ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crap towns? Nottingham is an exciting city. I love the place and its only by moving away that you realise what a pleasant place it is. Its not in the same league as some of the places I have to vis

Benjamin , been many times to Milton Keynes . Its almost exactly half-way between where my two sons live , one in Northants , one in Herts. Because of the massive choice of shops , it's a regular vi

Only been to Derby a couple of times & don't think much of it. I don't like Leicester much either. And Birmingham................if the world had piles that's where they would be.

I've never found anywhere any different to anywhere else tbh. If I had to spend a few days in a strange town I'd either play darts or pool in a pub and by the end of the night I'd have made some friends. I've even been out on Sauchiehall St in an England shirt and made friends.

Well I have to say Staveley doesn't have a lot going for it. What was probably a thriving mining town has dwindled away with the demise of the colliery.The Country Park, which was built on the site of the Ireland Colliery at Poolsbrook, where we are is lovely but the town has so little to offer that we even struggle to recommend a local pub to our campers.

I always did the same as you DJB and ive been on Sauchiehall st, but the places i mentioned it was hard work,and yes i'd join in and end up making friends.

Well I have to say Staveley doesn't have a lot going for it. What was probably a thriving mining town has dwindled away with the demise of the colliery.The Country Park, which was built on the site of the Ireland Colliery at Poolsbrook, where we are is lovely but the town has so little to offer that we even struggle to recommend a local pub to our campers.

You've got a pretty good and brand new fitness centre, a table tennis centre, miners welfare, weekly market, the Pod, Harleys, Beechers Brook and the football club. There are plenty of places with less than Staveley tbh.

Places like Corby,Kettering,Northampton,Milton Keynes and for me the very worst Luton.I know its the 'luck of the draw' who you happen across when in different places.

Thats funny Benjamin , you've just dissed our mid summer break ! !

Staying near Kettering for a few days , (cat-sitting !) . Visited Corby town-centre yesterday (not quite as bad as I was told ) . Only hassled by a druggy once !

Today went to Northampton town-centre . Felt a bit intimidating at first (us being country bumpkins for the last 30 years ). Amazed by the number of Eastern European accents there....but to be fair they were dressed smarter than the locals !

Tomorrow to complete your crap town itinerary we ought to visit Milton Keynes but has to be Grantham instead (visiting relos)

Thats funny Benjamin , you've just dissed our mid summer break ! !

Staying near Kettering for a few days , (cat-sitting !) . Visited Corby town-centre yesterday (not quite as bad as I was told ) . Only hassled by a druggy once !

Today went to Northampton town-centre . Felt a bit intimidating at first (us being country bumpkins for the last 30 years ). Amazed by the number of Eastern European accents there....but to be fair they were dressed smarter than the locals !

Tomorrow to complete your crap town itinerary we ought to visit Milton Keynes but has to be Grantham instead (visiting relos)

Sorry David,but please don't go to Milton Keynes awful place,oh i forgot Granthams not much better,LOL.

Yes, Grantham has become very depressing over the last few years. Especially the Main Street through the middle of town.

You've got a pretty good and brand new fitness centre, a table tennis centre, miners welfare, weekly market, the Pod, Harleys, Beechers Brook and the football club. There are plenty of places with less than Staveley tbh.

Have you been to the weekly market recently?

Harleys is fine if you want cheap and cheerful carvery, but many of our campers want somewhere quieter, even our local PCSO who calls in on a regular basis says he wouldn't recommend anywhere in Staveley.

Just out of interest there were several gunshots this morning at 5am just off the campsite, possibly in the country park. Perhaps one of the locals bagging themselves Sunday Lunch?

Gunshots often heard in Top Valley and Bestwood Park,and they aint for Sunday Dinner !

Another alleged murder yesterday of a child in Bestwood Park. Some oddballs up there.

Northampton for some reason had a large Eastern European influx in the late 90s,and we were constantly being asked by the Coop to go there to combat the rise in organised, 'Shoplifting',by mainly Rumanians gangs of up to 20 people.

Felt sorry for the Staff in those shops who were constantly being threatend, thats probably the reason 'Northampton' is on my 'crap town list.

Well whoever writes the book has obviously never been to Derby!

Derby is a filthy 'oppit. Still can't work out how come is was granted City status

• Upvote 3

Benjamin , been many times to Milton Keynes .

Its almost exactly half-way between where my two sons live , one in Northants , one in Herts.

Because of the massive choice of shops , it's a regular visit for Ikea , John Lewis etc that they don't have in their towns . (Free parking too if you know where to go) .

We did consider moving there but the houses in our price range were a bit run down , though there are some lovely areas .

Mind you , eldest son has now nearly completed his move to Holland so now , midway will be somewhere in the North Sea !

• Upvote 4