Munitions factory, Aspley Lane

Not sure whether I'm posting this in the right place ( knowing me, probably not!) I've recently discovered that my gran worked for a short time at the munitions factory at the bottom of Aspley Lane during WW2. This surprised me as it's not the sort of work I would have imagined her doing as she was a seamstress! Anyway, I digress! Does anyone have any information about the factory please? Even if only the name to start me off on my research.Fingers crossed & thank you.

The building at the bottom of Aspley Lane (still there) used to be a Players storage factory until it was taken over briefly by Rolls-Royce as its tank engine factory, making the Meteor engine, based on the Merlin engine. However, it was soon taken over by Rover, who were the main manufacturers there until they moved back to the Birmingham area.

My wife began her very first job at Ascot works which was then Robert Shaws as a sewing machinist in 1955.

i remember there was a factory on the opposite side, iv'e no idea what it was though. I seem to remember the road being called Ascot drive.

There used to be a jitty that came out near Skills garage on St Peters St, and also to Ainsley Est I think.

This started at the end of Ascot Dr.

The Collins Warehouse (advertise in the Post alot) are on Ascot Road. The road was when Imlive near there a dead end and then there was a footpath alongside soem allotments and continued to a bridge over the railway line and then to St Peter's Gate.

Speedo also had a building on Ascot Road.

Collins is still there in the old Co-op building which was Players before that. Speedo has been demolished. There were munitions factories large and small all over Nottingham.

Yes Bilbraborn, my Mum worked in a munitions factory down the Medders. It was in the Trent Engineering factory, near Mundella school apparently ....... I don't know that area so don't even know if Trent Engineering still exists.

• 8 months later...

Lizzie, Trent Engineering was based at the end of Wilford Crescent East, opposite the Boys Club and Trent Bridge School. The site was later taken over by the printing company, I think in the seventies. I used to live just round the corner. It was a quite a small company though and I was unaware it was ever used for munitions.