Retired last year at 68 after being a workaholic for 53 years,got diagnosed with a nasty illness just after,was really peed off and depressed,however now on top of my illness and the depression that went with it,thanks in no small part to my large extended family,and joining this forum has been a great help and i thank you all for that.

I Have many interests and have tried to keep busy,but nothing has replaced my thirst for the work i used to do,anyway cut a long story short,today i have been offered a position doing what i love (accepted) when i like and where i like and as much or little as i like,how good is that!

my wife Donna is as pleased as me,not be under her feet as much,anyhow thought i 'd share my happy day with you all,as i consider you my friends.

• Upvote 12

That is fantastic news for you Benjamin. I hope you get lots of pleasure from being back in the work you obviously love doing. I'm glad that your illness is now in control, and you hid your depression so well with your ever cheerful and comical posts. Thank you for the compliment of seeing us all as your friends. There you go, you made me smile again. Best wishes miduck. from us both. :):)

• Upvote 1

Really pleased for you Benjamin, It is great doing something that you enjoy, I speak from experience. I hope you continue to thrive and continue to keep us all entertained too with your great humour.

• Upvote 1

benjamin1945, the main point that I took from your post (#1) is that you are well and happy and these are the main things in life. I'm pleased that you'll be working at a place that you enjoy but I hope your job doesn't take you away from Nottstalgia as you really do brighten my day when I log into Nottstalgia. I hope things go well for you.

• Upvote 1

I'm not actually working, but I have been asked by a local East Midlands University to help develop a new technique.

I was picked up from professional social media, and was chosen based on 27 years experience in my old job.

I have now facilitated the involvement of my two previous employers in this project. (See line 2 of my sig.) :)

Feel free to blow your own trumpet, no one else will.

• Upvote 1

Well done benjamin, if that's what you personally feel is what you need then go for it.

I was a workaholic and loved every job I did, always worked lots of overtime but when I retired three years ago at 65 I didn't miss it one bit. I realised that things weren't as enjoyable as they used to be and barely gave work a thought.

I did more gardening, cooking, walking, reading and re kindled my interest in model railways. Mrs red recently retired so we do much more together now.

Anyway, best of luck.

• Upvote 1

Thanks BF, I see your points,but we are all different in our needs,me and the Wife are very close,but we also like our own space,as well as Hols together we also take hols apart,i love going off by myself a couple of times a year and she does the same,it works for us.

Anyway good job did'nt get rid of my suits,shoes,shirts and ties. :)

• Upvote 1

And thanks to you all for your nice comments,..........you are a Grand lot,

• Upvote 3

Yes, keep those smart togs. Anyway who would ever buy a suit at Hucknall Lane car boot. They only want trackies and hooded tops.

• Upvote 2

well done benjamin 1945 this country of ours needs hard workers, it sounds as though youv'e over done it. as I did myself , so take care.

I realise work's hard to get to-day, but there's many as don't want it. loose yer pride and yer loose everything. I'd have shoveled shxx if had to.

• Upvote 2

Congratulations Benjamin. If anyone is interested, they are looking for stewards at the cricket ground, three days training and then you can work. Around £8 an hour, it's long hours 07.30 until about 1900. No age limit, contact Malcolm.Whitt@Nottsccc.co.uk

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...