If you feel the bottom has fallen out your world , drink Shippos and let the world fall out your bottom

Wasn't Sallie Shipstone, Daughter of the owner married to J.Jones Son, Son of J.Jones Rewinds?

• 5 years later...

Hi, I remember the brewery at the bottom of our street, off Bangor st ( Alfred st North ) when the beautiful big shire horses pulled out of brewery with their cart and all barrels on & horses were all decked out with shining brass harnesses, those were the days also the old Raywarp factory & the pork farms business ( Alfred st South )

It was great hearing the horses hooves on the cobbles around Old Basford area. Happy memories of a great childhood.

Oh hi Jenny, I see you're a newbie. Welcome to you.

Welcome Jennie. I pass the old Shippo's brewery regularly. Sad sight now but it is an auction house now among other things. I remember someone telling me that when the brewery closed the water table got higher as they used to take loads of water out of the ground. I heard it caused flooding in Basford cellars.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Living on Kirkstead street we used to have the dray horses and wagons coming down the street all the kids used to watch the sparks fly from the wheels and horses hooves and if there was any poo one of the kids used to knock on the door of the man who had an allotment to let him know.Horses and men were well turned out.

I wonder if thats where the saying comes from" watching the sparks fly."

They're brewing Shipstone's again at the Belvoir microbrewery at Old Dalby. I picked up a few bottles last year to see if it had the true taste of the Shippo's I remembered. It didn't evoke the happy memories I was expecting. Try it - it's a trip out to the Vale of Belvoir and they do brew a selection of other interesting beers.

• 4 weeks later...