As kids we used to have Shippos ginger beer used to bite the back of your throat used to get it from beer off at bottom of Kirkstead Street.When Shippos were brewing and the soap works brewing as well didn't alf stink down the Green.

#24, Radfordred.............was it next to a row of 'Thunderboxes', you'd need 'em, if it were real Shippo's..............

I remember the night me fost wife ran off wi' me best pal, I thought the bottom had dropped out of me world, went out & 'ad ten pints of Shippo's, next morning I felt as if the world had dropped out of me bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 9

#29. Hell's bells! another member telling us about his/her 'ex'. It seems that there are more divorcees amongst us that those who have behaved themselves. lol

• Upvote 1

# 29 ................poor old Paulus..............bet you still miss your best pal................

• Upvote 4

I went on a visit around Shippo's Brewery, late sixties. Each beer we tasted was superb. It was undrinkable in Shippo's pubs though !!. Sunk a lot of Home ales in the Grosvener up Mansfield road. It was always packed, great night but the beer always seemed watery. It was. Some draymen were flogging 50 galls to independent pubs and back-filling the tanker with water. I remember 3 people ended up arrested over it and given jail sentences.

At the end of the night , the Grosvener was a riot of sound as the crowd sang the Beatles "hey jude, na, na na nanan-na...........

Anyone else in those singalongs ?

• Upvote 1

#32 fogrider

God bless the Draymen'.......it was men ike that who kept me in work for so many years............lol.

• 5 years later...
On 7/28/2016 at 7:31 PM, fogrider said:

I went on a visit around Shippo's Brewery, late sixties. Each beer we tasted was superb. It was undrinkable in Shippo's pubs though !!. Sunk a lot of Home ales in the Grosvener up Mansfield road. It was always packed, great night but the beer always seemed watery. It was. Some draymen were flogging 50 galls to independent pubs and back-filling the tanker with water. I remember 3 people ended up arrested over it and given jail sentences.

At the end of the night , the Grosvener was a riot of sound as the crowd sang the Beatles "hey jude, na, na na nanan-na...........

Anyone else in those singalongs ?

Bit of a late reply. I was a regular at The Grosvenor in the late 60s, usually Friday nights. I think I remember the Hey Jude singalong. I still love The Beatles. I also remember the summer of ‘68 which was quite a warm one. Standing outside in the courtyard with a warm pint of Home Ales with the smell of cooked steak wafting out the top floor windows and Garry Puckett and the Union Gap blasting Lady Willpower out the downstairs jukebox. I didn't know about the watered down beer though.

The Grosvenor was one of several great Berni Inns scattered around Notts. The Chateau was always rammed on a Saturday night too. Good times indeed.

Talking of the Château. They used to advertise their home made apple with cream. We used to deliver it from Birds Eye as 'Top Tray range'. When the advertising and trade descriptions act came Into force, the sign changed to home baked or 'cooked on the premises'.

Berni Inns were a wonderful institution. Prawn cocktail, rump steak and Black Forest gateau, all washed down with a bottle of Cotes de Rhone. They were never the same after the Berni brothers sold to Grand Met. We were spoilt for choice in Nottingham and we even ventured out to Long Eaton, The Hutt at Ravenshead, Boston and Tamworth. I remember the large schooners of sherry as an aperitif. They were inexpensive compared with eating out today. 

Bernis locally used to buy their steaks from Mason's butchers on Derby Rd., adjacent to Canning Circus. The same family are still selling locally sourced meat from their farm shop at Gonalston. Very expensive though and just as good and far cheaper at Morrison's!

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We were spoilt for choice in Nottingham and we even ventured out to Long Eaton, The Hutt at Ravenshead, Boston and Tamworth.

Been to all the Berni Inns in and around Nottingham, also the Peel Arms at Tamworth, White Hart at Boston and a bit further afield the Dirty Duck at Walsall.

Always good value meals, we usually washed ours down with a Mateus Rose. We still buy a bottle to have with our Christmas dinner. Wish we could get that other Berni favourite, a good gammon steak here, even the butchers don't do them.

• 9 months later...