Sign in to follow this  
ramrodvirago

Shipstone Brewery

So was it Shipstone or Shipstones ?

If you feel the bottom has fallen out your world , drink Shippos and let the world fall out your bottom

Wasn't Sallie Shipstone, Daughter of the owner married to J.Jones Son, Son of J.Jones Rewinds?

Hi, I remember the brewery at the bottom of our street, off Bangor st ( Alfred st North ) when the beautiful big shire horses pulled out of brewery with their cart and all barrels on & horses were all decked out with shining brass harnesses, those were the days also the old Raywarp factory & the pork farms business ( Alfred st South )

It was great hearing the horses hooves on the cobbles around Old Basford area. Happy memories of a great childhood.

Oh hi Jenny, I see you're a newbie. Welcome to you.

we had the Queen Adelaide in Sneinton and some of my best childhood memories was being allowed to stroke the horses and feed them an apple. They were so wonderfully behaved and huge!!!

Welcome Jennie. I pass the old Shippo's brewery regularly. Sad sight now but it is an auction house now among other things. I remember someone telling me that when the brewery closed the water table got higher as they used to take loads of water out of the ground. I heard it caused flooding in Basford cellars.

Bilbra

It was partly that the brewery did take lots of water but also Basford was always prone to flooding, as the Leen can't handle much water at the best of times.

Have I read somewhere that Scotholme nearby was an early reservoir and water source for the expanding local population late 1800s?

Never be the same. Quart bottles of Shippo's brown ale at parties. Then having the ssshh....sorry, the runs the next day.

Gold Star was nice too.

The only Shippos' I ever liked was the little man with the rattle on the scoreboard at the kop end of the City Ground when the Forest got a goal.

Living on Kirkstead street we used to have the dray horses and wagons coming down the street all the kids used to watch the sparks fly from the wheels and horses hooves and if there was any poo one of the kids used to knock on the door of the man who had an allotment to let him know.Horses and men were well turned out.

I wonder if thats where the saying comes from" watching the sparks fly."

They're brewing Shipstone's again at the Belvoir microbrewery at Old Dalby. I picked up a few bottles last year to see if it had the true taste of the Shippo's I remembered. It didn't evoke the happy memories I was expecting. Try it - it's a trip out to the Vale of Belvoir and they do brew a selection of other interesting beers.

Shipstone's was available @ the Splendour Festival @ Wollaton Park over the weekend.

CoC8Lh1WAAAFXeJ.jpg

• Upvote 1

From the Basford spring maybe?

CmmhSh9XgAABZ8Y.jpg