Hi, Does anyone remember the above company ? I worked there when I was 16yrs as an apprentice in 1964, the company made roller shutters and blinds. I used to walk from the Meadows from Waterway st onto Wilford rd which led to the bottom of Castle boulevard/ Canal street right on the corner. At the junction on the right there were a pair of high wooden gates, inside was an old cobbled courtyard. To the right was Simmons to the left were shopfitters. The buildings were victorian and from the back of the building you could see the canal. Leaving the building through the double wooden gates, if you turned left onto castle boulevard the labour exchange was a little way up on the left. The gates were locked at night, about 15 people worked at this small firm.A chap called ian Waterfall who lived in West Bridgeford I was his apprentice.

Would really apppreciate any recollections.

Keith

As you came up wilford rd over canal bridge,left hand side was dole office then left onto castle boulevard,kept to right turned right to go to redmayne and Todd's ,Carrington st ,was it when you turn right into canal st almost immediately on your right.

Not much use but they obviously moved after 1949 (year of this advert )

14822102185_bd22220f8a_z.jpg

On 03/08/2014 at 8:35 PM, norman said:

At the junction on the right there were a pair of high wooden gates, inside was an old cobbled courtyard. To the right was Simmons to the left were shopfitters. The buildings were victorian and from the back of the building you could see the canal. Leaving the building through the double wooden gates, if you turned left onto castle boulevard the labour exchange was a little way up on the left.

Does this ring any bells?

gtzBqM0.jpg

• Upvote 1

# 1, Keith I have no knowledge of the company but a couple of years ago we bought some Koi Carp from a chap in West Bridgford who was moving house as he'd lived there with his father who'd recently passed away and he couldn't take the fish with him to his new home. His name was Waterfall, which is rather unusual. I reckon his Dad was probably about the right age to be the guy you were apprenticed to. I probably still have this chap's e.mail address.

Koi Carp from a Waterfall.....sure they weren't salmon ? :)

• Upvote 2

What a brilliant forum, thank you all so much for replies re- T Simmons You are all stars!!! Seeing the Photo of where I worked 50yrs was brilliant, took me straight back to that time. Yes I lived with my gran Elizabeth Thurston and uncle Alan Thurston, we lived in Waterway Terrace my uncle worked shifts in the lace factory. I loved living in the Meadows !! sad its gone,now live in Cornwall

Best Wishes to you all and thank you

keith

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

tom simmons and wat simmons my grandfather, were brothers, both had roller blind"s and shutters business, wat simmons in bowden st , radford I rember visiting tom simmons at the canal ?st factory, with my father in the late fourties, but our families did not have much contact at all .

A thread comes back to life - from the other side of the world - after 3 years, with a family member. 

Welcome to Nottstalgia, f simmons.   I've now repaired the missing photos, so you can see what wasn't there previously.

• 3 years later...

Wow this is a blast from the past. My farther used to work there from leaving school may years ago. He started as a t-boy and worked his way up to Forman and then started his own business. I visited there many times as a kid in the early 70's and remember those big old wooden gates at the front, I even had a bike from Bunny's. LizzieM mentions  Mr Waterfall, I remember him well, his first name was Brian and he was very good friends with my farther, he later went on to work with my farther setup on his own business manufacturing roller shutters.  

Amazing the things you find on the internet 

Watt Simmons roller blinds wasn't on Boden Street, it was at the top of Denton Street, with address as Denman Street. It was four doors up from where I lived. We used to go in there to scrounge sawdust for pet cages etc. They had a wood stockyard next door to the washouse  (other side of Denman street). Next door to workshop was the Denman Inn, (top of Kyme street).....Just chucked in for interest.

• Upvote 1