The Old Market Square

I saw a post on here some weeks ago regarding the fact that the Market Square in Nottingham is having a face lift,just wondered what is going to be put there in place of the fountains,garden beds etc? & are the toilets remaining? also whats happening on the site of the Trinity Square car park? My son is visiting Nottingham from Oz in a couple of weeks time ,boy is he in for a few surprises,he hasn't visited since 1998.

Caz

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

I remember going to the 'old market square' in the 50's on a sunday, Sundays were dead in town in them days, something to do with the 'sabbath', anyway, every Sunday it was gauranteed you could see some chap stood on the wall speaking about religion, politics or anything which came to his mind, a large crown would gather and listen intently. I found it very interesting and amusing though, then there was the chap who used to walk up and down Listergate holding a bible on higjh and saying 'repent, the end is nigh' - is end was, he's passed over now.

I remember going to the 'old market square' in the 50's on a sunday, Sundays were dead in town in them days, something to do with the 'sabbath',

re Sundays of yore:

I was only thinking the other day how we never hear the sound churchbells anymore, it was always a feature on a sunday morning waking up to the sound of the various parishes summoning the masses....

I also remember it being a very unexciting day, half the kids would be dressed in up in their sunday best, and the majority of shops would be closed for the day, and very little traffic would be seen on the roads. even the telly would be dead, showing programs like 'songs of praise' and 'stars on sunday' the only saving grace being 'Sunday night at the London palladium' with Brucie's 'Beat the Clock'..

all in stark contrast to today where sometimes sunday seems to be the busiest day of the week, the supermarkets crammed full of shoppers and the motorway packed to capacity.

there is actually one consolation to all of this though, at least nowadays we can buy a bag of sugar or a bottle of bleach, which on sundays of yore these items would unavailable for purchase, and were sorely missed.

Taking that one step further, did you know it was illegal to buy a Bible on Sunday, but you could go in to a newsagents and purchase a magazine off the top shelf.

Total hypocracy or what?

At home Sunday afternoon was the time for the family to play games together. I remember playing cards and dominoes with my mum and dad. Rationing was still in force and we would have a Mars bar and slice it up to share. This was when Mars bars were twice as big and a lot more chocolate on them.

Oh happy days...

A lips0

• 1 month later...

Whats happening with the Market Square now Mick ,have the renovations got very far? Love to see a pic if anyone is in the vicinity.

My son is visiting from W.A but I don't think he will be sober enough to take one !!

Last time I saw it a few weeks ago it was all walled off, you cant see what their up to.?

Anyone get down there to take a pic, please walk down to outside old C&A's and get a picture of the plaque comemorating Frank Robinson

notts_faces_xylophone_man_300.jpg

See Topic Xylophone Man - Frank Robinson - Dead!, Nottingham's most legendary busker

Why didnt ya stand on the statue of Queen Vic, to get a higher view, like the last photographer?

Oh Sorry they moved it to the Rock Gardens :Fool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Last time I saw it a few weeks ago it was all walled off, you cant see what their up to.?

Anyone get down there to take a pic, please walk down to outside old C&A's and get a picture of the plaque comemorating Frank Robinson

notts_faces_xylophone_man_300.jpg

See Topic Xylophone Man - Frank Robinson - Dead!, Nottingham's most legendary busker

Just for you Mick had to shift a women who was standing on it .

post-58-1152990162_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

"Old Market Square" To give it its proper name?

I'm sure thats what it was always called?

What Should we call it Now?

"The New Market Square"

"Old Market Square" To give it its proper name?
I'm sure thats what it was always called?

What Should we call it Now?

"The New Market Square"

Without wishing to bring down the wrath of Rob upon myself,how about instead of `Slab Square' we could have ` Stab Square'

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Haven't been back to Nottingham since 2001,googled 'Old Market Square'. Bleddy 'ell its gone!! What a pathetic substitute for the old 'Slab Square'.

My wife was shocked.the last time we were there together was in 97',all kinds of stuff was going on.

I have been reading posts about the new Square, but only just got round to taking a look.They have taken out the heart of the city.Where do people sit to watch the world go by,feed the pigeons,lie on the grass to sober up? It looks foreign.

If you haven't noticed, there's also another thread on this subject, which has a selection of photos - old and new.

http://nottstalgia.c...re&fromsearch=1

I know which I prefer. The current concrete slab of nothingness is a disaster.

And on a slightly more topical point, I see that the occupants of tent corner are about to be invited to consider their ways

http://www.bbc.co.uk...mshire-17175992

most off us old uns will always call it slab square always and always will be as far as i amconcerned they have taken the hart out of our city