Speed awareness course

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I understand the frustrations caused by large groups of cyclists, I would like to stand up and be counted for the individual who just wants to get from A to B safely. The other week Hubby had to

Not wanting to have a go at cyclists but...I'm not ignorant about cyclists and their apparel. I have a range of different motorcycle kit... I have some that is light and warm, breathes and doesn't cha

There are lot of complaints about cyclists and much of it is true to a certain extent. But considering how perfect we car user's are, it's surprising the amount of mistakes we make,  i.e. using a mobi

Posted Images

I agree with Lizzie, speed cameras are a damn menace. You spend half the time glancing at the speedo and not looking where you're going.

It doesn't stop dealers speeding through council estates in their big 4x4's.

a long time ago I got caught speeding by a camera doing 34 miles an hour up westdale lane a steep hill righ at the top and there's another camera as you hit the flat part for good measure. i don't know if they're still there. i took the fine and the points, disgusted.

Got myself popped a few months ago 83mph in a 55 actually it was a bit more that that but the cop said he would give me a break

If you don't go to court $1100 + points

If you do & Qualify for traffic school $240 + traffic school total $320 this means you don't get any points on your license

You sign up for the school & pay but I have never been bothered to take the class ........ 3 TIMES I have done this they don't even bother to check you did. So I guess it all about the money.

Makes me laugh these 20mph zones. There's me sticking rigidly to the 20mph and cyclists are speeding up my inside much faster than me.

• Upvote 2

I have been working in Newark this week. I tend to stick to the speed limit up (and down) the A46 dual carriageway. However, nearly all other motors flash past me much faster. I'm sure many of them have no control over their vehicles. It seems wherever I go they must overtake at any cost.

• Upvote 1

I quite agree with yer Bilbraborn we've waited such a long time for this dual carriageway and its abused by some.

Speed cameras have earned billions of pounds over the years. All these motorists that fly past you and, as Bilbraborn (#33) states 'It seems wherever I go they must overtake at any cost' all contribute to this. The fact is, speed kills. You read about people being killed everyday but there are many casualties who end up in a vegetative state. It may merit a casual glance in the newspaper but how would you feel when the police knock on your door to inform you that your loved one has been hit by a speeding driver?. It does seem a little petty for hippo girl (#1) and Karlton (#29) to have to pay a speeding fine for 3 and 4 mph over the limit. Cash Cow springs to mind. It's like basfordred (#28) states, you'd need to keep your eyes constantly on the speedometer and not the road. My solution to this would be all new vehicles will be fitted with 'cruise control' Once drivers get used to them they'll realise how beneficial they are.

I passed my driving test at 17 years, 2 months.....have driven everywhere, including the school run in central London.....never had an accident or points on my licence until now......cash cow does spring to mind......what about all those who have no car tax, insurance and get away with it ?......someone has to pay....just like the benefits system ,which is in place to help those who need it most....those who abuse it are funded by those, who if they are late with their tax returns ,are penalised.....

The technology exists that by using satellite GPS most late model vehicles can be prevented from exceeding the speed limits, I wonder why it is not used?

In the future I can see this technology being used instead of cameras. In effect a speed camera on every road.

As benjamin states, speed kills. If you're hit at 60,mph, it's cheerio, but at 40mph you'll possibly survive.

However, let's put things in perspective, and look at things realistically.

Reckless driving kills, inattentive and carelessness kills, defective cars kill, idiots pulling out of side roads kill, lane changing without indicating kills, drunkenness and drugs kill.

I've just driven down the A614 from Ollerton and in the 50mph limit, I'm stuck behind some ar5ehole doing 35 in a Nissan Micra and low and behold, the traffic builds up and people take chances. Someone could have had an accident whilst overtaking and he'd be the cause.

One that has amazed and also irritated me intensely is the new law regarding lane hogging on the motorway. The opposite now happens with idiots changing lanes every few yards. Aston University did a study on this subject a few years ago and proved beyond doubt that constant lane changing is the main cause of motorway accidents. Obviously the powers that be don't listen to the experts.

hwysafety.com/hwy_Montana.htm

Seems like speed accidents depends on the roads you drive how many drinks or drugs you take & seatbelt usage.

The death rate was the lowest for years with no daytime speed limit as soon as they imposed a limit the rate went up again.

My car seems to follow the flow of traffic it dosnt hold anyone up I have 540Hp under my right foot.

post-3413-0-93341300-1407607130_thumb.jp

Both speeding and drink driving are interesting things. A seasoned drinker is probably safer with a couple of pints than an occasional drinker with half a pint. Speeding comes with experience and reactions. I have been driving for over forty years and can control a fast moving car, but I do not speed and certainly keep it down in built up areas. I am safe enough on the motorway, but I see no point in using up fuel for nothing. Anyway, my car is too old to thrash the hell out of it. Young drivers may think they have good reactions, but they do not have the driving experience to drive as fast as some of them do.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 years later...

I have always supported the case that, it's inappropriate use of speed that kills, not speed itself!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 and 40 mph speed limits are starting to appear all over the place now on roads that are more than suitable for 60. Conversely around here in the Trent Valley you can leave a 50 limit main road and drive on a narrow side road at 60. Our own lane is narrow and twisty and yet I can legally drive at 60. It’s almost impossible to find a road in Derbyshire that’s not 50. I’m sure we’ll soon be having a man with a red flag walking in front of the car if the local authorities have their way. I drive a sports car and like to give it the beans occasionally when it’s safe to do so but I’m seriously considering something like a Nissan Micra next time now that the enjoyment has been taken out of driving.

• Like 1