Speed awareness course

Just got caught doing 35 mph in 30 mile stretch of road, and have been offered a course instead of points on my licence...

As I haven't already got any, it isn't a problem, but would love to hear if any Nottstalgians have chosen the course instead of points and what was it like ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I understand the frustrations caused by large groups of cyclists, I would like to stand up and be counted for the individual who just wants to get from A to B safely. The other week Hubby had to

Not wanting to have a go at cyclists but...I'm not ignorant about cyclists and their apparel. I have a range of different motorcycle kit... I have some that is light and warm, breathes and doesn't cha

There are lot of complaints about cyclists and much of it is true to a certain extent. But considering how perfect we car user's are, it's surprising the amount of mistakes we make,  i.e. using a mobi

Posted Images

I haven't been caught speeding for over 18 years now & they didn't do the speed awareness course then. If I got caught now I'd take the course as you never know if you'll get caught again. With these 20 MPH limits you only need to go over for a few seconds & they've got you..

Bad luck, hippo girl. I've just looked up the info and although you will pay £85 for the Speed Awareness Course instead of the £60 plus 3 penalty points, you have to take into concideration how much your insurance premiums will shoot up. After taking the course all records of the offence are wiped. If you commit a further offence before a certain time then the original offence will be put onto your record. Whatever you decide, think of the insurance premiums first.

http://www.theaa.com/aadrivetech/driver-awareness/speed-awareness-course.html

Chrissie, my husband has been on 2 Speed Awareness Courses, because on both occasions he already had 6 points on his licence. There has to be at least 3 years between offences to enable you to go on the course. He just managed that time scale! On both occasions he found it a very interesting experience, and actually cheaper than a speeding fine and of course no more points on his licence. I think he may have taken heed now and generally slowed down!

Michael, it's a 4 hour lecture, not 2 days. My husband did one at Eastwood Hall and one at the Crowne Plaza in town. I agree with your comment about insurance premiums, the Speed Awareness Course is not registered at all so there is no need to mention to your Insurance Company. Oh yes, btw, I believe a speeding fine is now £100, whereas a speed awareness course can cost different amount depending where you choose to go, but it's not as much as £100.

My daughter did one in Somerset a couple of years ago and said it was ok. Just makes you think more when driving.

LizzieM (#6), I'd edited my post (#3) after reading denshaw's (#4). I never realised it was a £100 fine for speeding now. It just goes to show what a good little boy I am. Good or lucky?.. :biggrin:

I would have replied earlier but I couldn't log onto Nottstalgia.

I got three points in 2001.

It didn't affect my insurance at all (although I did inform them). If you've had a clean record up until now, and you were only a few mph over the limit, many insurance companies will give you the benefit of the doubt. If your premium does go up, definitely shop around for a different insurance company.

And as a final twist....if you get points, they stay on your licence for 4 years. Then you can have them taken off your licence, but you have to pay £20 to DVLC to remove them.

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/how-long-endorsements-stay-on-your-driving-licence

Did one a few years ago and it's a piece of cake really. Mine also was at the Crown Plaza and consisted of two sessions with a short coffee break inbetween. You listen to a talk and do a few interactive exercises as groups - nothing very demanding. We were told to inform our insurance companies during the one I attended.

On a serious note it does help you think about your speed a little more in my experience - in particular that drifting just a few miles over the limit along with the flow of traffic so I think it's a worthwhile exercise. The minimum fixed penalty for a speeding offence is now £100.

When you get your notification to do it you log on to a website and select your choice from a number of fixed dates on the calendar.

I'd definitely go for it

I've been on one. As said previously, you dont fail- unless you turn up very late or refuse to participate, but in reality you hardly need to anyway if you dont want to. Just a few simple questions at the end, and in our case you marked your own sheet as the answers were gone through. I'd get on the first available course and get it over with.

Catfan, it wasn't me speeding, it was HippoGirl! Anyway, these damn speed cameras are a menace. My husband's been caught a few times in and around Nottingham since we've been back here (10 years), hence the need to grab a Speed Awareness Course when it was offered. Each time he was doing something between 35 and 37mph in a 30 limit and always where the limit had just been reduced from 40 to 30. I really get on his nerves now when I'm in the car, I spend all my time reminding him he's going over 30! A couple of years ago he was done on 2 consecutive Saturday mornings going through Mansfield (different cameras) :angry2::angry2:

He's a glutton for punishment, LizzieM (#20). There are speed cameras everywhere nowadays so the likelihood of getting caught is high. I saw something in the Nottingham Post a while ago regarding a mobile speed camera that parks just past the Dunkirk flyover, going towards the QMC. It stated how much it had taken in fines and it was a fortune.