Speed awareness course

I was working for Wilson Ford Rewinds when that law came into effect, why I recall it was we had a truck driver who had only worked for us for a few months and was worried sick his job would be gone, the company sent him for driving lessons to get him his HGV which he passed with flying colours, I think that was about71 or 72, as I wasn't with W/F in 70, I was still with J. Jones.

They have different rules this side of the pond, I can drive any two axle vehicle on a car license, to drive a truck for a living here requires a CDL, (Commercial Drivers License).

I've seen several recreation 5th wheel trailers hauled by two axle tractors, must be an expensive game using those at 6-8mpg. One I saw had ab extended chassis and they carried a car behind the cab, I have photos of it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I understand the frustrations caused by large groups of cyclists, I would like to stand up and be counted for the individual who just wants to get from A to B safely. The other week Hubby had to

Not wanting to have a go at cyclists but...I'm not ignorant about cyclists and their apparel. I have a range of different motorcycle kit... I have some that is light and warm, breathes and doesn't cha

There are lot of complaints about cyclists and much of it is true to a certain extent. But considering how perfect we car user's are, it's surprising the amount of mistakes we make,  i.e. using a mobi

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I think there is some subversive sexual reason for cycle clothing. :biggrin:

Well, I couldn't possibly comment. Anyway, it's nice so I'm taking the bike out for a spin this afternoon...just got to go and get me leathers on.:biggrin:

Huge amount of ignorance being displayed on here about cyclists and suitable clothing. Serious cyclist need clothing that is highly visible for safety reasons, It needs to be light but still warm, that breathes and is chafe proof.

Death results due to arrogance. Cyclists 100's even 1000's over the years, motorists a handful. No contest. Of course cyclists are arrogant - they go out on the road every day looking for an argument with a ton or so of metal. Take that!!! Oh! I've fractured my skull and bust me hip - and you are complaining about a dented wing...never mind I got you didn't I.

• Like 1

Well said PP,, can't beat riding Tandem with a young/old lady on a pleasant sunday afternoon dressed in Lycra,, 

34 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Huge amount of ignorance being displayed on here about cyclists and suitable clothing. Serious cyclist need clothing that is highly visible for safety reasons, It needs to be light but still warm, that breathes and is chafe proof.

Death results due to arrogance. Cyclists 100's even 1000's over the years, motorists a handful. No contest. Of course cyclists are arrogant - they go out on the road every day looking for an argument with a ton or so of metal. Take that!!! Oh! I've fractured my skull and bust me hip - and you are complaining about a dented wing...never mind I got you didn't I.

Not ignorant about cyclists at all. I quite understand why they wear their strange apparel. I just don’t like the way they ride round the lanes in packs, disregarding the Highway Code and showing discourtesy to other road users. This is a fairly recent phenomenon. It would be better if they rode round dedicated stadiums and kept off the roads. Time trials on the pubic highway should definitely be outlawed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's nearly all lanes where I live and I don't mind cyclists at all except, when they are riding four abreast and you dare'nt  risk trying to pass them. A lot of our roads are double lined and the bikes stretch out to the middle. You can guarantee the first time you attempt to pass, you meet some nutcase coming the opposite way who thinks he's immortal. Nuff said.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Beekay said:

It's nearly all lanes where I live and I don't mind cyclists at all except, when they are riding four abreast and you dare'nt  risk trying to pass them. A lot of our roads are double lined and the bikes stretch out to the middle. You can guarantee the first time you attempt to pass, you meet some nutcase coming the opposite way who thinks he's immortal. Nuff said.

These are the sort of cyclists I complain about. Not the solitary ones riding to the shops or going about their business. It's those who ride in packs with total disregard for others. Obviously in a pack they have safety in numbers and feel free to dish out abuse to other road users. I have to pay for a licence to drive, exhibit number plates and must carry insurance. I'm identifiable, they're not. That can't be fair on todays congested roads

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Not wanting to have a go at cyclists but...I'm not ignorant about cyclists and their apparel. I have a range of different motorcycle kit... I have some that is light and warm, breathes and doesn't chafe and would protect me if I crashed and went down the road. I could walk about in it not looking particulary like a biker, just a normal bloke. I don't wear hi viz because plenty of research shows it doesn't make a difference as far as increased visibility to other road users.

Many cyclists must realise this because they wear dark-coloured Lycra, so they don't care about visibility? They do not seem to care about protection when they come off, even at 20 mph, Lycra can't compete with gravel and neither can skin, that doesn't include broken bones. I see many cyclists without helmets.

2 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Read arrogance of cyclists. You would expect, given what you have just said PP, that they wouldn't ride in bunches, blocking the carriageway. They wouldn't cut in front of vehicles without even looking. They wouldn't ignore traffic signs. They would ride in the cycle lanes when provided. They wouldn't gang up, stop and physically threaten an old lady motorist for trying to pass, as I reported on here a while back and then try to intimidate me too, when I intervened. They wouldn't act like the Muppets I mentioned by the bridge, and then give a foul-mouthed response ( from a 'lady' ) when I politely pointed out it wasn't a safe place for five or six cyclists to stop.

Like I said, there's cyclists and cyclists like any other group. Two sides to any argument.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

While I understand the frustrations caused by large groups of cyclists, I would like to stand up and be counted for the individual who just wants to get from A to B safely. The other week Hubby had to go on a course, necessitating the use of our one and only car. It coincided with my yoga class, and though I could have caught the bus, I thought it would be nice to cycle the 4 miles, along a country lane, getting in some exercise too. I used our work Hi Viz jacket for safety and most people gave me plenty of room, slowing down, and waiting if there was something coming in the opposite direction, and I always acknowledged their thoughtfulness, keeping as close to the edge as I could (The lanes are not particularly wide). And all went well, until the "gentleman" who came roaring up behind me and nearly took me out trying to get past me before the oncoming car reached us! There was no need but obviously he was making a point that I was in his way and he was very important...….probably the same very important t**t who races through the village (40mph limit) at about 80 - I recognised the unhealthy exhaust sound of his vehicle!

Anyway I'm off my soapbox now, and I will be cycling to yoga again in the warmer months.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Waddo said:

Usually a clip on the elbow from the side mirror gets the desired result !!!

You may want to rethink that: quote for a Vauxhall wing mirror..... £600 plus fitting!

TBI has it right, there are two sides. My neighbour is an avid cyclist and yes I tease him about his gear but he conscientious and never seems to have problems. Then there are the idiots on YT riding two abreast on a single carriage (60mph) road who give the policeman a hard time with 'I know my rights , I know the law, pedals before power' etc. He only stopped them to give a bit of friendly advice but they were screaming police harassment.

It's not just the gay Lycra brigade either. Going back a bit Jeremy Vine acted like a total kn..b head in London when he got into a contretemps with a lady motorist. True she was well out of order and quite rightly taken to court but if he had had a little consideration maybe it wouldn't have ended the way it did. 

You certainly might. £600+... and the rest...example cyclist with his foot in those clips that attach to the pedals and can't release in time and goes under the wheels of following vehicle. Family man, crippled, earning £50k a year now lost earnings - million quid+. If killed, prison sentence for death by dangerous driving, widow and orphans. I know it's tongue in cheek but things easily get misinterpreted.

On the subject of those pedal clips...not long back I was on Central Ave in WB when a lycra came cycling up the wrong way, from the library end. Pedestrian with push-chair decides to walk across without looking, cyclist has to stop quick, can't get his foot out and drops down sideways with a bang. I helped him up, fortunately he was ok. Why do you have those stupid clips I asked. Well, they're absolutely essential but they can be a bit of a b@stard. If it had been a bus going down there, things might have been different.

I have friends in the village who are keen cyclists and say that I should try it, not having been on a cycle since falling off my Pink Witch I doubt it's going to happen. I watch Miss Marple and other country programs and a woman does not look to good from the rear, could be the rear in question is to big.  I'm sure that does not apply to you Carni.

Most of my cycling these days is done on an old posties bike to go to the shops 4 miles away. I wear high viz work mans' jacket and boots. Still got knocked off by a car turning left in front of me. I always wear a helmet but that has not saved me having serious injuries. I did get a considerable sum in compensation on one occasion, fortunately I am always insured. On another occasion I was on a main road by myself and a car took me out from behind and did not stop. Serious head and hip injuries. It really is no contest.

I wonder why cycling time trials should be a problem? Maybe upsets those in sports cars that lament the lack of freedom to speed. One person on a bike, one person in a car. Both pay the same taxes for road building and maintenance. Which does the most damage? One pollutes, the other does not. I could go on.....

• Like 2

Absolutely correct, cyclists (and motorcyclists for that matter) make up the largest percentage of accidents yet represent the smallest percentage of road-users. They are considerably more vulnerable and the margins of error are stacked against them. All road-users should be especially understanding of this. That said...

There are two sorts of cyclists, those who use them as a form of transport and those who use them for sport. The sport cycling fraternity that use public roads are overwhelmingly identified in a negative way. The fact that many wear Lycra of any hue is of no interest to me, that's up to them. However, they do wear it for reasons stated, comfort ( I don't accept to make them more visible ) in their sporting activity. This now relates back to thread, that sporting activity is speed. Lycra is worn in able to cycle faster. That still doesn't matter. If they participate in time trials on public roads, to me that doesn't matter either, they ride singly. What does matter and what provokes a source of constant enragement is pack riding. PP, you know what I mean, pelotons. This is the practice of riding in groups to streamline and increase speed still further. Folks will have seen this, Tour de France etc. which are usually on closed roads or sports tracks. Given my first paragraph, are these cyclists taking basic steps to protect themselves? On a public road, in groups trying to maximise speed. They expect other users to watch out for them. They must be living in a fantasy world if they don't realise the queue of traffic behind them is right royally p!ssed off and they face risk from frustrated drivers trying to overtake to reasonably proceed with their journeys. Do they care, not a monkeys. They are inconsiderate and bullies, I've witnessed it.

These folk are the minority within cycling, yet they give the whole cycling fraternity a bad press. I could go on too..but I won't ..it's an old chestnut and I've said my piece.

• Like 1

Now this is the part that I don't fully understand, cyclists, which in the vulnerability stakes, rank one up from pedestrians and one below motorcyclist are allowed to effectively race on the public highway. My insurance is null and void if I did that on my motor bike or car !!. Also when out on my bike, I do tend to ride more defensively than in a car, because I know how vulnerable i am. But the groups of cyclists,as stated, think that they are above the law. Please feel free to enlighten me,!!

• Like 1

Group cycling has changed a lot since my club run days. They don't appear to be as well disciplined and are generally bigger groups. Apart from training groups, which are smaller, the reason for riding as a group is not about speed. It's more of a social thing and often contains youngsters within a protective group.

There are indeed some bad cyclists and I will not defend their actions. They are a bleddy nuisance and let the rest of us down. On the other hand, compared with a bad driver, of which there are many more, their chance of causing death or injury are minute compared to that of a motorist.

If motorists understood the cyclists' lot a little better it would reduce friction and frustration. To view some groups of cyclists as arrogant or as bullies is a bit extreme - maybe thoughtless is more apt.

• Like 1

My cousin, John Newton, did a lot of cycling in his younger days, born 1941, and belonged to a club although I don't know which one. He took it very seriously. His family lived at Paignton Close, Cinderhill.

As to cyclists being a nuisance, I've driven behind a few idiots recently who suddenly jump onto their rear wheel and remove their hands from the handlebars! No helmet or protective clothing, of course!  When they are knocked off, they'll complain bitterly and their inept parents will widen their eyes at the prospect of compensation for their brainless offspring's injuries!

• Like 1

There are lot of complaints about cyclists and much of it is true to a certain extent. But considering how perfect we car user's are, it's surprising the amount of mistakes we make,  i.e. using a mobile phone, eating and drinking while driving, radio blaring out so you can't here emergency vehicles approaching, overtaking in the wrong places, opening the car door without looking to see if there is cyclist approaching, and how many of us has read the highway code lately, and many other things we car users do wrong. We all make mistakes and do stupid things on the road whether we intend to or not. So the key is... have more consideration and understanding for other road users, even cyclists, they have the right to be on the roads too. And how many of us would pass the driving test today ?. It might be a good idea to open your car door with your left hand, it forces you to turn your head and look to see if there is anything approaching from behind.

I might get a lot of stick for this. lol

• Like 4

I don't want to appear self righteous but I don't do any of those things. I'm a bit of a petrolhead and enjoy driving. I believe when you're behind the wheel you should give maximum attention to what's around you. I recently took a theory test test online and passed 100%. I've only recently given up doing track days at Cadwell Park as it was getting more difficult to get in and out of my Lotus. There's an enormous cill to climb over! I treat driving as an art and give it my full attention at all times. I keep thinking about doing the advanced motoring test but I think I would end up disagreeing with the examiner on techniques. Our last vicar used to display an IAM badge on his car and I thought he was displaying a 'holier than though' attitude! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm with you on that one Phil, but when you give a cyclist a friendly ,'pap ' on the horn to let them know that you are there, and they stay two or three abreast, and then put two fingers up to you after, I call that damm right ignorant, or very brave/stupid. I know a few folks that would not think twice about stopping in front of them and wrapping the bikes around they're neck.

When we lived in Doncaster we used to come to my parents in Nottingham on sundays. I think we came down the A1 (down past Clumber Park is that the A1?). There were very often time trials (I think) for bikes and the journey could be a bit of a nitemare. Most cyclists are responsible but there are some who seem to think they own the road especially when they are in a crowd. We once had an instance where there was a crowd spread across the road, my husband patiently waited (whilst muttering under his breath about car tax, insurance etc.) and when they moved over went to pass them, when halfway past them one di*****d pulled out in front of him don’t know how my husband missed him and then proceeded to berate my husband. My husband stopped the car and got out, I had to hold him back he was so angry about it, the cyclist never checked to see if there was anything behind him and I have no doubt if he had been hurt my husband would have been blamed. I always hated that journey after that when there were cyclists about it made what should have been an enjoyable day very stressful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1