hippo girl

Speed awareness course

There are lot of complaints about cyclists and much of it is true to a certain extent. But considering how perfect we car user's are, it's surprising the amount of mistakes we make,  i.e. using a mobile phone, eating and drinking while driving, radio blaring out so you can't here emergency vehicles approaching, overtaking in the wrong places, opening the car door without looking to see if there is cyclist approaching, and how many of us has read the highway code lately, and many other things we car users do wrong. We all make mistakes and do stupid things on the road whether we intend to or not. So the key is... have more consideration and understanding for other road users, even cyclists, they have the right to be on the roads too. And how many of us would pass the driving test today ?. It might be a good idea to open your car door with your left hand, it forces you to turn your head and look to see if there is anything approaching from behind.

I might get a lot of stick for this. lol

• Like 4

I don't want to appear self righteous but I don't do any of those things. I'm a bit of a petrolhead and enjoy driving. I believe when you're behind the wheel you should give maximum attention to what's around you. I recently took a theory test test online and passed 100%. I've only recently given up doing track days at Cadwell Park as it was getting more difficult to get in and out of my Lotus. There's an enormous cill to climb over! I treat driving as an art and give it my full attention at all times. I keep thinking about doing the advanced motoring test but I think I would end up disagreeing with the examiner on techniques. Our last vicar used to display an IAM badge on his car and I thought he was displaying a 'holier than though' attitude! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm with you on that one Phil, but when you give a cyclist a friendly ,'pap ' on the horn to let them know that you are there, and they stay two or three abreast, and then put two fingers up to you after, I call that damm right ignorant, or very brave/stupid. I know a few folks that would not think twice about stopping in front of them and wrapping the bikes around they're neck.

When we lived in Doncaster we used to come to my parents in Nottingham on sundays. I think we came down the A1 (down past Clumber Park is that the A1?). There were very often time trials (I think) for bikes and the journey could be a bit of a nitemare. Most cyclists are responsible but there are some who seem to think they own the road especially when they are in a crowd. We once had an instance where there was a crowd spread across the road, my husband patiently waited (whilst muttering under his breath about car tax, insurance etc.) and when they moved over went to pass them, when halfway past them one di*****d pulled out in front of him don’t know how my husband missed him and then proceeded to berate my husband. My husband stopped the car and got out, I had to hold him back he was so angry about it, the cyclist never checked to see if there was anything behind him and I have no doubt if he had been hurt my husband would have been blamed. I always hated that journey after that when there were cyclists about it made what should have been an enjoyable day very stressful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think that giving a friendly pap on the horn is not what a cyclist would call friendly, to them it is a signal of  " get out of my way."  I think any cyclist do know that there are cars and other traffic behind them.  The best way is to wait and overtake when it is suitable and safe to do so. As for considering stopping wrapping the bikes around  their necks, is just the sort of behaviour that causes tension. I never have problems with cyclists that's probably because I am a considerate driver, and that I realize that I am not " The King Of The Road ".

• Like 2

Well said Tompa. As for motorists stopping to berate a cyclist or to wrap their bike around them..here is a warning. About 20 years ago a group of us were riding near to Litchfield. A Pickup truck driver started blaring his horn. Not a pip a blare. When the road was clear he purposely grazed by two rider who then fell off. He then stopped up the road while we check for injuries and remounted. As we approached he jumped out into the road with his arms outstretched and started shouting obscenities. He was a big man. Unfortunately for him one of the riders that he knocked off was a newly retired Special Services man. I don't know how he did it but the big man ended up on the ground grovelling. My pal ran to the pickup. Got the keys out and threw them into the field. The big man, on his knees just looked on in disbelief. We rode on having taken his number but did not report it for obvious reasons.

Dave was wearing lycra but he was one of the hardest guys out there and charming with it. His actions took us all by surprise. Glad he was on my side :biggrin:

• Like 2

You can't have it both ways PP, two wrongs don't make a right. You are denigrating one mans violent action and praising, even admiring, another.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I keep thinking about doing the advanced motoring test but I think I would end up disagreeing with the examiner on techniques

Why not go for an assessment, it's free. You may well argue, (I did, quite a lot actually) but there's an equal chance you may learn something even if you don't carry on.

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

Why not go for an :biggrin:assessment, it's free. You may well argue, (I did, quite a lot actually) but there's an equal chance you may learn something even if you don't carry on.

I doubt they can teach me anything about driving.:biggrin:

Ah if only all drivers were as good as they think are. Come along, you may well end up teaching us something. I'm sure we're all willing to learn.   thumbsup

21 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Too pig headed to listen to anyone else these days.:biggrin:

It might be good idea for you start a quiz on NT so we can all test our knowledge, I'm sure you could  help many of us out who have limited driving skills. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

Not rising to the bait!:biggrin:

Fair enough.   :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Brew said:

You can't have it both ways PP, two wrongs don't make a right. You are denigrating one mans violent action and praising, even admiring, another.

You are right brew. But when you get whacked and then get threatened again...... I could not have done it but I would have defended myself vigorously. After being knocked off a bike It is not many people that will stay calm immediately afterwards. It was one wrong against two wrongs and a bit of old time justice thrown in.