Two Lancasters over Lincoln Today

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you might like to see these pictures:- And the most spectacular:- The BBMF News website hasn't been updated yet but this is what seems to be happening on Thursday:- Waddington:- 1

So pleased for you to have been able to witness this incredible event, I'm so envious, unfortunately I booked my holiday a year ago when the prospects of the Canadians flying their Lancaster over to t

Probably because the majority of those 90% aren't British !!!!!! Rog

Posted Images

Rog, the two Lancs, Spit, Hurri, Dak are flying down to Eastbourne on Thursday via Biggin Hill which means there's a good chance of them coming this way, the BBMF News website which gives all the info on flights and times that their Diaplay site doesn't give, only covers up to today, I'm struggling for information, if you hear anything could you let me know.

Pete.

You are lucky to be able to see the only two Lancaster's in the world capable of still flying .I live close by the Hamilton Warplane Museum, Hamilton,Ontario, Canada.

I often see the Canadian one fly overhead, I can always hear it before I see it. I didn't know it was in the UK right now. I have told many WW2 Veterans where they can find the Lancaster when they start talking about the war. Often they don't know you can still get flights on this wonderful old plane.

A couple of years ago in the UK they were making a documentary about the Lancaster. Something happened, and as they were working to a deadline, to

finish their film, they came over here and used ours. I spent almost the whole day looking up as the Lancaster here flew overhead, round and round where I live.

It was wonderful.

I only wish I had the chance to watch the finished Documentary.

I live on the same road as the RAF Museum Hendon. They very often send vintage aircraft over my house and do quite low fly-pasts over the museum - presumably for special events.

I've seen the Lancaster bomber come over a few times - as well as the Spitfire every now and then. You can hear them coming from miles away, the engines have such a distictive sound.

BBC 4 had a programme on this evening about the English aircraft industry - particularly jet aircraft.

They showed the Avro Vulcan - a very scary aircraft that I remember seeing up close flying into RAF Woodford when I was a little boy. Avro were the makers of the Lancaster.

It's amazing that we had such an incredible aircraft industry in the 50's and 60's, particularly after the war when money was so tight.

Don't get me talking about the TSR 2 !!

If I had known you lived there I could have got you to put the kettle on for me. I did a delivery to Chesham, Bucks a few weeks ago and came across and spent the rest of the day in the RAF Museum + a visit to Hannants.

For those of you in the area, Rog in particular, here's the latest info;-

Today, Tues 12th, 2 Lancs, Spitfire, Hurricane, formation display training, Conningsby all day.

Weds 13th, 2 Lancs, Spitfire, Hurricane, formation flying at Conningsby in front of W/C commanding public display accreditation in order to grant permission to fly together at public displays.

Thurs 14th, L+L+S+H depart Conningsby at 14:00 hrs for Eastbourne display, arr 15:00, back to Biggin Hill for overnight stopover arr 15:30pm.

I've tried to register with the NOTAMS site in order to find the local flightpaths, it's a bit of a minefield trying to register on there, I'll try later when I have more time.

The next goody for your area is Thurs 21st August, not too sure as yet how this is meant to pan out, but the 2 Lancs and Vulcan XH558 are to land at RAF Waddington, the base will be open to the public, admission £10 per car however many people are in it, £5 for pedestrians. This is clearly in conjunction with the flypast at Clacton Airshow, information available by e-mail on WAD-Station-Enquiries@mod.uk, I haven't had chance to investigate this yet either and won't today as my son arrives back from Vietnam for a short break and it's going to be party time.

Wish I'd been there Pete. I always seem to be working these days. Still, I have bank holiday week off. Please let me know if anything is happening that week.

It's a bit late to say but I've been very busy at work. It would appear that the two Lancs were to make their first sortie together over Lincoln Cathedral at 13:00, must have been a sight, perhaps it'll be on Look North Humberside and Lincs at 18:30. I've managed to join the NOTAMS information website, but I think you need a degree in just about every science to understand how it works, anyone know, all I want is a simple map with routes marked on it.

I hate to tell you Bilbraborn but all the airshows featuring the two Lancs appear, rather unfairly, to be 'DAAN SAAF'. I'm assuming the Bank Holiday week is the last week in August, check with the BBMF website regularly on their news section, this will give a/c movement dates a few days before, at the very least you will probably be able to get over to Conningsby to see them take off together to the shows.

Travelling back from a trip to Theddlethorpe I went through Horncastle just in time to see the two Lancasters pass over the town.

What a sight & sound ! By the time I had pulled over and got my camera out they had gone....

Smiffy

• Upvote 3

Thanks Pete. I hope to get out and about a bit but must try and catch up on sleep. No doubt my good lady will have stuff for me to do.

I was at Hemswell former air base car boot sale a few years ago when a roaring suddenly hailed the approach of a Lancasater bomber. It flew over at alomost zero feet. What a surprise that was!

There are some fantastic photos of the two Lancs flying together yesterday on the Flypast Forum website, amazingly close together, this crappy computer at work won't let me transfer them from Photobucket, equally the NOTAMS info sent to me this morning is impenetrable, I give up, if they come over the hire centre today, so be it.

Hi Pete, The two Lancs took off about 10.45hrs and headed towards Newark way, not got back yet, have you looked on the "Fighter control" website and picked up some info from there, just follow the "recent air show "photography or the "Coningsby" link, got a few pics of them yesterday,not brilliant pictures but as they flew overhead at about 200ft I had overzoomed my lens and cut the tail of the trailing one, much better to view them as they fly over and not through a lens though

Rog

Hi Rog, I hope you watched BBC Breakfast TV this morning when the gorgeous Carol Kirkwood presented the weather forecast from the parking apron at Biggin Hill with the two Lancs and the Dak. Thank you main stream BBC for doing this, we had footage of them flying together as well, and a bit of a history lesson from some 'experts', it was a bloody change from the miserable death and destruction news we normally get on there.

Yesterday the weather over here was dreadful, they clearly chose a different transit route down to Eastbourne, I envy you for having seen them, but at least my son and I are off to Clacton for the big event next Thursday. Incidentally, a poll suggests that 90% of the population couldn't give a monkeys about such things, sad isn't it.

• Upvote 2

DSCF4346_zpscd54a289.jpg

Last Thursday over the quarry at Tattershall Thorpe, they were about 300ft just after take off fromConingsby

Rog

• Upvote 3

#42 Good job those Lancaster pilots during WW11 could give a Dam?

What is actually taught in history lessons at school nowadays?

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

Lucky you Rog, at 300 ft that must have been a fantastic sound. Flights were revised or cancelled due to the weather over the weekend, the BBMF going over to Southend Airport on Saturday. We spent the afternoon at a beer festival between here and Chelmsford, the surrounding views over the countryside were spectacular, but we never saw anything until we called in at Braintree Morrisons at about 18:30 pm when I was greeted to the sight of two Spitfires going very fast and low over the car park, very spectacular, the Lancs went back to Conningsby via Huntingdon I gather.

I'm definately going to Calcton on Thursday, I read that the two Lancs, Vulcan and two Hawks will be flying down there together from Waddington, the Hawks being used as photo ships for the journey down, I wouldn't be surprised if they pass over Conningsby en-route.

I don't know whether it's the crappy computer at work, but when I make a correction to my post the whole thing comes back on twice and I can't get rid of it unless I delete and write something else like this.

I thought you might like to see these pictures:-

lanc1-1.jpg

lanc3.jpg

lanc2.jpg

And the most spectacular:-

lancview.jpg

The BBMF News website hasn't been updated yet but this is what seems to be happening on Thursday:-

Waddington:- 13:40pm, 2 Lancs take off one after the other followed by the Vulcan, formate on two Hawks.

Flyby Marham 14:25pm

Flyby Wattisham 14:55pm

Arr and display Clacton 15:00pm.

For Waddington info check out http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwaddington/...02C5A20D39A135

For further info on Lancaster flights check out www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

You may be interested to know that both Lancasters will do a flypast over Gedling at 15:30pm on Sunday August 31st and over Collingham on Saturday Sept 20th, I don't know the time for that yet.

• Upvote 4