Just heard that Frank Maloney the ex Boxing promoter is to undergo a 'sex change' operation,ive met him a few times over the years,the last being at the Gateway hotel Nuthall rd,he always wore a smile and would go out of his way to say hello.

Little did i (or anyone else know) the inner turmoil he had,and i wish him well,and i am sure the whole of the 'Macho world' of boxing does as well.,in this enlightened age.

• Upvote 2

I KNOW what you mean Lizzie,but it must be awful to feel trapped in the wrong sex body,for a bloke to admit he feels like a woman must take some doing,especialy growing up in a rough area,i just wonder how many others suffer it and are too afraid to come out?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I'm not very tolerant of this sort of thing. Why does he think the whole world needs to know. Personally, I don't give a flying f..k.

• Upvote 2

Seeing how hes quet well known it would have been difficult to make the change without the press getting hold of it then take the mockery' and i'm sure he won''t give a 'flying f..k what you or i think either.

I'm sure he won't benjamin, he's got a whole different life to look forward to.

People like Frank Moloney don't choose to do this on a whim or because it's the trendy thing to do. Frank has the body of a man but the feelings of a woman and he's grown up this way. The confusion in his mind and the fear of people finding out must have been horrendous. She has changed her name to Kellie and made a statement to the Press which included this excerpt:

“I was born in the wrong body and have always known I was a woman,” she said. “I have a female brain. I knew I was different from the minute I could compare myself to others. “I never felt comfortable doing boys’ things, playing boys’ games. But I buried myself in them to make sure I wasn’t seen as different.”

But Kellie, who was wearing a dress and stilettos, said she was constantly fighting the urge to dress as a woman. “Mentally I was tearing myself apart. “I knew it was either continue and succeed, throw myself off a bridge or give into my urges and be ridiculed.” She admitted that she had spent years fearing her secret desire to be a woman would be exposed.

My daughter has a female friend and her brother, Peter, who's about 36 years old, did the same thing as Frank/Kellie a couple of years ago. I saw him/her today as I drove past and he/she now looks like a young female. It's easy for us all to make good/bad comments on this subject but we could never know the anguish that they grow up with. While we are on this Earth we should be happy and just be ourselves, whatever that may be.

• Upvote 3

Why does he think the world needs to know?

• Upvote 2

Because he is world famous through boxing and he can't just hide himself away and think nobody will notice. As soon as somebody goes to the Press, for a fistful of dollars for their story, his home will be the scene of a media frenzy. This will carry on until every detail is revealed. That is why he went public, so that the truth will be told, everyone will have their story and he can then carry on with his life in peace.

• Upvote 2

If a person is kind and cares about other peoples feelings and doesn't deliberately hurt anyone. I couldn't care a less if it's a man in a dress, a women in mans clothing, what ever their sexual preferences, or any thing that makes them happy. We are all on this Earth once, and why shouldn't we all have the chance to be happy. The time is coming when these things won't even be even discussed. Over the years we have had gay friends, and they have been some of the gentlest loving people I have known. Just let us all find and give happiness where we can.

• Upvote 4

Personally I don't give a monkees what people's sexuality is or isn't. What people get up to in their private life is just that, private.

However, I can never accept that this behaviour is normal, it isn't.

• Upvote 2

I am very tolerant and supportive of his decision and he needed, as others say, to tell the world himself before others told the world for him and for money. No one says that whether his decision is normal or not is important- who wants to be normal anyway???

What I am a lot less tolerant of is his standing for UKIP and making homophobic remarks which as far as I know he hasn't apologised for,

I'd rather be Mr Average than a freak.

• Upvote 2

When I was in my teens, (late 50's-early 60's) I was told that sex before marriage was wrong. When I was in my later teens and frequenting town on a regular basis, I was warned of the dangers of predatory homosexuals. It was almost unheard of in those days for someone to 'come out'. But over the last twenty years or so it has become the norm for sexual deviancies to be aired in public.

Many 'stars' and singers have aired their sex lives in public mainly to gain sympathy and for their traits to become the norm.

I know Maloneys situation is different, but it's a debasing of standards and the lowering of what has become acceptable.

What next ? bestiality and public bu66ery in the Market Square.

• Upvote 2

I can understand where basfordred and catfan are coming from. When we were young, homosexuals were regarded as perverts and freaks. I don't ever remember lesbians being mentioned. As time has passed it has become more accepted and gay people can now get married. For the older generation this is something they find hard to accept, especially when they see it on their favourite TV programmes. I've looked on Wiki regarding homosexuality and part of it states: 'It relates to biological factors, genetic and hormonal, particularly during the fetal development period that influence the resulting brain structure, and other characteristics such as handedness (left or right)'. So it seems that homosexuals are born that way and don't have a choice whether they are gay or straight. The thing that annoys me regarding gay people is the way they seem to flaunt it with their Gay Pride marches and want to ram it down your throat (no pun intended).

• Upvote 2

Exactly Michael , every TV prog these days has homosexuality in its storyline Corrie is rife with them just lately. And to see two blokes kissing just after I've had my tea is rather unnerving.

We were all warned about all sorts of things when we were young - it doesn't mean that, with experience of life and maturity, we have to go on believing what we were told years ago. Freak is a very offensive word and the fact that people now feel able to be openly gay isn't a "lowering" of what has become acceptable. What has become acceptable has changed, that's all

• Upvote 1

Maybe the need to publicise a condition and go into extreme detail about it is part of 'catharsis' in order to deal with it.

The fact is though, most people don't particularly want to know.

I don't want to know about Frank Maloney's sexual identity.

I'm not interested in most people's private and personal tenedencies and would generally prefer not to hear about them.

It seems to offend a lot of folk that 85% of the population are heterosexual and not interested in the more 'peculiar' aspects of human behaviour.

Acceptance is not enough - we've actually got to be forced to like whatever it is that being presented to us.

Recently on Question Time when they've been discussing gay marriage, anyone that wasn't 100% on board with it got boo'ed and hissed at.

It was extraordinary.

If you want to be allowed to think or act in a certain way - without fear or prejudice. Then you've got to return the compliment.

• Upvote 3

I hope I made myself clear, annswabey, with my post (#20). I used the words 'perverts and freaks' because thats how they were seen when I was a kid. Before the late 60's homosexuality was illegal and people went to prison for it. As time went on it was proved they were born that way and they became more accepted and homosexuality became legal. Despite this, the older generation, like basfordred, find it difficult to accept. I'm sure that by the time my grandchildren grow up, homosexuality won't be a topic of conversation like it is today.