What is Britain's most popular meal? -

I wonder if this is slightly biased because the population ratio has changed somewhat?

I like some curry dishes but I also like the Arabic dishes, Tagine for instance. I also like the lamb sausages called Mergers. Cooked in a tomato sauce they are wonderful.

A lips0

Indian food is not as popular here in Aus as it is back home.

Chinese would be the favourite Asian food sold here.Most of it(Chinese) is damn good too.The real taste of the food comes through.Not like curry Indian style which I never was a fan of anyway.

When it comes down to favourites though,give me a good roast dinner.It doesn't matter what meat.

The next would have to be seafood of almost anything that comes out of the sea.We are lucky enough to have an abundance of this down under.

My back teeth are under water now just thinking about it.

I think I might go and get my dinner . B)

Baz :ph34r:

;) Me thinks the Chinese are outnumbered here in Britain by the Indians hence there are more Indian Restaurants than Chinese........just an opinion and an educated guess based on the ratio of Indian to Chinese Restaurants here in Beeston.....

I love Indian food,and always make a beeline for Mansfield Rd when we visit Nottm.So imagine my delight when we got our own Indian restaurant run by a couple from Birminhgam,in our main st, & then to top it off just down the rd from where we live another Indian restaurant has opened & yes you guessed it!! one of the owners is Indian!! she even makes special bread to order, not Naan bread but something just as nice with potato in the middle & it soaks up the juices just nicely

;) You mention Mansfield road caz, that road must be the worse in Nottingham for litter empty bottles, half eaten kabbs strewn all over the pavement, vomit, and just generally untidiness, the buildings don't help either, some look run down, they could do with a good lick of paint. The plus side of all this is the Restaurants which are Brightening the place up, every time i take a walk up there a new one has opened and of course the pubs are not to bad too.....

It's just Nostalgic for me to go there & have a Ruby,I love Lamb Korma,& the pickle tray,ye gods i'm almost salivating

;) Lets hope your not to wet recalling those Notstalgia moments of curry's on Mansfield road caz?

:tease: Can anyone tell me what are those hot things that they give you after you have finished your meal are for...you burn your fingers trying to open them and when you have they have gone cold..never could understand the meaning of um.....

PS. Some years ago i went to Manchester and was told that they have a street there which is a mile long, which has curry restaurants the whole length of it...

Sh!t Den, those things have been giving me indigestion for years.

Taste Great though with a Vindaloo sauce and a nice Chianti!

What hot things are they Den? don't think i've had those.Sound interesting though. The pubs are good too,I remember the Lincolnshire Poacher,is it still there? Last time we went in there they were selling different flavoured beers,Peach was different,can't remember the rest. Just adding this to my places to visit,so many places so little time. !cheers!

There a good chinese on the left going up Mansfield Road near woodborough rd.

Name escapes me?

Cheap food bring yer own wine, from the offy a few doors away.

;) Poachers still their caz and they still sell many good beers. I pop in there on the odd occasion when i'm that side of nottingham, much quiter you see. They do a good sunday dinner aswell.

Regarding eating places on mansfield road, there are many, you name it it's on there..

• 7 years later...

I took part in a survey to find Britain's most popular take-away. Chinese won the day, followed by Fish & Chips joint with Indian [21% each]

I used to have a Chinese 3 or 4 times a week, funnily enough, Beef curry and chips, does that really constitute as Chinese?. a;ways though Curry was the nations favourite in recent years taking over from fish n chips but apparently it must be wrong. Pete..

I have to admit, when Americans ask me what I miss about England, my instant reply "a bloody good curry", that usually kills the conversation.

In fact I miss everything about England, but reading some of the posts, so much has changed,and being happy for the last twenty odd years living in America, I am sure I would find it hard to adapt.

Pete: This was teh result of a survey in which I took part. Since it was not a significant part of the population who took part it is open to interpretation. I don't know the exact numbers of respondents bu tit might be interesting to see just how many there were.

Thanks mate, well done in taking part in the survey. It may have not been a significant part of the population, but it doe's show our tastes do change. years ago I heard it was curry, and possibly before fish and chips. An interesting topic and result. I often eat Chinese, and when I dine out, the places are packed. Love the one near the Nottingham theater with the palladium front, also, The flaming Dragon corner house.

I'm intrigued how someone gets to participates in such a survey, and where it took place. Food being one of my favorite subjects. Thanks mate. Pete.

​P.S.What's your favorite?.

In this or another thread I mentioned The Red Hot buffet on Hockley.

I was wrong, Been to town on business yesterday.

RHB has moved to the Corner House. Must give it a try there :)

I heard a while back that the most popular dish in the UK was Chicken Tikki Masala!

Comfort food - for me, egg & chips work, but sausage, egg, chips and beans is even better! We can now get "vegetarian" baked beans over here that are very close to the Heinz, or HP you get over there!