He will be missed - an amazing actor and comedian. He always impressed me with the way he could turn an interview around so that he became the person asking the questions. Sad to think he may have died of his own hand.

Very sad. An amazingly funny man albeit in your face at times. A sad loss.

A very sad story to wake up to this morning, such was his character though, he always seemed to be living on the edge as far as I was concerned. I loved most of his films, he was pretty unforgettable in all of them. It's been interesting to hear some of the comments about them this morning, they bang on about Mrs Doubtfire, that's the only one I really disliked. One film I haven't heard mention, 'The Fisher King' directed by Terry Gilliam, I love it above all the others, if you've never seen it, watch it, you'll see what I mean about him living on the edge, he should have got an Oscar for that one.

In such a situation, I don't understand why the close family and in particular his wife, couldn't see the signs, but what do I know, poor bloke, he must have been really screwed up.

I'll miss you RW.

Pete

• Upvote 3

First became aware of him when I accidentally stumbled cross 'Mork and Mindy' in the early days of Channel 4. I usually ignore american sitcoms because they always descend into syrupy sentimentality, but M&M proved they can make them really funny and sharp. I don't think I ever saw him in anything else where he was such a natural for the part.

I was never a great fan of his OTT comedy but one film I bought on DVD was RV. In my opinion was very funny. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449089/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Another classic of his which not comedy but very good was Awakenings, which i also bought. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099077/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Odd that most of the talented comedians were manic depressives, anyway he died after a long battle with cocaine and alcohol.

That's news to me. In any case, Williams did seek treatment for his addictions, but the affliction that drugs, alcohol and doctors could not cure was depression.

• Upvote 1

Never done drugs, not even grass, and don't abuse alcohol.

The alcohol/cocaine story is on Yahoo news Eric.

I know about Robin Williams issues, my question regarded us treating celebrities differently, I certainly don't.

I have never had an abuse issue either, but then again, my talents have never been up for public scrutiny, nor have I been expected to keep reproducing those talents flawlessly before an extremely critical audience year after year. I do not wonder that those with the greatest performing talents often suffer from depression and substance abuse.

If you want to read an interesting insight into substance abuse, and rehabilitation, read Eric Clapton's autobiography.

• Upvote 1

And read 'My Cross To Bear' by Gregg Allman. And Ginger Bakers and Ian McClagan books.

In the last 10 years Robin Williams spent a lot of his time and money on entertaining the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

He also gave millions to various veterans organisations,constantly doing shows to raise money and awareness,to the plight of many homeless young veterans.

It is so easy to talk of the negatives when a person dies,we tend not to look at the positives in the same way.

Whether you liked his humour or not,he made us laugh,he was one of a kind.

Thank you,for all that you did in life Mr Williams,RIP.

• Upvote 4

So the famous write about their 'dope and booze' addiction,and expect people to pay good money to read about it.

They chose substance abuse,it wasn't forced on them.Whatever the outcome in their use of dope and booze,they first used it to get'high or a buzz'.

Countless people have suffered and died of substance abuse,and they never get to sell a book about it.They were not famous,but they were some ones son or daughter.

• Upvote 1