I know about Robin Williams issues, my question regarded us treating celebrities differently, I certainly don't.

I have never had an abuse issue either, but then again, my talents have never been up for public scrutiny, nor have I been expected to keep reproducing those talents flawlessly before an extremely critical audience year after year. I do not wonder that those with the greatest performing talents often suffer from depression and substance abuse.

If you want to read an interesting insight into substance abuse, and rehabilitation, read Eric Clapton's autobiography.

My opening remarks were in answer to another poster who said we all have abused drugs and alcohol Eric, not about Robin Williams, His broad "we all" doesn't count me, never touched drugs, never wanted to..I did smoke at one time, but saw the light. I do enjoy a beer, glass of wine and at Christmas some spirits.

Re #25, I have bought and read the four books mentioned above and it strengthens my decision never to touch drugs.

I've always liked a drink, but have rarely been drunk in the last fifteen years. At 68 I know my limits.

• Upvote 1

My post#25 never mentioned clinical depression,or the drugs that are used to combat depression.

Using dope or alcohol is not a cure for the problem.The correct medication,understanding the cause,and plenty of TLC can go a long way to help.

Spike Milligan was a manic depressive, interesting when you read his books how he lived with it and fought it..His war series books are hillerious..

Anyone so desperately depressed should be shown humanity and given help ,soldiers parents ,etc could have greater reasons than a commidien to be depressed, sometimes it's the drugs and drink that creates the depression,however anybody that sad should be helped,for being human not because they are famous.

• Upvote 2

Eddie Izzard has just been on Newsnight talking about the very sad suicide of Robin Williams.

It would have come across as very heartfelt were it not for the fact that he was in full women's makeup and wearing thigh-length boots.

Perhaps he thinks that's an appropriate way to talk about someone's death. Maybe he thinks he looks gorgeous (!)

Of course if he wants to look like a bricklayer morphing into his grandma then that's up to him.

Nobody is stopping him.

I'm just curious to know what his self-image is ?

How does he wish to be regarded ?

The BBC very often wants to look tolerant and supportive of equality (!). They'll put someone on like Grayson Perry to give his opinions about politics - though it's very difficult to take a man seriously who is dressed like Little Bo Peep.

• Upvote 1

Another warm candle flickers and dies,
But eternally shines bright, in all our minds-eyes.
His path here on Earth was fraught with illusion.
Delighting our lives with his manic elocution.
We'll miss this dear soul, for all of our days.
And remember him lovingly, for his comical ways.

R.I.P. Robin (Mork)
May your voyage back to Ork be as amusing for you,
as you made ours here, with your insanely wonderful view.

• Upvote 1

I am not a fan of Eddie izzard ,but unusual behaviour is sometimes a cover for other problems like mental health problems and depression can be linked to such problems,as seen with the likes of Frank Bruno ,people that's met him tell me he's a cracking fellow.perhaps that is why izzard was

Choose comment.

• Upvote 1

You only have to listen to his interviews to see the signs. My favourite of his films was Hook. Years ago my son Mark, then very young used to knock about with a neighbour's daughter, same age, called Mandy. We used to laugh at them watching Mork and Mindy together.