Street and Road Names, pre 1970's.

I remember when i was a child 1952 i went walking with my grandma down Hempshill Vale down a cart path to Hempshill Hall.Beautiful country side alas all gone today,housing estates named after astronauts and the M1 motorway.We lived on Temple dr.the street has not changed much but you can hear the traffic on the motorway.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From the link below, it looks like some of the mens names were from Thomas  Birkin's Son's. Perhaps other names have a Lace connection.   http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/places/f

Here's some information of Cloister St....plus photos. http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/cloister_st.htm

As far as anyone can be certain, that is approximately where Lenton Abbey/Priory was. The next road parallel to Cloister Street is Priory Street, which includes what is claimed to be a surviving col

What are the origins of the roads i Forest Fields? I lived on Leslie Road in the 50's. Names likeStanley Rd, Russell Rd, seem to be like men's names, But names like Harcourt Rd, Austen Ave, Laurie Ave, Tissington Rd, Gibson St, etc do not seem to have the connection. As one contributor has said, Basford had names like Zulu Rd, etc;, to cmmerorate the wars, but my old Rd....well, I just wondered

I dont know where the names of the roads came from, but did the name of  the area Forest Fields originate from when the area was first built upon with it being fields and adjacent to the forest as seen in the 1880 map .

forest-fields.gif

sorry I dont know why it came out so small.

56 minutes ago, OLDIE said:

What are the origins of the roads i Forest Fields? I lived on Leslie Road in the 50's. Names likeStanley Rd, Russell Rd, seem to be like men's names, But names like Harcourt Rd, Austen Ave, Laurie Ave, Tissington Rd, Gibson St, etc do not seem to have the connection. 

One possible explanation is that they are named after local dignitaries, politicians, businessmen and high-fliers who were well known at the time. 150 years later no-one remembers them.

Sad, that. But then again, thanks for your reply. Perhaps It would have been more interesting if I had lived on Baden-Powell St. No doubt  where that came from!. By the way, anybody remebering the Bendigo, good to know they are keeping the satue.

From the link below, it looks like some of the mens names were from Thomas  Birkin's Son's.

Perhaps other names have a Lace connection.

http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/places/forestfields.htm

The naming of some of the streets  showed clearly the influence of Thomas Isaac Birkin. His sons were Thomas Stanley (Stanley Road), Alexander Russell (Russell Road) and Richard Leslie (Leslie Road). A Wilfred Road, named after another son, Charles Wilfred, was intended but not built. Gladstone Street and Ewart Road may also have a Birkin connection as he was President of the Nottinghamshire Liberal Association and one of its principal subscribers. The first residents of the area were professional people and employers with a good number of lace occupations represented, including lace designers, salesmen and agents.

• Like 2

In Annesley the road which was Station Road leading down to where the train station was alongside the pit is now a part of Annesley Cutting for the new houses built on the pit site. I suppose Station Road sounded a bit too common. All the new roads and avenues are still 'the old pit yard ' for me :angry: