Memories of Victoria station

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took a girl home after meeting her at a dance and arranged to meet her the following evening. I was supposed to meet her outside the Victoria Station at 1930. However, I was over a hour late and was

This is by the well-known Nottingham photographer Frank Stephenson. It sums it up perfectly.

#19 Siddha I remember catching the ramblers train to Derbyshire on one occasion with a group of friends. One of us thought it would be a good idea but I'm not convinced it was our thing we were all i

Not seen much of it lately though have we.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Apologies if a link to this has been posted before. High(ish) quality short film, in colour, includes Nottingham Victoria station in use, and its demolition.

https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en-GB/asset/945349//great-central-railway-1960s-nottingham-victoria-station-exterior-and-platform-passengers-boarding-demolition-of-station

Mark

• Upvote 5

Thanks for posting, Mark. Really enjoyed seeing the old but ultimately sad footage. The Victoria Station is only just in my memory so it's good to compare with that.

I've had this hanging on my bog wall for around 35 years. It's one of a handful of my possessions which I would try to rescue in the event of a fire.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4po2e178eso6bh/small%20Nottingham%20Vic%201957%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg?dl=0

• Upvote 3

Working out when these clips were filmed, the sequence from 1.29.06 (the loco with a wreath) - that looks to be the 'Last day last train' to London. The other clips of the working station look less easy to date precisely.

Does anyone else think in some ways Nottingham Victoria is under-represented in photographs and history? Many photos of locomotives, but far fewer of the day-to-day life of the station or even parts of it such as the ticket hall. The clock that the overbridge carried, it seems to have been removed at an early date, perhaps it succumbed to the station atmosphere? The roof glazing - removed during WW2? The upper floors of the buildings on the platforms ... used ... for what?

It comes across as a cruel twist of fate that Nottingham lost this building (and that line) and it's difficult to imagine the feelings of staff who worked the line in the fifties and later found themselves tasked as crew on one of the freights that passed through the wreck of the station even as it was demolished - and later, through the hole in the ground that the demolition left behind.

It's difficult not to imagine an alternate future - with a cleaned and reglazed Nottingham Victoria, an electrified line. Then there's the other things that a station needs now. Where to put the automatic ticket gateline? That narrow entrance doesn't look as though it would have been particularly kind to the need for automatic barriers. Also, step free access to the platforms?

Found it very sad,probably because as a Van-lad at Midland Station in 1960 we often had to go to the Victoria station to un load a Scammel vehicle,they were strange motors,