Memories of Victoria station

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took a girl home after meeting her at a dance and arranged to meet her the following evening. I was supposed to meet her outside the Victoria Station at 1930. However, I was over a hour late and was

This is by the well-known Nottingham photographer Frank Stephenson. It sums it up perfectly.

#19 Siddha I remember catching the ramblers train to Derbyshire on one occasion with a group of friends. One of us thought it would be a good idea but I'm not convinced it was our thing we were all i

On Wednesday, September 03, 2014 at 11:30 AM, firbeck said:

Following the closure and demolition of Vic Station a bar was opened up under the Victoria Hotel called 'The Whistle Stop'. This displayed many of the signs removed from Vic Station as well as a section of a non-corridor carriage within the bar area. I must have left the area when this bar eventually closed and I've always wondered what happened to the items that were displayed in there, surely they were'nt chucked in a skip, though with pub franchises, it wouldn't surprise me.

Now I understand why it was called "the whistle stop" trains & all that!

It was good to see the photo of Cliff Ton's photo of Victoria Station (#105). It was the exact spot where I met my wife on our first date.

I'd met her a couple of days earlier at a Nottingham City Transport dance at the Elizabethan Ballroom on Parliament Street. I was over an hour late but she still waited for me. When I showed her the photo tonight she said that she was glad she did wait. So was I as we've had a great life together. :)

• Upvote 7

It was Miduck. We really were skint most of the time. When we couldn't afford the train fare (quite often), it had to be the x99 bus from Mount Street to Birmingham, then the train to W-ton. I'd be interested to know the fare (1964/66) if anyone has the information. A long time ago and my memory is a little faded round the edges. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

For a very concise, but in depth history of Nottingham Victoria Station, there's a great article in the May edition of Steam World magazine.

• 7 months later...

Interesting to see how much of the lineside scenery is still recognisable. On the viaduct through Broad Marsh a lot of the Lace Market hasn't changed.

I think the Nottingham section starts at 20:46 when it crosses the Trent at Wilford. It then goes through Arkwright Street station and gives an unusual view of the Meadows - from the viaduct.

Many years ago I walked through the railway tunnel from near the end of Gregory Boulevard to the big hole next to the Victoria Centre and back. I happened to be at the bus stop the other day at the bottom of Mansfield Road and with a while to spare had a quick look where the tunnel entrance was. I couldn’t see it or where it might be but didn’t look very hard as I’ve just had a back operation and move as little as possible. Can anyone say if it’s still there and where it is.

Its where the Open University building now stands, letsavago, now built over of course. The tunnel followed Mansfield Rd, I wouldn't be surprised if parts of it are still there but inaccessible nowadays. 

10 hours ago, TBI said:

Its where the Open University building now stands, letsavago, now built over of course. The tunnel followed Mansfield Rd, I wouldn't be surprised if parts of it are still there but inaccessible nowadays. 

When I walked through, probably 1977 give or take, it was in excellent condition. No track but nothing wrong with it at all. I very much doubt it’s been filled in so dare say it’s still there.

• 3 months later...