Who or what has helped to make Nottingham the city it is today?

Hello!

At Age UK Notts we're putting together a series about how the people of Nottingham have shaped the city today. In your opinions what key organisations or people have influenced the city?

We'd also really like to speak to some of these people, perhaps people who used to work at Boots, Raleigh or Players or maybe someone who helped to build a key landmark.

Any thoughts? Help would be much appreciated!

Jesse Boot would be a good start. D H Lawrence, Alan Sillitoe, Brian Clough etc.

Communities ,like meadows and st Anne's pre demolition,communities that like many of their time ,made up of war veterans and humane thinking human beings ,a time where people looked out for each other.however the city council at the time thought it a good idea to replace slums with ghettos.dispute this the good folk of nottingham have over the past 50 years help develop a city that has a lot going for it ,things like football ,ice skating ,rowing lake ,athletics,greyhound ,horse racing ,2excellent hospitals ,a excellent university, the list goes on and on ,but the main ingredient for this fantastic city is nottingham folk.nottingham successes were most successful when run and worked by nottingham people,when nottingham companies are taken over they usually deteriorate,with companies like breweries going downhill when taken over.as this site shows nottingham folk do take a pride in their city despite detrimental planning.Oh by the way when I speak of successes I am not always talking financial.

• Upvote 5

Several other industries contributed too, Nottingham Lace, various manufacturing companies like Beeston Boiler who boasted there isn't a school in the UK that isn't heated by our boilers or radiators. Dobsons, who made hydraulic roof supports for the mining industry and knitting frames for the clothes industry, then thousands that worked in the areas coal mines.

Plaster and plasterboards from Gotham and East Leakes British Plaster and Boards Ltd. Soap companies, engineering companies.

Nottingham had diversity, in the 50's and 60's a kid could leave school and walk into a trade apprenticeship, it's people were lucky enough to have full employment in a multitude of different jobs.

• Upvote 4

People who made Nottingham what it is today can also include the planners, architects and designers of the 1950s and 1960s who inflicted the concrete block monstrosities on the city centre. They should be embarrassed at their legacy.

There's a group of people employed by the Council/Corporation in the post-war years who decided that wholesale demolition of the city centre was needed (not just Drury Hill and Vic Station). It may not be something they should be proud of, but they were responsible for a lot of what makes Nottingham the city it is today. We are gradually getting rid of their mistakes, but there are still plenty remaining.

• Upvote 2

I made mention of them in my last post..

I have never known any one who hasn't heard of Nottingham Lace, as mentioned in #5 by Ayupmeducks

Robin Hood, Major Oak, Sherwood Forest, Nottingham Castle. But a few to mention.

The People of Nottingham and their Friendliness

And of course the Architect, Watson Fothergill

Not forgetting the man we all agree has opened up this fantastic Nottstalgia. Well Done mick2me.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget the Goose Fair!

And our reputation for having the best looking girls in the land :jumping:

• Upvote 3

Mick Twomey is an ordinary working class Nottingham lad, that came up with a terrific idea,'NOTTSTALGIA'.

It has become a worldwide phenomenon,and has brought thousands of people together with a strong bond,we all come from Nottingham.

The people of this city have been,hard working,industrious,warm hearted,generous,and always had a great sense of humour.

At 2:59,US eastern time,I raise my afternoon cup of tea to you all,'Cheers miducks',and God bless you all.

• Upvote 6

Men like John MOUNTENEY, Who passed away this week,he was devoted to Notts county,one time Director he served county for as long as i can remember in many promotional roles,he was also a director of AB Gibsons of Daybrook and Leivers wholesalers of Arnold,a real nottm Gent.

• Upvote 2

A Guild of weavers was,indeed,in existance in the year 1199. The position of the district in the wool trade reached its zenith in the middle

of the 14th century, when the price of Nottingham wool set the standard for all england.