Wilford Toll Bridge area

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this works ! Here is the photograph my Dad took in 1940 from his bedroom window. Smiffy

Here's another view of the area around Wilford Toll Bridge. The building just through the gates in my picture #32 can be clearly seen. Smiffy

What excellent pictures Smiffy just passed the bay window is Headon Terrace where my dad was born, he went to Bosworth St school is there any chance that your granddad went there as well. From the 40

05-0479m_zps69e0dc36.jpg

Another view above looking across the Clifton Pit back towards the Wilford Toll Bridge & GCR Railway Bridge.

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

I'm trying to find out what the building seen through the trees on image #42 and central to the image on #59 is, anyone any idea?

Smiffy

Looks like the river is in flood as well.

• 4 months later...

BUMP

I was just doing a bit of browsing this morning about the Deering School on the Internet, and reading about the dangers the pupils faced who had to cross the river. Somehow I ended up on this story about the Toll Bridge in the Post. Sorry if it as been covered before. I found the story of The Toll Bridge very Interesting Hope you do as well? http://www.nottinghampost.com/Bridging-treacherous-Trent-ended-tragic-death/story-16217452-detail/story.html

When I lived in wilford village they found a little girls body just short of the toll bridge ,perhaps early 80s ,perhaps they could have put a plaque in memory of that poor little soul that was killed so tragically.

The Wilford Bridge was opened on June 16 1870 by Lady Clifton was designed by Mr. E. W. Hughes, C.E. of London and carried out under his superintendence. The contractor for the masonry and brickwork was Mr. Charles Wright of Nottingham and for the ironwork Messrs. Hanyside & Co. of Derby.

A banquet to celebrate the event afterwards took place in the Exchange Hall under the presidency of Mr. Saul Isaac.

Cliff, are there two two buildings they look different. Isn't the building in the first picture on the opposite bank?

Here's what I think it all shows ........... In the first drawing the artist is standing on the Nottingham side, looking towards Wilford village (you can see Wilford church and the Ferry Inn); I think the building on the extreme right of that illustration may be the same building in the centre of the 1860s photo.