What's In Your Light Fittings?

Gradually changing over to LED light bulbs here, costs are coming down, and light output going up.

Even starting to think it's time the Fluorescent tubes should be replaced with retrofit led tubes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Basfordlad, yeah I thought they'd probably update the IEE regs to suit modern tech, most of the reasons for pull switches stemmed from the size of UK bathrooms, wasn't enough room to swing a cat...LOL

More than recoup the costs in energy and replacement. BUT, my primary reason is less energy, I'll be on battery soon. No idea what a lamp costs in the UK, but stateside they have dropped dramatically

Bulwell Cemetery ? Those LED lights will be gone next week. This is Bulwell, no respect for the living, never mind the dead.

More than recoup the costs in energy and replacement. BUT, my primary reason is less energy, I'll be on battery soon.

No idea what a lamp costs in the UK, but stateside they have dropped dramatically over the last couple of years, the best made by Cree are a little more expensive than the Chinese made lamps, but an equivalent 75 watt is around $10 or less on Amazon now.

• Upvote 1

Even in the stores LED prices are coming down. I bought a 75W equivalent LED at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $8.00!

I don't mind the CFs either, but because we are 110v, the "full on" time is slow compared to the British ones! The downside to the CF bulbs compared to the LEDs is that they are not dim-able! I think I will slowly switch to the LEDs.

CF's also have a limited lifespan.. Yep, LED lighting will be the way of the future. They are very bright though.

We bought a new bedside light for the spare bedroom for when Mother-in-law stays, a 4 watts LED bulb (40W equiv) was £7-49, a 9 watts CFL (40W equiv) was £1-04. We got the CFL at £1-04 as we'd probably never save £6-45 in reduced running costs of the LED. We also got a £1-04 CFL for above the telly..

A moan I've got is that new bedside light fittings take SES (Small Edison Screw, I think that's what it stands for) bulbs instead of bayonet bulbs. Seems we have to buy new bulbs now every time we buy a new light, moan, whinge..

They are the decorative bulb sizes here Steve, our bed side lamps have the standard size Edison screw. The type you're on about are used in wall lights and chandalear (sp) fixtures over here.

The problem with the CFL's as in all fluorescent bulbs and tubes is they contain mercury..

Disposing of them safely is a problem, in landfills they will break and leach the mercury into the water table, streams and rivers.

When i was skint in the 80s and living in Basford i had a light bulb (old type) that would'nt go out,it was in the bathroom and the string broke on ON,It was on permantley for at least 5 years, also the sink and door were hanging off,but they were some of our happiest days,we still reminise and laugh about those halcyon days,.

Probably cheap Chinese drivers Ray, the LED's should last many many years.

Your electric must have cost you a fortune Ben.... How come you didn't replace the pull cord???

All you had to do was unscrew the top off the switch, jiggle the old cord out it's holder, thread the new cord through the top, thread it through the hole in the pull section of the switch, then tie the cord into a knot that won't pull out.

And I've not seen a pullswitch in more than 35 years.....LOL

• Upvote 1

Last time I saw the regulations they were catfan, but I think they altered the regulations with the UK version of Ground Fault Interuption, something we always had in mining electrics, we called it earth fault protection, and later sensitive earth fault protection.

I think you will find, as long as you cannot touch the water tap and the light switch, you are not required to have a ceiling mounted pull switch.

Mick might be up on the IEE regulations, I didn't keep up with them as the mining electrical regs were the ones in my job, which were far stricter.

I know over here we have outlets in the bathrooms, UK we weren't allowed them unless they were mounted high up for say a radiant heater. The only outlet allowed under the IEE regs was a shaver outlet. But again that's probably changed.

All gobbledegook to me,anyway aint found another bulb like it ,it was a 60w osram,do they still make em?

As discussed on Ayupmeducks mining site: Hucknall has a lot of LED street lights, most of the bypass & up Watnall road is now LED's, seems strange seeing white street lights after being used to orange ones for so many years..

Most of the street lights in Mapperley Park were changed to LED white lights last year. I'm still getting used to them, I think they look ghostly and spooky!!

• Upvote 1