Richard Attenborough died aged 90

One fine actor who excelled in whatever role he played.

Thank God I had the pleasure of watching him on the silver screen.

His film directing and producing was just as exemplary

R.I.P. Richard Attenborough

• Upvote 2

Another good one sadly gone.

I met Lord Attenborough briefly 19 years ago. He was invited to present prizes at our boys school in Hertfordshire. I doubt he would have normally honoured that sort of request but the School Matron asked him to do it. She lived in at the school during term time but in the holidays she went to her cottage in Rothesay on the Isle of Bute and her next door neighbour up there was Richard Attenborough. He made a lovely speech to the leaving boys, presented the prizes and then spent time chatting to everyone (including me!) Is it just me or does everyone wonder how 1995 can be 19 years ago, it seems like yesterday!

RIP Sir Richard

• Upvote 6

He also had a (sort of) Nottingham connection. His Maternal Grandfather, Samuel Clegg, was the first Headmaster at Long Eaton Grammar School. Rumor has it that he (and his brother) were born in Sawley, but I think it is more likely that their mother was born in Sawley.

• Upvote 1

Well he had me believing in Santa Claus in the later version of Miracle on 34th Street!

He always came across as a lovely person and from the tributes paid he was. RIP Sir Richard.

• Upvote 1

A truly great actor and director many many of his films I saw and enjoyed, one of my favourites was GUNS AT BATASI. R.I.P. Sir Richard

#6 yes Limey,a definate conection Sawley way,i read somewhere he was on a train to Attenborough,and was woken up by someone shouting ATTENBOROUGH' or might have been his brother David?

As a child I watched many films on wet weekend afternoons.

My early impression of good and bad people was formed, I think, by the face of who played the goodie and who played the baddie in these films.

His character (Pinkie) in Brighton Rock scared me to death.

Coming home on a rather full bus one day with my Mother I had been taught to offer my seat to anyone older or of the opposite sex.

I stood for a while waiting for a seat to become vacant, as I knew from previous experience that quite a lot of passengers would get off soon.

I glanced around at the faces of the other seated passengers and noticed a man sat on the long side bench seats.

It was "Pinkie" or at least it looked like him ! He casually read a newspaper unaware that I had spotted him.

The bus rolled on a few more stops and a few passengers came downstairs to get off. Only one downstairs passenger, next to "Pinkie" got up and headed for the platform at the back.

My Mother nodded to me and then the vacant seat. I pretended to not notice, but she nodded again so I had no choice.

I slowly worked my way towards the empty seat and at that moment he "Pinkie" looked up, giving me a quick wink of his eye.

That was it, I was done for, what could I do - nothing....

I sat there rigid for the next 15 minutes until it was our turn to get off. I was so glad to be off that bus, it felt as if I had held my breath for ages.

Did you see him? I asked my Mother. See who? she said. "Pinkie" I was sat next to him on the bus. Who's "Pinkie" ? she said.

The next day we went to the local shops as it was my turn to carry the large brown paper shopping bags from the Grocers or butchers etc.

As I followed my Mother into the butchers there he was "Pinkie" large as life, behind the counter cutting meat.

He looked up and left what he was doing to serve my Mother. Slowly it dawned on me, it wasn't "Pinkie" at all. I just did not recognise him out of uniform.

I have forgotten the mans name, but every time someone went in he would give a wink to them.

As we all grew up and I went to the shops on my own I realised that he was quite a nice man and not at all like "Pinkie"

Years later, my early impression of Richard Attenborough's face changed as his characters changed in other films.

A great man - RIP.

Funny thing, an impressionable young mind.

Smiffy

PS:- The Grocer looked like Christopher Lee................

• Upvote 4
  • 2 years later...

I seem to remember the Attenboroughs having some connection with Nottingham. As a child, I attended ballet lessons and my teacher was Patricia James who used the lower clubroom of what was then the Cooperative Arts Theatre as her studio. There were a number of senior girls who would have been in their late teens and 20s. One of these was Mary Attenborough, a small, dark haired, serious girl who, I believe, was taking her dance teacher qualifications and occasionally took groups of younger students, including myself, who were preparing for the Royal Academy of Dancing grade examinations.  It was understood that Mary was the niece of Richard Attenborough and, therefore, also of David. This means there must have been a third brother who was not as well known as they were and Mary would have been his daughter. The only other thing I recall is that she often spoke about Basingstoke. Whether either of her famous uncles lived there at the time, I don't know.

She appears to have been born in 1945 the daughter of Wilfred V Attenborough and Winifred Widdowson. She was born in Nottingham, as was her father in 1911. This would suggest that she couldn't have been the niece of David and Dickie but she could have been related in some other way, I suppose.