Anyone who attended Douglas Primary School (at the top of Ilkeston Road) probably knows that it has since been converted into art studios. They are, however, putting an exhibition on from Thursday 11th Sept to Saturday 13th Sept between 12pm-6pm about the history of the school, so if anyone is interested in Heritage Open Days, here is the link with all the details!

If not, I'll report back any interesting history I find out about the building!!

http://www.weareprimary.org/2014/08/heritage-open-days/

• Upvote 1

I left between the age of six and seven and remember very little of the place now. Singing the Alphabet and the multiplication tables on the wall with names which indicated which one a pupil was up to. I know that I was already a good reader when I left so there's a plus for the way they taught back then, Nowt wrong with the three Rs Reading Ritin An Rithmatic.

• Upvote 2

dont know about douglas but know doug scott taught pe at cottesmore boys school he was there early 60s when dave was in the school rugby team.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 years later...

How come I've only just found this site ! Where have I been? I went to this school from 1948 to 1954. I can even remember having to have a lie down on little cots, when I were a toddler. Our class teacher was a bloke named Mr.Killingback. I believe the head was a Mr.Pearson. There used to be at the side of the playground, what we always thought air raid shelters, ( one floor with a concrete roof. Boys bogs were top of the main playground with a smaller above. In winter, when it snowed we used to create slides that extended from the top playground into halfway down the main. Top playground had a sort of what looked like a long car port, (though obviously not) and there was a bench all along the wall.

The caretaker used to live in the house on the corner of Seely road, that was where our entrance was. When walking to school, used to pass Melissa J's Mums pad, on Grant street. Was 11 years old when I left to go to Radford boulevard school. Jog my memory Melissa.

1 hour ago, Baconsandwich said:

I was part of the team that emptied the school when it closed. Nice building. I also helped empty Padstow, Eastglade and The Elms in St Anns when they closed. What a waste.

So that's where the copper pipes and lead roof went.:rolleyes::sorry:

A male nursery teacher would have been a very rare animal back then, big brother!

I started school at 4 and we never had a lie down on a cot in the afternoons. Might have liked it better if we had. Lots of people of my age and younger talk about afternoon naps when they started school. I obviously went to the wrong school...and at age 11, I definitely went to the wrong school!! :wacko:

He wornt' a nursery teacher little sis. He were our junior class teacher. From what I remember, there were two entrances on Douglas road. The first, a few yards up from Ilkeston road and went up about 4/5 steps. The second a bit further up and was just a single doorway gate. As juniors, our entrance was on Seely road, just above the caretakers house. Douglas road entrance I believe, led into the the assembly hall, which doubled as a dining room. The meals were served from dishes or trays, laid on a row of tables. I remember once waiting for me dinner in the queue and our teacher nearly stepped back into some spilt gravy. I yelled, " mind yourself sir", he promptly clipped me round the ear saying " You mean excuse me, you stupid boy"!! Funny what comes back to you din't it.

Interestingly, Google Earth showed me that both entrances are still there on Douglas road. Could even visualise where our ice slides were.

• 2 months later...

As a member of staff when this school closed 

Mrs Scott who taught at the school had a husband Don Scott who was a teacher and who died at the end of a half marathon run

If former pupils look on Facebook there is a group I went to Douglas Primary school where there are lots of photos of the school building and former pupils back to the 1950's

Welcome Mr. P. Wilson, it's  nice to find somebody who went to Douglas, even if were years after me. Begining to think it was just me and nobody seems to have attended Radford Boulevard. I left Douglas rd back in 1954, to progress to 'big' school. Wish I  knew someone  on facebook, so they could show me what I've  missed.

Keep posting sir.

• 4 months later...

Hiya.

Anyone went to Douglas on Seely Road?  Remember Mr Curtis the best teacher that ever was and Mr Jack's the worst Headmaster on the planet?

Donna, Denise.... What a class we were. Anyone around ? We're all 65/66 whether we like it or not.

Janice. Oh my.