Cycling Clubs of Nottingham

Never rode the track at Harvey Hadden.  Sorry to hear it closed.  I used to go with my uncle Geoff Key.  He was an SCC member in the fifties.  We liked to attend the Wednesday night meetings.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suppose it would have been the summer of 1970 when my boyfriend Johnny Aslin asked me to drive his car one evening along the A46 from Widmerpool  to Leicester at a steady speed (I’m thinking it would

It’s worth noting that Ron Hallam is still racing, and setting age records for most distances. He’s 90 this year and still as fit as a whippet.

Back in the 1930s, my dad was a founder member of Nottingham Wheelers. In fact, he met my mum on a club run. One of my brothers rode for the Wheelers. Later, in the 60s, dad was also a founder membe

1 hour ago, TrevA said:

Did any of you cyclists ever ride the track at Harvey Hadden? It sadly closed in 2003, when they redeveloped the athletics track.

No but I was a member of Notts AC in the 60s and had to walk across the cycle track to the old cinder running track, we weren’t permitted to walk across the cycle track in our spikes.  

Trev,

Rode Harvey Hadden quite a few times in the schoolboy events in the mid-week Track League. We used to get quite a few famous cyclists there, including Beryl Burton.

I also competed when the Sherwood had their track championships there. That was a bit of a mismatch as us youngsters had restricted gearing while the grownups could use whatever gear they liked.

I do know that no matter what time of year, it was always bloody freezing.

I only rode Saffron Lane once. The banking was intimidating. After the worlds in 1982, I don’t think the council spent a penny on upkeep. By the time it got demolished, it was a pitiful sight.

I rode the Harvey Hadden track league for the first two years after it opened. Previous track leagues were held on the grass track on Melbourne Park. I won the league during it's last year before it moved to HH. I never did as well on the hard track. You could slog and elbow it out on the grass but you needed speed and tactics on the hard track.

The Nottm Castle BC held their track championship on Melbourne Park and due to Lloyd Binch the then current National sprint champion not riding I won the prestigeous Portland Bowl - solid silver about a yard wide. I wonder it that still exists? My girlfriend at the time dug out a photo of her granddad and the Castle BC members standing either side a large table adorned with trophies. The Portland Bowl was the centre piece. That would be about the turn of the Century when cycling was a big thing.

On 6/3/2020 at 6:19 PM, philmayfield said:

They’re all round here in the Trent Valley. Never seen so many cyclists!

A lot of clubs meet up in Lowdham, or pass through on their rides. A favourite ride is along the river via Hoveringham, Thurgaton, Bleasby, Fiskerton, then either up to Southwell and into the hills into north Notts, or continue out to Averham and Kelham, then a loop through Bathley and the Muskhams back to Newark.