Cycling Clubs of Nottingham

There used to be a lot of cycling clubs in Nottingham. Here is a list from the 50's and 60's.

These are clubs that I belonged to at some time..

Nottingham Sphere CC, Nottingham Castle BC, Hucknall Road Club and N&D Clarion.

Then there were - Nottingham Wheelers, Basford Wheelers and a couple more I cant remember.

Of the four clubs that I belonged to, only one remains - N&D clarion but now as Nottingham Clarion being separated from Heanor Clarion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suppose it would have been the summer of 1970 when my boyfriend Johnny Aslin asked me to drive his car one evening along the A46 from Widmerpool  to Leicester at a steady speed (I’m thinking it would

It’s worth noting that Ron Hallam is still racing, and setting age records for most distances. He’s 90 this year and still as fit as a whippet.

Back in the 1930s, my dad was a founder member of Nottingham Wheelers. In fact, he met my mum on a club run. One of my brothers rode for the Wheelers. Later, in the 60s, dad was also a founder membe

Back in the 1930s, my dad was a founder member of Nottingham Wheelers. In fact, he met my mum on a club run. One of my brothers rode for the Wheelers.

Later, in the 60s, dad was also a founder member of Nottingham Arrow, which if I recall correctly as a merger of the Wheelers and, I think, Nottm Castle.

Me, I wanted to be different so joined the Sherwood when I started racing at the back end of the 60s. That club is still going strong.

• Like 1

Rob L - how could I forget the Sherwood! Just found a result sheet for Sherwood Cycling Club Open 50. 1965. President J Hemstock. Event sec HG Morris. Sherwood riders J Watson, D Tremayne, RJ Bates.

Other Nottm clubs mentioned - Nottm Pheonix, Long Eaton Paragon and Beeston RC,

..and of course Ericsson Wheelers with arguably the best British time trialist of all time Ray Booty. The first man to ride 100 miles in less than 4 hours.

Rob L - how could I forget the Sherwood! Just found a result sheet for Sherwood Cycling Club Open 50. 1965. President J Hemstock. Event sec HG Morris. Sherwood riders J Watson, D Tremayne, RJ Bates.

Now there's some names I remember. I was in the Sherwood CC in the early 1960s. Makes you wonder where they all are now?

Loppylugs,

Most are no longer with us, unfortunately. I think John Watson is still around, but Bert Morris's pipe finally went out about twenty years ago. Lyn James is still going strong, and his brother, Ken, is a neighbour of mine. Lost track of Ron Bates, so no idea if he is still around.

PP,

The very same!

I only got rid of dozens of boxes of his negatives a few weeks ago, so not much chance of getting any reprints.

Thanks for that link Rob. It brings back so many memories. I stayed at the 'Ranch' many times and did my first sub hour ride on the O2.

About 3 years ago I was sat next to Barry Hoban in the pub after the Stone Nocturne Town race - I said "hi Barry, last time I saw you was at the Ranch" that made him chuckle. The ranch was such a happy place. There are so many stories - Walt's crow pie, the 'tandem' toilets, sheets that were only 12" wide, the 'Booty' bed - could go on.

I have seen Lionel James and his wife Jacky in recent years - used to race against him on Melbourn Park grass tack in the 50's.

I still see Dave Scott and Mick Stevenson from Bulwell. Mick lives in France and I still ride with him.

Small world you know ....... I used to babysit for Lin James and his first wife Joan. They used to take me down the river and gravel pits at Holme Pierrepont (before it was the Water Sports Centre) and taught me to water ski. Had a lot of good times with that crowd. Bet you remember Don Lilley too?

Yes I remember Don Lilley. A very good rider. A bit older than me, as was Lin. Lin was a real star on the grass track. He wore a striking racing vest that had big stars on it - way before it's time in those days of drab cycling clothing.

btw Lizzie - have been looking through some old result sheets and found one where John Aslin beat me by a few seconds in a 25 mile TT held in 1961. He was 6th and I was 7th out of 120. He used to come to the grass track meetings too. Little did we know at that time that he would compete with some of Europe's best pro riders later in his career.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Someone not registered on Nottstalgia - only appearing as 'Guest' - has posted a message in connection with this cycling thread by clicking on 'Report post' .  As it's a 'Report' no-one will see it unless it's copied into the main part of the thread.

On 26/08/2014 at 1:32 PM, PeverilPeril said:

#6  Nick Loasby? I knew him well. Got loads of racing pics by him. He took our wedding photo's as well.

My name is John Hall and I am looking for a photo of Marion Robinson nee Spiby and Ilkeston rider in 1945-55.  From your posting, you have photos by Nick Loasby and I have been given Nick's name as a possible source.    Was Nick his true name.  I have found an F W Loasby that fits the bill.

If PeverilPeril (or anyone else) wants to reply to that query, please do it in the normal way.

I've never understood how a 'guest ' can post / report. I assumed that guests could view only.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Someone not registered on Nottstalgia - only appearing as 'Guest' - has posted a message in connection with this cycling thread by clicking on 'Report post' .  As it's a 'Report' no-one will see it unless it's copied into the main part of the thread.

My name is John Hall and I am looking for a photo of Marion Robinson nee Spiby and Ilkeston rider in 1945-55.  From your posting, you have photos by Nick Loasby and I have been given Nick's name as a possible source.    Was Nick his true name.  I have found an F W Loasby that fits the bill.

If PeverilPeril (or anyone else) wants to reply to that query, please do it in the normal way.

Hi John,

I suppose I should reply, seeing as he was my dad after all! Yes, it is indeed the same person. He acquired the "Nick" nickname back in the 1930s for some obscure reason and it stuck.

While I remember meeting Marion many years ago at various races and events my dad photographed, unfortunately very few of his prints, and none of his negatives now exist after the family cleared the house following his death nearly twenty years ago.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

John Hall? That name rings a bell. I suggest that you join the forum and then pm me. There was a Marion in the Heanor section of the Clarion. She was a friend of Wynn Maddocks but I do not know if it was the same Marion. The only pics I have by Nick are of me racing and my wedding photo's.

There's anther name from the past! Last time I saw Wynn was in the late 1990s when she had decided to get rid of a nearly-complete set of Bartholomews cloth half-inch maps from the 1940s/50s. Rather than let them go in the bin, she very kindly let me have them for a reasonable price. Still got them, as I'm a sucker for old maps. 

• Like 1

@BilboroughShirley I'm sure our parents would have know each other. My dad was a founder-member of the Wheelers and actually met my mum on a club-run in about 1934.

@Willow wilson I worked in Henry Lloyd's shop in Netherfield on Saturdays back in the early 1970s to supplement my meagre pocket money/racing fund. I remember Henry teaching me how to build and true wheels.

I was a close friend of Henry Lloyd for many years and was in the shop most Saturdays in the 50' and 60's. We rode 1000's of miles together. He built me a rather unusual wheel. All my wheels used tubs (Tubular tyres) but I wanted a front dyno hub for winter training. He scratched his head about spoke length but the finished wheel lasted for years.

I really should re learn how to scan and post pictures - got some nice ones that Nick took. Rob L - I have been in your dads dark room a couple of time when he was developing my pics.

I met up with some old Clarion members in Australia some years ago. John Rushton, Tony (Timber) Wood and Murrey Wardle. 

• Upvote 1

Always really appreciated Henry Loyd. I bought most,  if not all of the parts for my first decent, (Claude Butler) bike.  He built the wheels for me.  He let me pay over time.  I never liked borrowing to get things done, but he never worried about it.  I think I was more bothered about it than he was.

Probably  even met you P.P. Back in the early 60s when I'd call in on Saturdays to get a few more parts.

• Like 1