PeverilPeril

Cycling Clubs of Nottingham

My mother's family name was Whitlam, but our family history research revealed that it should have been Newton. Oo-er, Jill. perhaps we are related.

Oo-er indeed. Possibly related to the Dalai Chulla, eh?

My aunt, Marjorie Lucy Saunt, married a Newton in 1938.

If Marj's hubby came from North Wheatley, near Retford, then we are related. 

Chulla,  my mum was born and grew up in Saundby, the next village to North Wheatley, but she didn't belong to any cycling club!  She sometimes rode my dad's motorbike in the 1920s though... 

Hello all - my mum (born in Carlton, recently deceased) was in Nottm Phoenix CC in the 1950s/60s, either as Jean Bright (maiden name), Jean Dabell (first marriage) or Jean Cairns (second marriage). Would be interested to hear any memories of her, photos, race results etc. She moved to Long Eaton after that and joined LEPCC. Thanks.

Hello. I’m Trevor Adams.

ive been a member of Sherwood CC for 47 years and I’m the current club secretary. I knew Bert Morris, John Watson, Jack Henstock, Don Lilley, Pip Brooks and Alan Dowlman, who are all sadly no longer with us.

Frank Beale is nearly 90 and is our club President. I think he’s been a member since the mid 1940s.  Ron Bates is still around too. I used to be best mates with his sons Nigel and Martin, and John Watson’s son, Craig. The Bates boys no longer ride but Craig is the current club chairman. I recently saw Lin James too.

Anyone know Ed Ward, a member since the 1960’s and still riding today.

I bought my first proper road bike from Henry Lloyd’s shop in Netherfield.

I remember Nottingham Arrow CC too. They had 2 really good riders - Barry Martin and Mick Oldnall in the 1970’s

Notts Castle BC were still around when I started too. They got wound up in the early 80’s. I used to work with Ian Dickinson’s mum. Dave Bostock, who was a long time Castle member, joined Sherwood and is still riding with us today.

My son was in Beeston Road Club for a time, as we use to ride out with Sid Standard.