Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I am enquiring about my grandma's family who I was told lived in a house built out of the caves, there was a street above it that had a different access point. There was a slaughter house at the top of the street? My grandmas family name was Belshaw and she was one of 10 or eleven children. Mt Great Grandma Belshaw apparently used to write articles in the NPost re how life was in the "old days". I have a picture of the street I am interested in taken from an article in the post and rumur has it my grandma is sitting in one of the doorways?

If this street rings a bell I'l love to hear about it my grandma if she was alive today would be approx 92yrs old?

Thanks, Jack

Looking for any info on Belshaw family - my grandma Lydia's maiden name. I know mama had sisters called Edna, Mabel, Veronica, brother Bill and Edwin = sorry can't remember any more?

• Upvote 1

In 1911 a William Belshaw (occupation pavers labourer ) is living with wife Lydia Belshaw at 15 Water St,. Sneinton . 2 children with them , a William aged 4 and a newborn Edwin .

Bit confused here as these names fit and if they are the right family , Lydia Belshaws maiden name would actually have been Perkins .....Lydia Lilian Perkins. Actually now realise its a generation further back ! .

In addition to William and Edwin above , these are some children from a Belshaw / Perkins marriage :

Jun 1913 (>99%)Belshaw Charles

Sep 1914 (>99%)Belshaw Lydia L

Mar 1917 (>99%)Belshaw Rose

Jun 1918 (>99%)Belshaw Albert

Dec 1919 (>99%)Belshaw George

Jun 1921 (>99%)Belshaw Alice M

Mar 1924 (>99%) Belshaw Ernest

Sep 1926 (>99%)Belshaw Veronica

Dec 1927 (>99%)Belshaw Margaret

So looks like your Lydia whose mum was also called Lydia was born 1914 , so she would have been 100 not 92 ?

Sorry that doesn't really help with the later cave house address !

In January1936 a Lydia Belshaw of "March Street" was assaulted by a neighbour called Elizabeth Smith.

That could be the street as in a list of wartime shelters in 1939 , one is given as in "March Street (caves) off Walnut Tree Lane" .

I'm not 100% sure but read that Walnut Tree Lane was a continuation of Finkhill Street and there are images on Pictures of Past of Walnut Tree Lane being adjacent to Castle Gate so I am guessing its the street I have coloured orange .

Was March St. the street I have coloured yellow ?

14881033099_56457d6fd7_c.jpg

These are the type of houses in Castle Terrace area , which sound like the description in #1

NTGM019006.jpg

• Upvote 1

DAVIDW, you are correct in the location of those roads ! I've checked on a map with names; and the geography fits with caves and split-levels.

In 1911 a William Belshaw (occupation pavers labourer ) is living with wife Lydia Belshaw at 15 Water St,. Sneinton . 2 children with them , a William aged 4 and a newborn Edwin .

Water Street was in the area of Lower Parliament Street where all the bus garages are now located. No caves there.

That building on the right, it has a wall of windows, could that have been a lace finishers workshop???

Thank you so much for you help with this, David I recognise the names you have given me. My mum was only 42 when she passed away (I was 20) and her mother Lydia died the following year so all the info I've got is second or third hand. The picture of Marsh Street is very like the picture I've got, I just wish I knew how to put it on here - the whole thing fascinates me so any other info appreciated. I sat last night thinking about when we were younger and going to Goose Fair and sitting outside the pub with my brother drinking a bottle of lemonade whllst grown ups were inside and every now and again someone would come out and make sure we were ok!!

Look like lace workshops .

Also looks like the roof of the next door building that has railings along the roof edge could be a garden for the taller houses behind ? ( Would they have had roof gardens ?)

Jackpen its easy to post photos here (when you know how !) .

You really need an account with photobucket or flickr to host the pictures for you and then you link them to this site .

There are instructions here for using photobucket but in the meantime if you email me your photo I will post it here on your behalf .

Have sent a message to you , look for the red envelope at top of your page .

Seeing DAVIDW's photo at #11 rang a bell with me. Here's almost the same photo from the opposite angle. The most photographed washing line in history.

marshst.jpg

And the big building at the top of the road seems to have been a Dye Works. Would that have been what was suggested as a slaughter house in #1

dye.jpg

• Upvote 2

EEE them's fancy houses, they have balcony's, must 'ave "bin" the posh area of Nottinum...LOL

I sat last night thinking about when we were younger and going to Goose Fair and sitting outside the pub with my brother drinking a bottle of lemonade whllst grown ups were inside and every now and again someone would come out and make sure we were ok!!

Not nowadays, they take em inside the pub and let em run bleddy riot.

"We must think of the children" !

Hi cliff ton that's the picture!! My great aunt Mabel always said that my mama was sitting on the door step near where the dog is, where did u find the pic? I'm def hooked now on my search !! Thanks everyone for your help, need to delve deeper now into how they lived?

Ha ha yes same photo ! Though Jackpen's has a bit of a sepia tone to it .

marchstred.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...