Hi from Jackie - new yesterday!!

Hi all, came across this forum after finding an article in NPost. I was born in Aspley in my great aunt Edna's house. My mum was born and bred in Radford, Dad was from Corby, Northamptonshire and we moved there when I was about nine months old. We visited mama as often as we could, till the day she died my mum always thought of Nottingham as home. Mama's maiden name was Belshaw and I am fascinated to learn anything about her family and life in the 1900's. She lived on Trafalgar Street until she was moved into a flat on Denman gardens (opposite the old wash house). After my grandad Alec died she became a member of the Community association which was based in a shop at the bottom of the street?

Look forward to speaking to people on here and exchanging any memories/pictures.

Jackie

• Upvote 3

Hello Jackie,

You will like this forum, it's down to earth and (most of the time) friendly.

Smiffy

Welcome Jackie. My Mum and Dad were from Radford. Dad was a Hill and came from Croyden Road. My mum was a Stevenson (with a V) and came from Salisbury Street. My Aunt lived on Deman Street near the Dover Castle. She was married to a Stevenson.

Welcome Jackie, I knew a large family of Belshaws in the sixties, living at Bestwood Estate, perhaps descended ?

Welcome Jackie, I knew a large family of Belshaws in the sixties, living at Bestwood Estate, perhaps descended ?

I think you would have known Kev Belshaw Paulus.... He lives in Strelley.

Ayup Lizzie,

I have been having withdrawal symptoms all week. I found out on Thursday that I could have had 5 days internet access for about £21, but I decided to wait till I got home. Nice to be back on Nottstalgia. :)

• Upvote 1

Looe was great. Our Smugglers Cottage was Smashing, and really was 1min 40secs from the Beach and Harbour. Not Sun Tanned Though, just a bit Rain Battered Lol. Sorry to read you have been through the wars again catfan. I hope you are feeling better now.

Melissa. Re #16. My mum was born in Salisbury Street in 1923 and left to get married in 1944. My grandparents, William and Henrietta Stevenson still lived there until around 1962. When looking through the old White's and Wrights Directories, I found my grandparents name at I thing (but maybe wrong) number 79. There was another Stevenson family on Salisbury Street. My grandparents used to drink in the Marquis of Lorne.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Jackie, you are in the right place. :)

Did you say you saw us in the Nottingham Post?

Hi, I work for local Council and there was a piece in a local paper about Nottingham and job, I then clucked on it and it took me to NP where I read an article about the caves and there was a mention of your forum?