waterway terrace the meadows

Hi everyone,

Can someone help again. I have been trying to locate waterway terrace which I understand was off waterway street west. I have looked at the 1960s map of the meadows but cant find it. I lived in waterway terrace in 1964/5 age 17yrs with my gran elizabeth guy (nee Thurston)and her son Arthur alan thurston. 50yrs on my memory is hazy, I remember walking back from T. Simmons who made roller shutters and blinds to the meadows along wilford road, passing Bunnys cycles, over the railway bridge passing a pub ? then I think waterway street was on my left there was another pub ? on the corner of waterway st. walking along waterway st crossing over the road I think waterway terrace was on the right? You could walk into waterway terrace there was a brick wall at the terrace end, so you couldnt walk through. I would really appreciate any help, if anyone has a photo of waterway terrace that would be fantastic.

Many Thanks

Keith

Waterway Terrace was between 20 & 22 waterway Street West and ran through to Kinglake Street

House numbers were 2-16 & 1-15 lowest numbers waterway street end

P.S. just had another look at my map & there was a dead end to Waterway Terrace at the Kinnglake street end.

Hi Norman,

If you google "Waterway Terrace, Nottingham" you will find a link to "Picture the Past" showing a photograph.

Hope this helps?

Smiffy

Interesting detailed map there Cliff Ton.

Is a bigger area available, perhaps showing the whole of the Meadows down to Wilford Bridge?

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

The maps I have are 50" to the mile(4 maps to one square on an !" O.S map)

The meadows area takes about 6 maps to cover.(Ihave most of the city in this scale with about 6 boits missing)

But I have some even larger scale maps dated 1881 & the Meadows area takes 25 of these maps(I don't have them all)

I do have a further which has the whole area scale 1/2500 & it covers down to the river.

• Upvote 1

Is a bigger area available, perhaps showing the whole of the Meadows down to Wilford Bridge?

Wouldn't be able to post it on here covering that much area in that much detail. You need real paper maps, as Bubblewrap mentions.

I have a very large collection of maps

The 500/1 series (10 feet to the mile I have about 150 but not much of the town centre(I do have braad marsh & castle areas)

The 50" series I have most of the city plus some of the outlying areas(Mansfield?Sutton etc)

Plus other of what I would call area maps like Radford,meadows & Carlton

Then there are the county maps + bits

I suppose I have in total about 1,500 maps in total.

• Upvote 1

I have always thought that it would be interesting to make a Nottingham model using information from some of these detailed maps.

It would be similar to the architectural / planning models you see and show people Nottingham as it was before the unfortunate "improvements"

On another slightly different subject, can anyone remember the cross section model of Clifton Colliery in Wollaton Hall?

Part of it showed the River Trent with the Toll Bridge in the background.

Smiffy

On another slightly different subject, can anyone remember the cross section model of Clifton Colliery in Wollaton Hall?

Part of it showed the River Trent with the Toll Bridge in the background.

Smiffy

Yes I can remember that, not seen it the last few times I've been though, wonder what happened to it?

The pub on the corner of Waterway St. was 'The Castle' then ' the Locomotive' on the opposite corner to the "Imperial Picture House" with 'The Magna Carta' on the corner of Kirkewight St. Just had a 'memory blip' Sam Meakin, landlord of the Loco' & owner of the Imperial ?