Small Bakehouse Mapperley Carlton 60's-70's

i remember Frank the butcher, he used to make all the meat for my dads bakery around the corner, cannot remember his surname but know he died from a heart attack at work in the 80s sometime, think it closed after this. Next door was Wilsons the chemist and spent lots of pocket money in Twigdons ran by a elderly couple. Happy days.

• Upvote 2

No Margie not Woodthorpe I dont think.

My main round was down Whitingham to Moore then up to Westdale, up to Hazel grove, a few on Steadman then up to Mapperley plains out to just past the old miners welfare, I'd then pedal like buggery to get back home for breakfast before pedaling down to school in Gedling ! no wonder I had big thighs then.

And yes in all weathers rain shine and sometimes snow ! but It taught me to save and buy the things I wanted, my first buy was a transistor radio from Suggs on King or Market street.

I always had some jobs going at that time, even delivering groceries for Marsdens on Mapperley tops at one time. Now that was hard on their stupid bike with the basket up front, used to get some good tips though.

• Upvote 2

Our rounds must have crossed Banjo !

In the early 60s, used to collect money from customers of Watsons newsagents who were on tbe corner of Fernleigh for their delivered newspapers , always on a Sunday morning.

Would collect from posher houses near the baptist church on Westdale and up and down Kenrick, Kent And Moore Rd plus connecting roads too .

I got commission on what I collected .

• Upvote 2

There used to be a bakers shop on Carlton hill called straws ,mr straw would call at my mams with a basket full of bread ,cakes and biscuits.i loved the bread it was never sliced and just wrapped in tissue paper or not wrapped at all.i think it must have been late 50s

I remember Twigdons the newsagents, as well as the 'Tiled' butcher, my Father told me my Grandma used to own part of the Twigdons business... but was ' Done Down ' and lost money due to the other people involved.

You can still see where it was on Street view... Its now a ladies Gym.

• Upvote 1

Thinking once again about the butcher's shop- I seem to also remember one time I went in and there was sawdust on the floor! The meat must have been bloody that day to need that...

Margie, After we gave up our Beer Off in the 1980s I still needed to earn money so I worked on the counter in W-ton City Centre Butchers shops for a few years. Saw dust was used on the floors throughout the day even then, especially at the end of the day when everywhere was scrubbed. I don't know if it is still used today.

Sadly,I very rarely use a traditional butcher anymore, it is a shame but living on a budget, I have to go where it is cheapest, which means the big Supermarkets.

• Upvote 1

I went to Priory Junior School from 1970to 74, and used to buy sweets from the shop on the corner of First Avenue. It was known as 'Millies', and they sold penny and tupenny sweets that you chose from a tray - They must have had the patience of Job, serving child after child, getting the trays out time after time! I lived at the top of Appletree lane, and walked down it every day to school.

that's brilliant, Trickydicky - I am good friends with the family that live there now, and run the nursery, although the business has now moved to the top of Woodthorpe Drive, next to the Plainsman, and the nursery buildings are now used as a dance studio. Would love to see some of your pictures!