Hi everyone, just joined and interested if anyone knows anything about the long tall wall along Mansfield road, red hill. apparently it was built by my great grandfather mark sills of bulwell. Does anyone know when it was built and any more details? Many thanks

Welcome to Nottstalgia, humdinger, I'd be interested in any info you have on this subject.

My understanding is that the walls were originally built sometime after the cutting was excavated which was around the time of the Napoleonic Wars c1812. Before that time the hill was much higher at the level of the existing small road, Arch Hill, which is now left standing alongside it and leads onto Arch Bridge. The decision was taken to lessen the height of the hill as it was difficult to pass, particularly in winter, being so steep, muddy and rutted. To supposedly help the local community, generally framework knitters who were suffering great poverty were given the job to do and paid in bread to do the work. The scheme was also seen as a method of bringing some prosperity and business into the locality through better access.

The bridge was created by digging, all by manual means, the cutting out underneath it and built on top before taking the earth away. It was necessary to access farmland on the west side of the Mansfield Road. It's generally considered that the colour of the rock leading up the hill is where Redhill or the rubean rodam gets its name. at this time the Mansfield Road was often referred to as Sandy Lane for similar reasons.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. My grandfather Mark Sills lived 1866 to 1921 so could not have been involved in the original construction. Maybe he was involved when it was altered later. He was a bricklayer and later owned a building firm. He built houses in Bulwell too (where many of my family originate from). I need to check with my Mum but I think he built Farley Street where several of my relatives then moved into. the only picture I have of him is with his builders posing outside houses he had built (I will upload it when I get a chance). thanks

• Upvote 2

There wasn't a wall there originally when the cutting was dug out, humdinger, just an expanse of rock either side of the road I believe. Your grandfather would have been involved at a later date. There are a good few old pics on Picture the Past etc.