Badder and Peat map - Nottingham 1748

I think the dots Notty Ash is referring to are the very fine lines running sometimes up the middle of roads and sometimes across fields and buildings. I don't think they are trees, and an early tube network does look a better suggestion.

14948989929_6a7775e6c5_b.jpg

The dotted lines will mark the old Burghs of the early town IMO...The market place was split by a wall into Norman and Saxon Burghs for centuries and if you go back to the map part of the line of the wall is marked by the dotted line across the Market Place.

I like that map as it clearly shows the extremely narrow road from the north into the town via Boot Lane (Milton Street) So narrow that most wheeled vehicles turned right up what is now Forman Street and down to the market via Sheep Lane (Market Street)

• 1 year later...

The Local Studies Library has a fantastic quality copy of this map, much much better than in Deering and anything you can find online. Thankfully I have a copy of it at work and every time I look at it I see something new.

By the way, the map dates to 1744, not 1748.