Help For Heroes

When out and about, I often contribute to tin holders collecting for what I hope to be a deserving charity and this includes, 'Help For Heroes'. There recently opened in a relatively new shopping centre in Norwich a charity shop - 'Help For Heroes'. This brings up some questions for me.

1. Why should such things have to be for wounded members of the armed services who certainly

deserve assistance?

2. How many of these shops are there in expensive outlets such as in Norwich? Are there any in Nottingham?

3. Who is employed in these shops and who takes the profit? As with other charities, someone is at the top of the 'food chain'.

I'm always a bit cynical about charities. The website "Just Giving" who collect on behalf of charities charge 5% commission.

Theres no such thing as a free meal, some one is making a lot of money from charities.

Why should Help for Heroes exist ? surely men & women injured serving their country should be taken care of by the government, not have to beg for charity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

You are joking ,more likely to be arrested for murder ,we treat our ex servicemen like crap,anyone that is prepared to lay down their life for their country should be given the up most respect,and if they return home injured ,they should be given all the support that is needed,it should come under the heading deserved human rights,some other human rights should come under the heading of criminals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • 3 years later...

Don't know where he is now........hopefully Prison......or Iraq,,Syria,,Libya,,Afghanistan,, 

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

As it was a beautiful warm day on Saturday, we took a walk from Gunthorpe Lock almost to Bleasby, and on the way, passed the two memorials at Hoveringham commemorating the deaths of two crews of Lancaster bombers that crashed there in January, 1945. 

I believe both were as a result of training accidents, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are still heroes. Some were Canadians, and a few New Zealanders, and it was such a shame that they perished in this way, being so far from home, yet coming here to do their bit .

Next time, I'm at the Olde Tea Shoppe in Bleasby, I'll have a look at the memorial in the village.

I seem to remember passing a similar memorial in Car Colston many years ago. I must get Googling !

• Like 1

That’s a coincidence. We were dining at Tom Brown’s that lunchtime and we drove up to the lock afterwards. All the world and his wife were out on Saturday. I’ve never seen it so busy at at Gunthorpe. A big difference on Sunday, the Bleasby Tea Shop car park was deserted when we drove past in the heavy mist. The new aircrew memorial is in the glebe field next to the churchyard. It commemorates lives lost in aircraft collisions in the area.

Yes, Saturday was a scorcher, and the sun caught me well and truly. We'd just had a late breakfast at Woodberry's in Farnsfield, then a Trentside walk. It was fascinating watching the kids training in their dinghies on the lake at Hoveringham too. Idyllic !

I used to sail at Hoveringham in my Enterprise dinghy many years ago. Prior to that I had a Mirror dinghy which I built myself. I remember going with a borrowed van to Bell Woodworking on Narborough Rd. at Leicester to collect the kit of parts which required some serious gluing together!

Never went to Hoveringham.  I used to crew for friends at Stoke Bardolph then we went to join Beeston sailing club but we ended up time keeping. A bit boring so we didnt stay long.

• Like 1