I fully understand the forums policy on political/religeous threads and the legal implications wherby some members go too far,but i do feel that its taken something away from the forum as a whole.

Ive only been a member about 6 months and ive really enjoyed my time here,i just think its become a little less interesting of late,

JUST MY THOUGHTS,anyone else think the same,or is it just me?

• Upvote 9

Good....and hopefully so do many others....that's what the forum was designed to do....it's not really a discussion platform.....small inane threads like what have you in you sandwich e.t.c don't stick around for long....There used to be a 'chat ' function on here but it never got used ...and seems to have vanished.

I enjoy the threads on Nottingham and what Notts folk think on other people and places,especialy when they are humourus.

• Upvote 1

Good....and hopefully so do many others....that's what the forum was designed to do....it's not really a discussion platform.....small inane threads like what have you in you sandwich e.t.c don't stick around for long....There used to be a 'chat ' function on here but it never got used ...and seems to have vanished.

Cheese and Pickle ;)

• Upvote 1

Here's a point for discussion. It has been said that the lions at the council house roar when virgins go past. Anyone heard 'em?

Seriously though folks, I for one have not lived in Nottingham for nearly 50 years. I've put forward my own memories, some of which had already been discussed and there are posts which mean nothing to me whatsoever. I do find it interesting to know what's going on at present though and I enjoy a chat as much as anyone else. Keep it up friends!!!

• Upvote 2

I must admit, I joined over a year ago because of the Nottingham content, particularly the good old days.

The site then became somewhat a mini version of Facebook and Twitter to a certain extent and it did spoil the ambience of the Forum IMHO.

That said, the site has lost something over the past few weeks but, when all said and done; that is the right of the owner of the site, mick2me.....who incidentally must be away as he has not acknowledged his birthday greetings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us enjoy what we have..........our heritage, our memories and our one and only Nottingham.... unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag unionflag

• Upvote 2

On the whole it's a good site for information, exchanging views, chatting about the past and friiendliness. Unfortunately, like other forums and simliar organisations there's always on or two that have to spoil it for the majority by making stupid and uncalled for comments.

• Upvote 5

There is a pattern to people's likes,ironically it is the political content that attracts most discussion and interest ,and ironically people who think there is no room for it on this site are always among the readers of that content and no matter how heated or offensive it gets they are always up to speed with that content,were as normal content that don't interest us is ignored,and even though to some it can seem quite staid and boring we don't complain we just avoid it.

I often give a 'like' to something i disagree with,if i find it funny or admire the member for stating their view,.......like me Grandad always said,

Always listen to someone elses point of view.

• Upvote 3

I am some one that has sometimes over stepped the mark for which I have sincerely apologised,but when you give views on any subject at some point someone will disagree with what you say and take offence,having said that I do now try to understand opposing views no matter how distasteful I find them,but I would never complain just avoid.

The political and religious threads were not particularly popular with a large number of members. You will find that in almost all cases, it was the same half-dozen people having the same arguments over and over again. The majority of members did not take part in those threads, they consciously avoided them. There were a considerable number of people who stayed away from Nottstalgia when it went off down that direction; some have never returned to find out if things have gone back to normal.

Those threads tended to degenerate into slanging matches between the same parties, which in turn meant more people ignored those threads and the site in general. There were a number of posts from members making comments along the lines of "what's happened to Nottstalgia, it's losing what it used to be good at".

On a purely personal level, I found that the more politics and religion there is, the less I looked at the site. There were a few occasions where I found there was almost nothing here to interest me.

• Upvote 2

I agree with most of what you say Cliff Ton,...all i am saying is 'its a shame'...........perhaps should have banned the culprits or perhaps used the 'warning points?

We all have different interests,and folk should put their points of view in a non abusive way.

• Upvote 1

I prefer it without the political stuff, it's not the reason I first signed up here I began to find the site very unpalatable and hard to contribute to until I stopped posting altogether. I just don't come to Nottstalgia to debate immigration etc.

The nice things about Nottstalgia for me were about sharing our memories about the city we are all linked to. There is some great stuff and a wealth of Nottinghamshire knowledge contained within these pages I have also really enjoyed the historical facts and information available here too.

There's an obvious argument that states just ignore the political threads which I began to do but I found the general sentiments expressed in them by, as stated, the same posters with certain agendas beginning to pervade many, many other general threads making Nottstalgia as an entity unreadable for me. Just a personal view and all in my own humble opinion.

• Upvote 3

It seems to me a bit like body language in reverse. The tone of the threads leads to an impression of what people are like, perhaps even as to their appearance, even without a suitable photograph, which by the way I don't know how to place. Lucky for you! Yes we have different interests and views but also different characters lending more colour to Nottstalgia. How many of us are willing, or able to change their character?

• Upvote 1

Clifton your views are your views and your likes are your likes but remember other people may have different views and likes,I personally think that your input is brilliant and I am always amazed at how quick you find and post appropriate material,looking back over the years ,disagreements have often occurred and it is still fundamentally wrong to try and silence someone that wants different things in a forum ,what I still do not understand is why people not interested in getting involved in a subject continually keep going into that subject ,surely that is to force their will on others,I read a title if I have no interest I will not get involved in that content even if that subject goes on and on ,that is everyone's choice ,so give to others what you expect yourself.

• Upvote 3

The Nottstalgia that mick2me created is a fantastic forum, and I have said before, that I have learnt more about Nottm from being on Nottstalgia, than I ever thought possible as I left the area at a young age. Every day I go through the Archives and I see that over the years, many of the topics have been covered sometimes more than once, under different titles. If I find something interesting that I like, I will try to 'Bump' the topic. So much about Nottm as been covered over the years, and lots of information given by the people, who are ever on hand with their Knowledge. Many thanks to them all. There are bound to be quiet times, and that is where a lot of the Trivia and Comedy has crept in. The main thing is, we are all united in our interest in Nottingham..Historical and Current. I imagine we all zoom in like Bees round a Honey Pot when someone raises a new query about our Fair City. We are learning new things about Nottm every day, on Nottstalgia. I hope we continue for years to come.

• Upvote 8

Political views are unavoidable ,it is the one subject that involves every single one us ,like it or not ,look at your posts demolition,politics,railways politics,pits politics,trams,politics,t o say we should not get political is impossible.

• Upvote 4