Increasingly these days, hotels and other holiday accommodations have within their advertising the condition, 'No Children'. For myself, having had kids and holidayed with them and seen the behaviour of some, I'm with the 'No Children' 100% and look for this 'facility' in the brochures. What thoughts does everyone have about this barring of children?

• Upvote 3

We were all young once!

If they are well supervised and well behaved why should they be barred from such places.

How about "No grumbling old moaners allowed"!!!

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with both posts.

If kids are well behaved & I mean well behaved I have no problems.

I have visited establishments recently where the atmosphere I would only describe as "Bedlam", kids running around screaming & shouting with absolutely NO parental control.

I was in a Wetherspoon's Pub recently where a young child, not looking where she was going ran in to me. No worries but to rub salt in the wound the girl's irate father came shouting & spoiling for a bit of fisticuffs with me, but for Mrs Catfan's timely intervention there could have been a nasty situation he actually accused me of knocking his daughter out of the way. What ! & spill my ale.

So, I have no problems with properly supervised children, I would be a lot, lot happier though if families were segragated from non family guests, diners.

At the end of the day I suppose you only have to look at the parents to see what you are getting.

It has been pointed out that we were all young ourselves once, yes that it true, but I believe that kids were brought up a lot.lot better in those days.

Not forgetting pubs & restaurants are not playgrounds.

• Upvote 4

I have no problem with well behaved children myself but I do with badly behaved children. We can react to 'grumbling old moaners' but to react to kiddies in the same manner is certainly frowned upon by indignant parents.

• Upvote 1

Why do they allow kids in pubs??? I left in 1979 and don't recall pubs back then allowing kids in them. My late Mum and Dad used to take me to the pub odd times, like Sunday lunchtime, but was left in the back yard with a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps.

• Upvote 1

When it comes to being out in public, children are like dogs - they reflect their owners. If they have been brought up or trained well, they are perfectly ok in public places.

There are good and bad examples of both (and sometimes the bad ones can be difficult to tell apart). If the dog / child behaves badly in public it tells you everything about the parent / owner. If they behave well in public, their owner / parents are probably fairly civilised people.

• Upvote 3

I have often wondered if the leisure & catering industry leaned on governments to allow the change in the law.

It would be lovely to visit a pub where children were banned, I would not have liked to take my kids in pubs in the past.

• Upvote 1

Did'nt realise until last week why i never saw kids in the back Garden of Wetherspoons,reason is they are not allowed,because smoking is.Which i think is good also another rule about kids in Wetherspoons is they must have meal plus the parents are only allowed 2 drinks,again i reckon that is good,stops parents getting 'smashed all day whilst in charge of kids,which i'm sure a few in my beloved Bulwell would.

• Upvote 1

A lot of these posts are referring to children in pubs, the original post was not allowing them in hotels and holiday accommodations, there is a big difference.

• Upvote 2

My village local is inundated with kids and I do worry that there will be a nasty accident one day. Yesterday I was knocked over by a young girl on a bike just outside of the pub. I had no problem with that, being outside, but inside the pub it is bedlam. With uncontrolled kids running about I envisage someone carrying drinks being tripped over by a running child. The consequences could be quite serious with injuries to either or both parties. There is also the noise. Being totally deaf, I hear via a cochlear implant and screeching kids just wipe the processor program out. My friends with good hearing find the screeching a serious problem too.

I love to be surrounded by happy families with dogs and kids BUT they really should be under control.

The landlady just shrugs when someone complains. I have never complained because I am not a typical customer and I don't expect special treatment.

• Upvote 1

A lot of these posts are referring to children in pubs, the original post was not allowing them in hotels and holiday accommodations, there is a big difference.

You are quite correct Darkazana,we all need our legs slapping......... :)

• Upvote 2

We always go abroad out of season,so not usually any kids there,its still warm and i can strut my stuff by the pool without being laughed at,well apart from the wife that is.oh and the Hotel staff..........well alright and the other oldies, :)

• Upvote 3

We always have a similar problem when trying to book a holiday with our two dogs.

They are part of our family and we would not dream of putting them in kennels (the dogs that is)....

Time after time we see a nice holiday cottage / B & B but in small print at the bottom of the page the words - "no pets" jumps out at us.

The ones that do take dogs usually want to charge an extra amount per night for each dog so this can work out expensive too.

Having said that it also costs a small fortune to send one dog to a kennel, never mind two.

We have however found a nice place that not only takes dogs (and children) but will also let them sit under your table at meal times, as long as they are on a lead.

Now..... there's an idea for people with children in hotels & holiday venues etc......

Smiffy

• Upvote 4

Benjamin, this seems to be the best idea for folk who don't want their holidays "spoilt" by the presence of children.

August has been relatively quiet for us at Poolsbrook as families have gone for bucket and spade holidays, but the retirees have kept away because it was the school holidays, whereas this week has been manic with the return of the older campers, and just wait until the mid week discounts start again......

#12 that's very true. I suppose banning children from hotels is maybe unfair as what are families supposed to do?! But on the other hand I can see why people wouldn't like it.

I think my question may have been understood. My fault. Obviously children cannot be banned from hotels and the great majority of accommodations do not do so; indeed many offer reductions for minors with additional facilities for them. Let me put it another way. If you were planning a holiday and there were childless and with child options, which would you choose, assuming of course you had no children yourself?

• Upvote 1

I think with regard to children most of us have been there done it and got the tee shirt. I like to see and hear children play but 24/7 not anymore thanks. I can still remember pushing the pushchair around the british holiday resorts in the rain looking for places that had family rooms so if it's a little easier for young parents nowadays then good for them, the pubs need all the business they can get anyway. Must admit that the wife and I tend to look for adult only holidays but it might be different if we had Grandchildren. Horses for courses!!

• Upvote 5

It's amazing how many of our campers come with their grandchildren. I often wonder what the parents are doing and where they have gone for a holiday, though I do realise it's probably because they are both working and have no holiday child care perhaps.

Now we love our grandchildren dearly, but as you say mgread, we have been there, done that. It's taken us 23 years to close the door behind our last daughter leaving home and now it's time for us again. Which is why our caravan is a two berth! They can visit us at home and they are most welcome.

• Upvote 4

Just returning to the subject of children in pubs for a moment, I think there should be compromise. Many pubs have changed their complexion nowadays and are as much restaurants of a type as much as watering holes, in the case of some, predominantly food rather than drink is the main source of custom and therefore the focus.

I think it's the case but stand to be corrected that the Wetherspoon chain have a policy of no children after 8pm. Certainly, in the one local to me this is the case. That seems about right to me.

The Castle Rock pub I use often in Nottingham city centre has a policy of customers needing to ask permission for their kids to enter. There are seldom children in there but then, because it's more of a real ale pub and probably not the best place to take youngsters in any case. Additionally, few city centre pubs will have children in them after a certain hour for obvious reasons.

I drink in pubs in Scotland on my frequent visits and the culture there is very different with a majority of pubs, certainly in the areas I go to, not allowing children in at all. When friends come to visit me here in Nottingham they are pleasantly surprised that their kids can join us for an early evening meal in the pub.I enjoy the freedom of that too but I do enjoy pubs being child-free later in the evening which I think is how it should be.

• Upvote 3

I think my question may have been understood. My fault. Obviously children cannot be banned from hotels and the great majority of accommodations do not do so; indeed many offer reductions for minors with additional facilities for them. Let me put it another way. If you were planning a holiday and there were childless and with child options, which would you choose, assuming of course you had no children yourself?

If I was given the choice I'd pick no children tbh!! Also agree that after a certain time there shouldn't be kids allowed... but thankfully that is the case in most pubs I believe.
  • Upvote 2

I have had 5 of the little screaming brats, during my 2 marriages and now have a handful of grand children, but as for looking for a holiday without children, I would not dream of it, because most of the time it is them, that makes a holiday fun :)

• Upvote 2

benjamin1945 #11.

Agree with you on Wetherspoon's policy about children not allowed in no smoking areas, BUT , Wetherspoon's in Bulwell, the William Peverel, don't seem to enforce this rule, I have seen many children go in the no smoking area with their parents, no action by staff.

I have not seen or heard about the two drinks rule either, how would this be enforced ?

Children allowed until 9pm, thats fast approaching MY bedtime. :jumping:

• Upvote 2