On a recent visit to the Bulwell Riverside I came across an exibition of Bulwell photo's & I thought they were very good.

When I arrived home I had a rummage on the net & found the phographer's facebook page, so here you go & as they say Enjoy !

https://www.facebook.com/BulwellPhotos

• Upvote 7
  • 4 months later...

I remember my dad who, was from Bulwell mentioning the Legion at Percy Andrews, so yes,what was the connection?

I don't know - perhaps Percy Andrew's social club provided meeting facilities for them or something? I'm only speculating.

Anyone on here who used to work at Percy Andrew's?

My dad used to mention the Legion and Percy Andrews, originally I thought that was one of his mates, lol. That's why I queried it, my Bulwell knowldege is limited to my very early days visiting Gran on Commercial Rd and occasional visits since. I didn't know it was a social club. Anyway, I've just been researching and it seems the Legion used to meet there in the sixties.

I see!

Percy Andrew was one of the many dying & finishing (or similar) companies in the area, and their works was located down Jennison Street off Main Street (approx. where the Fine Fare supermarket is in that photo). They had a big chimney with 'Andrew' on it. They had a social club for the benefit of the employees, and I've found the following on a website:

'...the Bulwell branch of the British Legion holds a social evening at its new headquarters, the Percy Andrew Social Club off Main Street'

So that accounts for it. That's from:

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/news/local/memory-lane-1-2032241

Thanks Merthyr - yes that's the bit I found this afternoon. It's interesting Percy Andrew was Dyers & Finishers, that was my dad's trade but he worked at a factory on Cinderhill Rd, I think it was called Charles.

I don't know - perhaps Percy Andrew's social club provided meeting facilities for them or something? I'm only speculating.

Anyone on here who used to work at Percy Andrew's?

Sorry for cropping up again,but one summer holiday from school, I did a stint at Percy A. Percy was a self made man I understand. A good company. I would like to comment on his son but would be wary of the lawyers.! As well as the factory (Dyers & Finishers) he had a company on site which built Pre-boarding machines. He also bought Bosworth`s Builders. I have never seen such soul destroying conditions. The men stood all day putting nylon stockings onto metal leg shaped boards. It was horrendous. Whilst I was there one of the directors of the Sports Car Club (which was a side company of Percy`s son) topped himself with carbon monoxide in his car. Of further interest to me as a young lad was the way the beautiful receptionist would vanish for a couple of hours each afternoon `taking dictation'?

• 7 months later...

My eldest brother came to my home last Sunday to bring me my birthday card and present. He also gave me some old photos that he thought I'd like to look at. This photo is from about 1940 and he's the youngster at the front. He doesn't know who the people are but he says it was on Oxford Street, Bulwell. I've looked on Google Maps but I couldn't find an Oxford Street at Bulwell. Any ideas?

John%20On%20Oxford%20Street%20Bulwell._z

• Upvote 1

Was Oxford Street near Highbury Hospital and had the Oxford Pub on the corner? - Peter

• Upvote 1

I worked behind the bar there mid 60s,the room under the sign was called the 'Blood room',think ive mentioned this before,not seen that picture before Kev.

• Upvote 1