Finding Mary Marlow 1755

Hi! Brand newbee here , Im not sure of the appropriate forum for my inquiry so feel free to send me on my way but I am looking for a way to trace a name on a head stone in the St Leonards church in Wollaton? Im new to this part of Nottingham and was walking the sights and found a stone with my own name on it from 1755. [Mary Marlow] Ive asked in the church and looked for records online but Im new at this and would really like to find out about her , thanks for any help you can offer , Mary.

Welcome Mary, what does it feel like to be resurrected ?

Very interesting. Hope you have some success in your search.

• Upvote 1

Mary. It is highly unlikely that you will find out much about your namesake. The parish records for that church - held at the Nottingham Archives on microfilm and the actual registers - should tell you who her parents were, when she was born and when she died. This line of enquiry is OK if she was born with the name Marlow and never married. There will be no death certificate.

If she married, the Marriage Register will tell you who to, and the Birth Register will give names and dates of children's births. But that is about it. Of course, Marlow would have been her married name, in which case you start with the Marriage Register.

• Upvote 1

Hello and Welcome Mary,

I just had a look on Ancestry.com, but I can only go back to 1837 in the Deaths, so I'm afraid I can't help you in your research. But don't despair. Very soon you will have plenty of help from the Knowledgeable Nottstalgians. Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

https://familysearch.org/

I did a quick search on the above which is pretty good for the older dates and although there are quite a few entries for May Marlow back then in Nottinghamshire there is nothing for St Leonards, most of the entries come from Cuckney near Bassetlaw plus a few other local entries so it looks like chulla is right and it would mean looking at the church records at the archive.

• Upvote 1

I have found a later Mary Marlow in an 1888 Wrights Trade Directory.

She is listed as Mary Marlowe, curtain dresser, 6 Collin Street.

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

The earliest church records on line for Births , Deaths and Marriages for Wollaton seem to be 1813 , so not much use unfortunately .

• Upvote 1

Im new to this part of Nottingham and was walking the sights and found a stone with my own name on it from 1755. [Mary Marlow] Ive asked in the church and looked for records online but Im new at this and would really like to find out about her

Do you think you have any connection with this person, or is it just a coincidence of names? As others have said, finding anything about a death 250 years ago is going to be very difficult, especially as you have no links or information about those intervening 250 years. You could try contacting the staff at Nottinghamshire Archives http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/learning/history/archives/ If anyone can point you in the right direction, they will.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much to everyone for your welcome and advice :) Im am only recently a Marlow [one month] and the Mary Marlow on the stone was born in 1705 and died 1755 Her husband died several years later , His name was Thomas Marlow , they had a son also Thomas who died 1797 who married Dorothy , they too had a son also Thomas died 1807. A lot of the information I could have gleaned from the stones is largely illegible but they all strangely passed away in April of their respective years. Perhaps the result of bad winters and hard recovery? The only Marlows I have been able to find in church archives are James and Mary in the 19th century and they were married up Bulwell way ? I was hoping perhaps to trace where they might have lived but Im beginning to think thats unlikely :) It seems that three generations lived in the vicinity for that 100 years at least? My husband knows very little beyond his own grandparents and doesnt think there are any links to these long aga Marlows , but its nice to think they were kin perhaps distantly hehe :) Thanks again :)

• Upvote 2

This might be the Will for Thomas Marlow senior, at Nottingham Archives, although you haven't said when he died, so can't be sure

Level File Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives ReferenceNo PR/NW FullCatalogue View collection catalogue AccessionNo 7245 Title Will (05/02/1760), Bond of Thomas MARLOW of Wollaton, Servant to Lord Middleton Date 06/01/1769 Extent 1 bdl ContentDescription In Deanery of Nottingham AccessStatus Open
  • Upvote 2

Oh my that's wonderful! Thank you so much! [annswabey] That's more than I had hoped for bowdown I'm not familiar with the way the links work, is it possible to actually see the document or a copy of its content? Please excuse my ignorance but I am very excited to have something more to go on Thanks again!